1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Matt O'Riley

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Jan 20, 2022.

Discuss Matt O'Riley in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    His 83 year old gran moved to Glasgow from Denmark to watch the Hoops....

Thats dedication....And you lot call yourselves hardcore :56::56:

2. jimbobers Gold Member Gold Member

I love the fact a 21 year old had his gran staying with him !

thailandceltic likes this.
  3. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Don't blame her. Keep those dirty slags off the handsome chap. If it was me you'd think I was Brazilian at the end of my career :56: sometimes your family just keep you grounded. Guys going to be massive for us.

4. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He must go ballroom dancing with her going by his post match moves..

5. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Boys a star. Has to be a key player next year.

6. Keano88

7. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Think he's class and will only get better.

He has the potential to go right to the top imo.

martin_d likes this.
  8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Looks like he’s far too many bottles of wine and a couple of lines

Wllm likes this.
  9. Keano88

Probably texting his gran telling her he’ll be home soon.

What a gent.

10. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    His wee mate is gutted.

Looking adoring at our matt. And who can blame him

11. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Think he’ll be one of the few recent midfielders who’s game actually translates well to Europe and can cope with the step up.

Saul Goodman and Hammy89 like this.
  12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Telling her to book a flight and bring the lines

Artorias likes this.
  13. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
  14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

15. celtic warrior

Could be the one to watch next season.

Depending on how the season goes our Central midfield area, minus a real CDM (unless Ideguchi comes good after a pre season and time to shake off injury) is looking unreal...probably the best in years...sure Rogic has gone but we've still got so much talent there.

IF, we then add to the CDM style position...domestically we should be untouchable.

Basically I feel oddly very confident that Ideguchi and O'Riley could be massive for us next season

martin_d likes this.
  16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

AT any big club these days, there is an army of staff behind the scenes to cater for a player’s every need. That is evident here at Celtic’s pre-season training camp in Austria, where there seems to be a member of backroom staff for every couple of players.

Subsequently, these Celtic players are in prime physical condition, but what about their mental health? For Matt O’Riley, looking after his mental welfare is the single most important aspect of being a professional, and that is why he has his own mental coach to help him ensure he is also looking after himself in that regard.

Given the high pressure environment that O’Riley operates in with Celtic, he feels having such an outlet is vital, and he encourages his fellow professionals to also pay as much heed to their mental welfare as they do their physical condition.

“I have my own coach who I like working with,” O’Riley said. “Not just stuff on the pitch but also things on my general well-being because I think that helps a lot, as a player and a person. Hopefully, that shows by the way I play as well.

“He lives in India actually. I met him at Fulham about four years ago just as a friend. He has now become a coach as well and I think it helps that he is also a friend as well. Maybe if he was just a coach I wouldn’t have that same connection.

“He speaks English otherwise it would be a struggle. He was studying at university in England and he was an intern at Fulham. I immediately built up a relationship with him because I felt he really wanted to help me. I didn’t necessarily get the same feeling off everyone else there.

“If I was looking to do a bit more in the gym or elsewhere then he was the one that really took an interest in that.

“From the off we were very good friends and four years down the line we are doing Zoom calls a few days a week just to keep in touch, to keep things ticking over. Hopefully, I can get him over in the near future which would be cool.

“In football it is hard to open up sometimes because you are under so much stress and pressure. So it is good to have a person you can go to and tell how you are feeling.

“If something with my football is not good or in my personal life then I can speak about it and it helps me to keep quite a steady, level head.”

Slowly but surely, the old taboos around discussing mental health in football are falling away, as the effects of the toxic masculinity that used to define the game begins to dissipate.

That can only be a good thing, according to O’Riley, who is more than happy to help break down the stigma that men in general may once have felt around opening up about their feelings.

“I think so [it is getting easier to discuss mental health],” he said. “I am very open about it and I think it is the most important aspect of football.

“You can see if a player is not playing with confidence or a level-head on the pitch then it shows.

“There are so many cases where a player has been on fire and then a few weeks later they are struggling. It is probably down to their mind telling them the wrong thing etc.

“I think it is the most powerful thing and that is why I try and really work on it consciously. [I’ll do] stuff like meditation and stuff like that I do quite a lot to make sure my mind is in a good place on the pitch.

“I try to do something most days but the schedule out here is pretty hectic out here. Even if it is just a simple breathing exercise I just try and do something.”

O’Riley has had a lot to take in after making the move to Celtic from MK Dons in January. The 21-year-old settled into Ange Postecoglou’s side from the off, and ended an impressive opening to his Celtic career with a Scottish Premiership medal to show for his efforts.

In the short term, he is focused on showing an even greater improvement next season, with the departure of Tom Rogic perhaps increasing the burden on O’Riley to be a creative outlet for his team in behind the striker.

In the longer term, the sky is the limit, but he is certain he is in exactly the right place at the moment under exactly the right manager to continue his development as a player.

“I am not afraid to dream as big as I can,” he said.

“I can aim as high as I possibly can and that is what I will do.

“With the manager and the culture of the club it means you will always be striving to get better.”

AussieGreek likes this.
  19. World Champion

At the railroad bar, about seven o'clock.
    My gosh he's gorgeous.

Rydo1888* likes this.
  20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member