1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Matt O'Riley

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Jan 20, 2022.

Discuss Matt O'Riley in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    If it's a straight choice between him and McCarthy then hopefully big Ange starts him

DonnyCelt likes this.
  2. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    What is the international clearance all about? He was born and raised in england, surely he doesn't need clearance

3. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Need clearance as he's moving from one Football Association to another.

Dannybhoy81 likes this.
  4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

5. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

He looks slow and *

6. Lewis Kerr

Looks like a slow Rogic.

Zander likes this.
  7. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Ball sticks to his feet. Clip was obviously in slow motion.

Zander likes this.
  8. Fear Dearg

Fav Celtic Player:
    Pat Bonnar
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over
    Has to be a better option than James

McCarthy is a drain on the wage bill sadly

9. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

A hostile Tynecastle on a Wednesday night in January. No better place to put a marker down son…

Tommy25 likes this.
  10. Mr Cleansheets

Pffft...

I can do that.

11. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

ANGE POSTECOGLOU talks constantly about signing the person, not the player.

So when Russell Martin says Matt O’Riley once took an 80 per cent pay cut so he could play more football, Celtic boss Postecoglou seems to be getting his type of guy.

The surprise £1.5million signing from MK Dons could be set for a Celtic debut against Hearts at Tynecastle on Wednesday night.

Not only is Postecoglou without skipper Callum McGregor with a serious facial injury, he’s missing an entire engine room.

Yosuke Ideguchi and Liel Abada are also nursing knocks from Saturday’s win over Alloa, while David Turnbull is still crocked and Tom Rogic is on international duty.

But Martin — the former MK Dons gaffer who handed O’Riley the first-team chances he felt starved of at Fulham — insists the Aussie coach should have no fears pitching the playmaker straight in.

The former Scotland and Rangers defender reckons O’Riley can cover every base and has no doubts the fee will quickly look a snip.

Martin said: “Back in 2020 I spoke to an agent who said he had this boy, Matt O’Riley, and he was refusing a new contract at Fulham.

“He got offered a very good contract, but he was desperate to play. He didn’t want to be a squad player any more and was backing his ability to play first-team football.

“He didn’t think he’d get that chance at Fulham and was in talks with the likes of Borussia Dortmund, Southampton, Burnley, Chelsea. But nobody could agree compensation with Fulham as they wanted quite a bit of money.

“So it was about keeping him fit while that was going on.

“He came to train with us and right away it was like, ‘Wow, he’s some player’.

“He was good technically, two-footed, a brilliant finisher and just a really intelligent footballer.

“We really enjoyed having him and after a month he came and said he was really enjoying it too.

“He said the way we played football suited him and he’d love to explore trying to sign.

“It took us three months to get something in place with Fulham. It was the January 2021 window by the time we did it.

“He took a wage that was probably about a fifth of what he was offered at Fulham just to play first-team football, because he knew how much it suited him.

“He came in and hit the ground running. He played pretty much every game.”

O’Riley, 21, was a man in demand this window, with Swansea boss Martin dreaming of a reunion with his former project player.

But one chat with Postecoglou convinced him Celtic Park was the place to be.

The London-born midfielder has represented England at youth levels but speaks Danish and is eligible to play for them or Norway.

Martin said: “There were a lot of Championship clubs wanting him this time.

“But Matty sees the bigger picture. He didn’t want to just go anywhere for the sake of going.

“He wanted to play in a team that dominates the ball, where he can flourish and excel, so I don’t think he’d have jumped in this window for any team.

“When I found out about Celtic I spoke to him and he was really keen because of the size of the club and the way they play.

“He was really impressed with the new manager too. He takes all of that into account. We were never in the battle to sign him. I’d have loved to get him, but it wasn’t an option for us financially.”

Martin’s aware of the qualities required to play in Scotland.

The 29-cap defender spent six months on loan at Ibrox and did all his badges, including the Uefa Pro Licence, with the SFA.

That is why he has no qualms about O’Riley’s capacity to cope.

He said: “Physically, he’s fantastic, He was a pressing machine, scored a few goals, got some assists and could play deeper or higher.

“He played higher up for us most of the time because that was his preference. He ended up deeper this season but still got goals. He can do pretty much everything. He has good vision, he’s a good athlete and is an extremely articulate boy.

“He’s one of the most intelligent footballers I’ve ever worked with.

“He wants to learn and asks questions. He has a lot of belief in himself, which is why I don’t think he’ll have a problem playing up there under the expectation.

“He’s serious about his football too and he’s a great pro. He’s one of the best I’ve seen, dedication-wise, and one of the best I’ve ever worked with.

“He’s incredibly professional for such a young man. He helps others around him and understands the game brilliantly. He was respected very quickly in the dressing room.

“I’m convinced he’ll go on to play at the very top, but a huge part of his journey now is playing at a club as big as Celtic. Playing in Europe and all that, I don’t think any of that will faze him.

“I’m gutted we couldn’t get him, but I’m really pleased for him.

“MK have done brilliantly out of it, in terms of an investment over a year. He’s one of a number we brought in with no or very little money and sold for massive profit.

“Celtic have done brilliantly out of it too. His value as an asset and a financial investment makes it a no-brainer. He’ll be worth a lot more in a very short period of time.

“International caps will come for him too, whichever country he decides to go with.

“He’s young and he has every attribute you need. This move will give him another platform to show what he can do.”

Tommy25, Skelleto, Dazza and 2 others like this.
  13. Fear Dearg

Fav Celtic Player:
    Pat Bonnar
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over
    If it's a straight choice between anyone and McCarthy I hope Ange starts them

Artorias and Wee Baldy like this.
  14. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Being slow and * aside.

Without even seeing him.you can tell we've won a watch by just how many people wax lyrical about him

Artorias likes this.
  15. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Put this boy straight in on Wednesday night, I've a feeling he will light up this league and never look back. Him alongside Hatate will produce some special moments I think, then with Calmac and Kyogo back we will absolutely stroll the league.

Tommy25, Artorias and Hope N Ur Heart like this.
  16. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Number 33?! Man alive… Do we just not believe in the numbers 1-11 any more?* :56:

*Apart from doling out the 7 to any wannabe that fancies it, of course.

oh bhoy and Artorias like this.
  17. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

To be fair only 9 is available from 1-11

Captain Brown and martin_d like this.
  18. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    If I was moving to Celtic and the number 9 was available I’d be all over that like a fat kid on soft drink. However, I do understand that people have superstitions and favourite numbers depending on how they played when wearing a certain number.

martin_d likes this.
  19. Big Marn

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Ange Fenian Song
    no.99; two 9's are better than one 9.

Tommy25 likes this.
  20. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    I see 99 as unlucky, so no they aren’t better :giggle1: