1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Mark McKenzie

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Henrik 07, Jul 9, 2020.

Discuss Mark McKenzie in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Hoopy

I don't think he is what we need just now:

1. He is only 5.11" tall which is short for a CB. I'm old school and believe a CB should be built likt a brick * house and be 6.2" minimum.

2. We need experience, tried and tested - at 21 and playing in the MLS he is not in that mould.

Tommy25 likes this.
  2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Behave yourself.

Brian is the king

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic target Mark McKenzie has opened the door on a move to Parkhead by admitting he dreams of moving to Europe and playing in the Champions League.

Record Sport revealed last month that the American international is on the radar of Parkhead chiefs as they hunt a defensive replacement for the departed Croat Jozo Simunovic.

McKenzie has been scouted by Celtic recruitment staff having impressed with his form for Philadelphia Union at centre-back.

The 21-year-old has risen through the ranks of the American national set-up and was handed a first senior cap by his country five months ago when appearing as sub against Costa Rica after also captaining his nation at the 2020 Under-20 World Cup in Poland.

McKenzie, who is currently featuring in the MLS in Back tournament, is ready to take the next step in his career and admits playing abroad and at Europe’s highest level holds big appeal.

He said: “As a kid, you dream of playing at the top clubs in the world. Playing in top leagues and in Champions League and whatnot.

“It’s always a blessing to be able to draw interest from clubs in Europe.”

McKenzie, who has sparkled for Union since being nominated for 2018 MLS Rookie of the Year Award in his debut campaign in Philadelphia, can also operate in the left-back slot.

The stopper, who hails from the Bronx in New York, has 18 months left on his current deal, but can be snapped up for a fee understood to be around the £1 million mark.

McKenzie’s manager Jim Curtin believes his starlet and other Union young guns can make the big move and added: “In terms of the hype around our players, it’s real.

He said: “There’s been a lot of interest from teams from overseas. Their talent is certainly there and, if they continue to play the way they do, I’m sure some real concrete offers will come in for them.”

Any time a team in Major League Soccer has a promising young player — and teams pretty much all do these days — a game is more than just a chance to win. It’s a chance to put that young player in a shop window for foreign teams that want to buy him.

When the Union and Sporting Kansas City meet Thursday in a MLS tournament quarterfinal at Disney World (8 p.m., ESPN and ESPN Deportes), the lights in the window will be as bright as the ones over the field.

Scottish power Celtic is hot on the trail of Union centerback Mark McKenzie. His name has been all over Glasgow’s newspapers, though the proposed fee of around $1.25 million reported by Scotland’s Daily Record is too low for a sale.

Celtic is also reportedly watching Brenden Aaronson, as are Germany’s Hoffenheim, Borussia Mönchengladbach, Eintracht Frankfurt, and Freiburg, according to multiple reports.

Across the field, Kansas City’s Gianluca Busio has drawn interest from Italian juggernauts Juventus and Milan and a $4 million offer from Fiorentina, ESPN reported. Dutch clubs Feyenoord and PSV Eindhoven are also said to be watching.

McKenzie, Aaronson, and Busio have been big-time prospects for a while. But the attention earned during the MLS tournament feels different. It’s not just the national TV coverage of every game. Like with college basketball recruiting, when scouts want to see film, they’ll find it. And it’s not the Disney stage, because scouts can’t be in the bubble. The feeling is more intangible — the difference between a tournament and a regular-season’s grind. Even though this event was concocted to get around a pandemic, it’s got a certain spark.

“In terms of the hype around our players, it’s real,” Union manager Jim Curtin said Tuesday. “There’s a lot of reports and media covering some of our top players [and] there’s been a lot of interest from teams from overseas. … Their talent is certainly there, and if they continue to play the way they do, I’m sure some real concrete offers will come in for them.”

4. CountyDownFaithful

If we were to bring him in, I’d like to another CB come in as well. This lad sounds promising but he still has a lot of learning/development to do. We need someone who can confidently slot into CB when Jullien or Ajer aren’t fit.

5. StainseyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andy Hinkel !!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Thank * we never signed Puyol or Cannavaro then

6. GavCFC1

Based on not very much I want this lad in

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

8. celticdaft238

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    If three team of the week selections don't say he's the real deal I don't know what does! :giggle1:

Captain Brown likes this.
  9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Seems to be a top player.

Get him signed up

10. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I agree with these kind of. I'm not big on small CBs.

Before anyone says Cannavaro and Baresi...please.

But I still think this guy would be worth bringing in and seeing what he can do for about £2.5m. But youd have to bring him in with someone else from Europe. Proven.

Mr Hoopy likes this.
  11. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

His team is about to play Kansas in 45 mins, on Sky Sports if anyone is bored and sad like me.

Aaronson plays for the same mob.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  12. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Him and aaronsen together would be some business

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

13. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    He is listed as 6’0” on phildelphias official website and a few other sources. Could be that he has grown since a previously listed measurement.

14. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Is dealing with the MLS not a pure pain in the *? Does the league not own the players Rather than the clubs?

Tommy25 likes this.
  15. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik

He looks really athletic, strong, agile, quick. Seems to be comfortable enough passing the ball with both feet. Covers ground fast.
    But he also looks really really raw in terms of his defensive positioning and decision making, especially when the ball is in the air.

I think he would need quite a bit of coaching.

HoopswithPride likes this.
  16. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik

More footage of him here.

Again, seems quick, strong, decent leap, and comfortable passing the ball out from the back, but seems to get dragged out of position and dive in a but higher up than where he needs to be and sometimes doesnt seem aware of whats going on behind him.

But I dont think many would beat him in a foot race and he seems to come out on top of most tackles, albeit this seems to be highlights.

17. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    It’s free on free sports recorded it last night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. MJ9 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Only seen wee clips but he looks solid and can play a pass. Young too with ambitions of champions league so definitely worth more than a gander

19. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

This is what he was guilty of in last night’s game. Kept pressing the ball 10/15 yards out from the box and getting caught in no man’s land.

Has raw talent, though.

20. Gioventu UTLR Gold Member

They cry for us to bring him home

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.