1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Lee O'Connor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The Thumb, Sep 2, 2019.

Discuss Lee O'Connor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Of course we could, but I don't think the issue is with the academy per se, it's more the fact we pick the cheap options when it comes to staffing and scouting for it. Until they start filling it with top coaches, instead of ex players, we are going to struggle there.

But as far as bringing in players like O'Connor it makes sense. Get them for development fees, which is peanuts in a cross border transfer, they won't be on high wages either, then if they make it brilliant, you save yourself a few million in bringing in another player and can sell them on in a few years for a hefty profit. If they don't make it you loan them out and get a loan fee for them, plus have a chunk of thie wages covered. Do that for a couple of years and you have probably covered their costs and if you can punt them for even a nominal fee you are still in profit. It's what Man City do to get around FFP, they just do it on a much grander scale.

2. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    We heard on here that this was ‘Ireland’s golden generation’ when O’Connor wasn’t ever better than Ralston never mind Frimpong who we signed on the same day as him.

eire4 likes this.
  3. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Well you did not hear phrase from me and it is utter nonsense. In fact I have consistently been very critical of the development structures within Ireland in terms of bringing through our most promising young players.
    I will stand by what I said about Lee O'Connor though .At the time when he signed I though it was good move as I rated him having watched him play multiple times for Ireland U21's and U19's. In the end it has not worked out which happens. So I hope that O'Connor is able to find a decent deal and make a permanent move that works out for him after his current loan deal is over.

NomDePlum likes this.
  4. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

On the bench for Ireland under 21s today.. tells you all you need to know really.

5. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Aye he's never gonna make it here..

6. King Kwon Gold Member Gold Member

All it really says is that he hasn't been playing. Even if he'd started the season with Tranmere he'd have most likely started. I'm not saying he'll ever be good enough for Celtic but if it's clear he's not wanted here the club should cut ties and sell or release, not good for anybody when the club barely acknowledges his existence.

7. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    How do you come to that conclusion? They just let him go out on loan to give him a chance to develop

8. King Kwon Gold Member Gold Member

Ange literally called Ralston the only right back in the squad a few weeks ago, he's clearly not in his plans.

9. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

He sees him as a youth player clearly. I highly doubt it’s any vendetta against the guy. He’s just not good enough. Not yet anyway.

Dannybhoy81 likes this.
  10. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Agreed with your assessment in terms of him being on the bench. Previously he has captained Ireland's U21's and was the teams player of the season as a 19 year old 2 seasons ago. The point being as I said previously he was a signing a couple of years ago that held promise and made sense. Unfortunately it has not worked out and most likely he will never make it at Celtic so hopefully after his loan to Tranmere he can find a good permanent deal and move elsewhere which should be doable as by next summer he will be entering the last year of his current deal with Celtic so should be available for a small fee I would think.

11. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    The alarming thing is he's never had a sniff and he's 21. Going for his second stint at Tranmere in the English bottom tier. Had a pish loan in the Scottish championship at Partick..

Even before Ralston emerged out of nowhere, he still wasn't seen as a viable option..

He clearly isn't rated by us..

12. King Kwon Gold Member Gold Member

Starting for the Ireland U21s today, on RTE News Now (TV) or RTE Player (online) for any interested Irish fans.

13. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady, Artur Boruc
    That to join Celtic is very bad for your development?

Or he's just not good enough.

We had a few of these transfer though and I think that it could become a problem and make promissing young players turn us down in the future. I know that for every guy that makes it, a few will disappear. But for my taste we have a bit too few. Especially guys who were playing at an decent enough level like Connell.

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

15. Fear Dearg

Fav Celtic Player:
    Pat Bonnar
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over
    The Thing is Luca wasn't playing at decent enough level,he was playing in a team that was in administration and had sold all of its players

16. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Connell was playing out of desperation for a club in admin that had sold most of their squad and would have played the Janny if Connell pulled a hammy

eire4 likes this.
  17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

18. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Watched the game, thought he dominated elanga the well fancied man u player. Got up and down well all night, was very good.

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

King Kwon likes this.
  19. King Kwon Gold Member Gold Member

Can confirm, ran the show today. Thought he was poor enough in the previous game (but a lot of the players were) but he was outstanding today.

Dublin Celt likes this.
  20. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Difficult to see him getting a look in at Celtic now, given the age profile and contract situation of both JJ and AR.

Dublin Celt likes this.