1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Matt O'Riley

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Notorious, Jan 20, 2022.

Discuss Matt O'Riley in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    No getting his move which he will blame on missing out on the euros

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryanm1984 likes this.
  2. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    What games has actually been properly ‘*’ in? He’s not been at his best, like most of the first half of the season, but 2nd half Motherwell and Dundee, I’d say he was very good there as well. He played through illness against Hearts, and BR’s said was ill still running up to the Livingston game. And those games I’d give the properly * label at.

But maybe BR should have * took him off instead of others when he’s playing through sickness because we’re short of numbers and need him, but when it’s not working for him and he doesn’t look like he should be playing through it, maybe leave Bernardo on rather than subbing him for O’Riley to get 90 mins.

Been hung out to dry if he’s been sick the last two games, and playing through it. Feel like fans are getting the claws out early for him here, because we know he’ll be away in the summer, and it makes it easier pretending he’s * rather than backing him through a bit of inconsistency after he’s been by far the best all year

greengrocer and Wllm like this.
  3. BigDoggyWoofWoof

There's an element of that. He's clearly the brightest young prospect in the team at the moment, unquestionably will go on to an EPL club. He's had his rotten moments in recent games but so have they all.

4. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    He’s one of those guys who has a drive and plan for him to get the most out of his career it was obvious from day dot that he’ll go when he feels he needs to, he’d done it rejecting Fulham in the academy for MK Dons, and moving from MK Dons to us for such a low fee.

Always feel there’s a disconnect between fans and a player when that’s the case, and we’d all be astonished if he’s here past the summer, so there’s no room for poor form and trusting in an improvement and supporting through the poor form.

Can only think of two other examples that makes me think that, we done it with Stuart Armstrong and we done it with Virgil Van Dijk. Can remember people saying Van Dijk was only as good as he was because Denayer was next to him at one stage, both talented brilliant players but Denayer was that good not just because his ability, but having Virgil next to him. Took him a while to recover his form and even prove he was a CB after leaving us, he was used a lot at RB or DM after us and his move to Lyon.

BigDoggyWoofWoof likes this.
  5. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    He’s been * since the start back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He’s definitely not been ‘*’ by any yard stick.

He’s just not been the guy from the first half of the season, which was sublime.

Liam Scales likes this.
  7. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Well deserved call up

8. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Aye there’s some players who it’s more ‘* for their standards’. O’Riley’s one we know can be better when it’s not been coming off for him recently but relatively if that was his base level of play, and didn’t have that prior comparison of what he can do, he’d be alright with some big moments.

Hopefully over his illness, annoyed at the last couple games he’s had playing through it and murmuring from the fans about dropping him or his head being elsewhere and we get a stormed against St Johnstone

PaulM1888 likes this.
  9. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    He hasnt had anywhere near the impact a player of his quality should have since the break. He needs to step it up.

10. henriks tongue

Especially if he wants that big move, with every poor/average game his opportunities shrink - that alone should be enough for him.

11. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    He's had 2 purple patches in his 2 years here.
    1 when he 1st signed and another at the start of this season.
    Majority of his time here he's been bang average.
    Was really looking forward to him leaving last summer, cannot * wait till he goes this year.

12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Sad thing is that’s probably not true, domestic performances they wouldn’t judge him on too much, he’ll have got the links and apparent concrete offer in Atletico Madrid’s case due to how he performed in the last two seasons in the CL, and particularly against them.

They won’t look at him destroying Dundee and have it swing further to them really wanting him, then have doubts when he doesn’t do it against Hearts and Livi.

Frustrating thing for us is our players will always be at the peak of popularity and the height of a fee in January after a good showing in the CL.

bhroom likes this.
  13. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    That's a * whopper even for you :giggle1:

HoopyT likes this.
  14. Crilly Hakuhna matata

I do find myself agreeing with a lot of the stuff you post on here mate but that is a really really bad shout tbf. O’Rileys been quality since joining, been bad the last few games while the whole team have been too tbf

Ryanm1984 likes this.
  15. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Last season he was really good, he didn't score many but he did get 14 assists and was always a big part in our attacking play.

He gets judged because we know how he can play. I hope he can pick himself up.

Ryanm1984 likes this.
  16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Some assist for Maeda but pretty poor again..

Some lovely positions but his touch and passing was poor overall..

Rydo1888*, Wllm and celtic20 like this.
  17. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Amazes me the stick he gets. Love watching this guy play football. Top player and he will go to the next level.

18. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Was walking about with an ice pack strapped to his knee at the end. Hopefully nothing serious

19. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    He's someone Iv never really taken to to be honest mate. Dunno if it's the fact he's kinda took Rogic's place and I hold him to that standard or it's fact he constantly looks miserable I dunno he's just a player I'm not a fan of. Altho I was given him plenty of praise at start of the season. I just feel hes a player that plays very within himself and really should be absolutely bossing games but he very rarely does

Crilly likes this.
  20. Crilly Hakuhna matata

I think he’s a very different player to rogic though rogic was an out and out 10 all day long. Last season O’Riley kinda played deeper and I thought linked the play so well but for me what he was best at was his pressing and amount of times he’d win the ball back up the pitch n start attacks. Up until Christmas i think he was a class above playing further forward. He has been quite poor recently though I think compared to how he usually but majority of the team have been too. Hoping he comes back from the break well up for it. An in form O’Riley would be massive for the run in imo, especially considering his goal contributions when he was on form. The transfer chat might have had his head a bit all over the place aswell also

Ryanm1984 likes this.