1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Liam Scales

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Valhalla, Aug 27, 2021.

Discuss Liam Scales in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Seen enough there to suggest he'll be our starting left back..

Quick
    Excellent in the air
    Good in the challenge, particularly standing up

Noticeable weakness was his first touch a few time's but Ange can make a player of him..

martin_d, paulo123 and The Prof like this.
  2. Celtic Bhoy 94

Runs like Ajer, Heads like Ibrahimovic & passes like Pirlo what else could you want?

honda likes this.
  3. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

His squad number has made me question my expectations of him. You don’t just hand out no.5 to some project.

Hammy89 likes this.
  4. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Hope it doesn’t weigh him down.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  5. ddub11

No reason to think this guy will be a success,cant see what he has done to catch the eye of celtic.

As an Irish man id love him to be a success at Celtic but i cant understand why the club feel this guy is as good as they can get.The standard he has played at LOI is rubbish and i wonder what the scouts see in him.

I do hope it works out for him and us and i actually look forward to see how he gets on but imo this is an unnecessary risk the club are taking.

martin_d likes this.
  6. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    I like the look of him. Would rather see what he's like than give Taylor a go.

7. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Shamrock Rovers have lost all their games since he left:ange2:

mayo and Hammy89 like this.
  8. saltire78

Huh? *? :43:

How about no reason to believe he WON'T be a success? He's succeeded at every level he's played, and has just proceeded to full international. And at <£1M I fail to see how he's much of a risk at all...

FranceCelt, Saul Goodman and HoopyT like this.
  9. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    As optimistic as I’m choosing to be (based on little else than that YouTube video and his club interview), I can’t shake this same feeling either, especially if he’s been bought to play LB, as seems likely.

Would have been less of a risk to spend a bit bigger on someone from a better level.

Holding out hope he can do well, though. Seems to have his head screwed on, and some decent defensive qualities. Could just be a late bloomer who took an unconventional route into the game.

ddub11 likes this.
  10. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    The risk was/is in choosing him over other signing targets (especially at LB). Honestly, a part of me believes it’s merely his ability to play both CB and LB - added to his Irishness - that has swayed the scouts.

Whether or not he goes on to do well (and he definitely could), there are still many other LB options around that would represent less of a gamble - be that because they’ve played more football, or at a higher level, or both, etc.

MagicBallBhoy likes this.
  11. saltire78

We're soft as baby's * all the way down our left and this guy can play LB, LCB, LM and LDM. He's a young, new international we picked up for a pittance. And you're suggesting one of the defining reasons we're interested is only because he's Irish?

He's got more European experience than almost any player in Scotland outside Glasgow, he's started to be called up to full international level so I assume he's got U21 experience too. He's tall, strong, fast and has great reputation for skills and attitude and even at his age had maturity to finish studies at college before following the big lights and cash.

Gotta be honest, I just feel like this is 100% déjà vu for Ajer, with the 'little' Irish origin Vs Norwegian... I'm not feeling the negativity at all.

Just my opinion, but I feel great about this signing and if people feel that we should have signed more experience then I think that's a different matter to this guy's worth to us - in both senses.

Spring Time and muaythai postie like this.
  12. jambo_cfc

Cant judge players because what league they came from and what nationality they are , roy keane , kevin doyle , coleman , shane long off the top of my head all started in league of Ireland and had very good careers. Boy needs to be judged after games , peoples reactions cause we havent spent millions on a left back just have to look at the dross we have spent at lb recently, look at izaguirre he cost less than a million and other than tierney is the best left back we have had in recent times

saltire78 and thailandceltic like this.
  13. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Like a proven Uruguayan international from Milan or a Dutch world cup finalist from Munich. I'm happy enough to give this guy a go and too much is made of these days whether a player is Irish or not.

Tommy25, Sentinel and saltire78 like this.
  14. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    There is literally zero risk with this transfer.

Tommy25, FranceCelt, HoopyT and 4 others like this.
  15. ddub11

The risk is time/game time spent/money spent on a player who has shown little to warrant a place in the team.

martin_d likes this.
  16. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    I think this has to be part of the way we operate, when a player gets to the point of excelling they are usually outwith our grasp, so we need to look for rough potential before it blossoms. Most won't work out but half a mil is nothing really

FranceCelt and ddub11 like this.
  17. ddub11

Every level?he done nothing at Loi (aside from being a good player)and im open to correction but did he not go to Bristol and Man city and nothing came of that?.

I mean it hardly succeeding at every level when all hes done is play in the league of Ireland.Not sure about the 1million tag but either way id rather see it spent on bring in or invested in younger players who with a bit of luck the develop to be top players and we sell on for a nice profit, at 23 the chances of that happen with scales is slim.

18. muaythai postie

Fav Celtic Player:
    lubo
    How dare we sign this guy bcoz he played in Ireland and might be pish...wish we'd never signed that swedish guy who couldn't get a game for feyenoord or the wee Slovakian guy from the German 2nd division. Oh wait a minute :43: give the boy a chance ffs.

19. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Did Seamie Coleman not go on trial to Celtic and nothing came of it?

Tommy25 and Saul Goodman like this.
  20. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    We have spent in modern terms, an absolute pittance on him and I doubt he is on a fortune per week. £7-8k tops.

There really isn't a risk. We try him, it doesn't work out, we don't lose £4m like with Klimala etc.

I don't get why you're so against this, just seems a bizarre transfer to properly moan at considering the miniscule risk involved:giggle1:.

I'm not for signing LOI players constantly but by all accounts a lot of people are saying he's the best player in the league. By a fair bit. Do you disagree?

AussieGreek, ArturBorucCSC and HTG like this.