1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Luca Connell

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Henrik 07, May 31, 2019.

Discuss Luca Connell in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freitassen

If this guy can play left back it would be a very good signing, two birds with one stone

2. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Could pair up with big Compper. Both of them will come good. Just watch. :50:

Artorias likes this.
  3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CELTIC have opened talks over a deal to land Republic of Ireland midfielder Luca Connell from Bolton.

The 18-year-old can leave the crisis-hit Championship club this summer for just training compensation – but the clubs are discussing a fee.

Neil Lennon is the clear leader in the race for the teenager who has attracted interest from Premier League clubs following his breakthrough into senior football.

Wolves, Norwich and Sheffield United tracked his progress, while Brighton and Southampton failed with bids in January.

But the Scottish champions are in pole position to land him and are talking with Bolton’s administrators about the structure of a deal, with no other clubs making an offer at this stage.

Connell was called up to the Ireland squad last month to cap up his stunning campaign.

The central midfielder is still a third-year scholar at Bolton but impressed in the second half of the season despite relegation to League One.

He can still switch countries to England but has told Mick McCarthy he is committed to Ireland following his call-up.

4. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Has Paddy Mcourt hair. Bring him home.

5. BhoysInGreen

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura. Current: Van Dijk/Lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry, Willie Maley
    Bring him home

6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Reportedly trying to finalise a deal for him..

7. Jeremie Frimpong

8. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Where you seeing this mate?

Hope we get him.

9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Celtic also hope to finalise a move for Irish youth international Luca Connell when he returns from international duty.

They are just waiting for Bolton’s administrators to hand over preferred bidder status before their bid is accepted.

The express @Officer Doofy

DennyCelt and Officer Doofy like this.
  10. Stevenh1992 SH92

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Roll of honour
    Would be a great signing. Young, versatile and experienced

11. Solidsnake

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    i saw that online as well, * is preferred bidder status:39:, just pay the compensation and bring him home:ynwacelti

12. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Would imagine he will go into the dev squad for a while.

13. mickcfc91

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Scott Brown .. All Time - Lubo n henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wiley Maley
    McGregors replacement.... :fear:

14. CountyDownFaithful

Thought the same initially but he’s had a taste of first team action with Bolton. He has plenty of clubs interested in him so I think he will be looking for some assurances with regards to likely game time.

He is likely to accumulate a decent amount of minutes with us due to the number of game we play per season, his versatility and our injury record.

15. DJ CJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    He’s played 10 games in the championship so might be closer to the first team than some think.

16. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/soccer/--933019.html

“Everyone knows Celtic are a massive club,” said the midfielder, who is also comfortable operating at left-back.

"It'd be an honour to represent them if that’s what the final decision is. I’m keeping my options open and hopefully I can take the right one in the next few weeks."

DennyCelt likes this.
  17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Deep into this summer like no other for in-demand Luca Connell, the green of Ireland rather than Celtic constitutes his main attraction. The 18-year-old Liverpudlian was the baby of Mick McCarthy’s squad at the May training camp in Portugal, propelled into the senior ranks following a breakthrough season in the Championship for Bolton Wanderers.

A very real prospect of his elevation being crowned with a full cap during the double-header against Denmark and Gibraltar was thwarted by an untimely thigh injury. Any game-time on the pitch in the Euro 2020 qualifiers would have finally mothballed fears of him emulating Jack Grealish and Declan Rice by defecting to his homeland

The player himself has dismissed that notion, supported by assertions of McCarthy’s assistant Robbie Keane, and the fact he’s intent on spending the best part of the next month in camp with Ireland U19s evidences his allegiance.

Speculation surrounding Connell has instead switched to his club situation. A dozen appearances for a Bolton outfit dogged by financial problems meant his contract situation got closely monitored by suitors. Now he’s a free agent, the teen is taking control of his own destiny.

Celtic have leapfrogged a number of English Premier League in the queue for his services but they’ll have to wait until his duties for Ireland are completed before working with him up close. Connell will be on the plane with the U19s trekking to Armenia on July 9, the same day Celtic face FK Sarajevo in the first leg of their opening Champions League tie.

“Everyone knows Celtic are a massive club,” said the midfielder, who is also comfortable operating at left-back.

It’d be an honour to represent them if that’s what the final decision is. I’m keeping my options open and hopefully I can take the right one in the next few weeks.

I’m ready to go to the Euros in the next few weeks and I’m pretty certain that I’ll be available. It’s a massive tournament and a good achievement personally if I do get picked.”

As the youngster surveys his various options, the main selection criteria centres on his activity levels. A taste of first-team action, albeit in a struggling team last term, has diminished his patience levels.

Many a player, even Virgil van Dijk, used the Scottish league as a springboard and it seems windows, rather than wealth, forms his motivation.

“I just want to make sure I’m playing, wherever I go,” he notes. “I’ve read in the media that lots of big clubs are interested but I think at this age it’s important to be playing. Then hopefully the money will come with that.

“It has been a busy summer. I’ve had quite a few clubs interested but they come and go by the day. Let’s see which ones stick by me

McCarthy definitely isn’t losing faith in Connell. He could have drafted into his squad an older player, such as Danny Crowley flourishing in the Netherlands, but the Ireland boss trusted his instinct and felt vindicated by his wildcard approach.

The rookie wasn’t out of place during his week in the sun, one incident demonstrating the comfort he felt in the surrounds

Robbie Keane asked us to strike the bar with a ball from 30 yards, making sure it rebounded into the goal facing opposite,” Connell explained.

“I just thought: ‘Go on, then,’ so I had a go and did it the first time, maybe luckily. Robbie was just like: ‘Pffft, well done.’ “Quality wise, I didn’t feel far off but there was a noticeable difference in the fitness required. I could feel it in the first few days, especially the double sessions before getting up to scratch by the end of the week.”

Reverting to his original age-group from the senior ranks could be a challenge for a player, yet not for Connell.

“I had a great time with the squad, learning lots from the likes of Jeff Hendrick, but this is where I came from,” he says.

“A lot of the U19 lads have asked me about the experience of being around the seniors. It is a higher standard but this group of players are capable of rising to that level.”

18. Cambo9191

upload_2019-6-27_12-40-3.jpeg Looks like this lads getting the tour by big Pedro

Attached Files:

Tommy25 and Belgian_lad like this.
  19. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Good stuff. Actually quite excited by this one. Bolton fans and other fans from down south have been raving about him.

20. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Two week medical in waiting......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.