1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Kieran Tierney

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, Aug 1, 2015.

Discuss Kieran Tierney in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    His delivery at the end for Sinclair was out of this world. Sinclair get's a touch and finishes that.... It's goal of the season..

Played right on after struggling early on. What a boy..

Liam Scales and Marty McFly like this.
  2. jpb

what a ball. Firstly the vision, then the execution (and the belief in his ability to deliver it).
    Quality!

McChiellini.. likes this.
  3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

KT on being back after injury: "It's brilliant. Obviously the last 2-3 months have been hard work, but back and enjoying it."

KT: "Feel brilliant. When you are injured, a lot of time you are probably working harder than the boys are at training, so I feel fit."

KT: "Was always going to get my shoulder done eventually & may as well have done it when I did my ankle, now nothing holding me back."

KT: "It was like making my debut again as I had been out for so long, first injury I'd had since breaking through."

KT on Brendan Rodgers: "He's been brilliant. Kept me involved in all the squads, flying me down to Manchester. A lot to thank him for."

KT on being among the away fans at Ibrox: "Hadn’t been at Ibrox as a fan for a good few years so to be there for a win was brilliant."

KT: "I was in the front row and they were singing my name, and it was just a brilliant day and a brilliant win."

KT on being a fans' favourite: "It's brilliant. I think the fans realise that I just support Celtic like them."

KT: "They saw it at other games, such as Thistle away and Kilmarnock away, when I just turned up to support my team, and it felt good."

KT on how he keeps himself grounded: The people around you help you a lot - I have good family and friends who keep me level-headed."

KT: "What I do outside training, nothing has changed - I play the Playstation and go and watch my local team."

KT: "Every young boy who comes up and trains with the first team are made to feel welcome, especially by Broony."

KT: "He's brilliant, honestly, & the 400 games is some achievement for him, and everyone around the club is grateful for what he does."

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  5. Seosamh Máirtín

Wait, so he was carrying a shoulder injury up until he injured his ankle? :56:Right wingers across Europe just felt a chill go down their spines. What a warrior the kid is.

Zanderama and King of Kings like this.
  6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

He injured his shoulder last season can't remember what game.

7. Captain Brown Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    What a * bhoy!!

Cheers for posting Crow

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

He's a fan living the dream.

9. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    That reminded me of one Beckham did for Van Nistelrooy at Real, an absolute stoater.

10. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

SHA LA LA LA LA LA LA KIERAN TIERRRRRNEYYYYYY

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Odds on him singing his own song in training

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Think he was lined up for the shoulder op at some point, but his injury was a perfect time for both..

He'd had that shoulder problem for ages. Everytime he was shoulder barging, or slide tackling, he'd get up wincing holding it. Was worrying and happened loads of time's..

No doubt in my mind, his injury was a blessing in disguise..

Even mentioning him in that company of deliveries bud..

Best crosser of a ball I've seen probably, Beckham. Those 2 ball's in the sheep and diet game were as close to him as you can get, for me..

Twisty likes this.
  13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

KIERAN Tierney is the embodiment of that famous description by the late, great Tommy Burns – a supporter who got lucky. If the 19-year-old wasn’t pulling on the green and white Hoops and playing for his team, he’d be joining his fellow supporters in the stands and cheering on the Celts.

For proof of that, you only have to look at the period before Christmas when Tierney was out of action through injury.

More often than not, he was at the game with family and friends, backing his team-mates and enjoying the matches as the supporter he is, including the Glasgow derby win at Ibrox on Hogmanay.

It has only served to further strengthen the already strong bond between Tierney and his fellow Celtic fans, while it’s also evidence of the player’s humility and determination to remain grounded.

He is one of the most exciting young talents to have emerged in Scottish football in recent years, and he is living the dream of playing for the team he supports, but he takes nothing for granted.

He works hard every single day and in every single game, always appreciating that he is a supporter who has got lucky, and that won’t ever change.

Speaking ahead of Sunday’s game against St Johnstone at McDiarmid Park, Tierney said: “The people around you help you a lot. I’ve got a good family and good friends and they keep me level-headed and what I do outside of training, nothing’s changed. I play PlayStation and go and watch my local team. There’s nothing different for me.

“I hadn’t been at Ibrox as a fan for a good few years so to be back there, especially with the win on Hogmany, was a brilliant day. I was in the front row and the fans saw me and a few others and it was just a brilliant day. I was sitting in my Celtic tracksuit as I went with the squad so everybody knew. It’s brilliant.

"The fans realise I just support Celtic like them and they’ve seen that in other games like Thistle or Kilmarnock where I’m just turning up normal, just to support my team.

“I’m still watching as a fan but I had to watch out for what Emilio and the other full-backs were doing so I could learn. You may as well use it as a benefit when you’re out and try to learn more about the game.”

And now that he has returned to first-team action since competitive football resumed following the winter break, Tierney is enjoying being on the pitch again and is producing what have become, by now, customary top-class performances in every game.

“The last two or three months have been hard work but now I’m back I’m just enjoying it,” he said. “I feel brilliant. When you’re injured, a lot of the time you’re working harder than the boys that are training because it’s game after game for them, so they are recovering then have another game. I was running every day, working hard in the gym so I feel fit.

“I was always going to get my shoulder done eventually. It needed to be done and I may as well have done it when I did my ankle so it killed two birds with one stone. Now I’m back feeling fit and there’s nothing holding me back.

“It’s not ideal being out but you need to stay positive all the time through injuries. Mental strength is one thing through an injury so you need to have a lot of that.

“And the manager has been brilliant. He kept me involved with all the squads. But I just take it a game and a day at a time and take it as it comes.”

16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Tierney, at 19, is the younger of the two by a year. The full-back, a Celtic fan since childhood, is someone Davies and manager Brendan Rodgers were aware of even before they arrived at Celtic Park in the summer, but the consistency of his performances have even surpassed the advanced scouting reports prepared for them by first-team coach John Kennedy.

Not even an injury setback has halted Tierney’s progress, the player returning to the side following the winter break and putting in the sort of flawless displays that have been a regular occurrence since he first established himself in the first team around 18 months ago.

Should Tierney continue on this upwards trajectory it will not be long before major English and European clubs are testing Celtic’s resolve with eight-figure offers but Davies hopes – and believes – the player will be in no rush to leave, and not just because he is a fan.

“That might help but there’s also a recognition that this is the best place for him,” said Davies. “The manager has made that clear to him and as far as I’m aware we all agree on that.

“He’s best served staying, playing and developing. What the manager can offer players is the opportunity to develop them into world-class players because he’s proved that with others. It’s a great place to stay and develop and if he ever feels like it’s the best thing to do then he may choose to leave but that’s certainly not in my mind.

“He’s an excellent player and he’s done really well for us this season. It was unfortunate when he picked up his injury but he’s a player I rate really highly.

“The starting point for him is his passion, energy and drive. He’s obviously a massive Celtic fan and it’s great to have one of them in the team. That energy, desire and will to win is a good starting point for any player.

“Add on to that he’s making good, mature decisions on the ball. He’s deciding when to run, underlap, overlap and what type of cross to play. He has a good left foot, can shoot, can cross and can drill a ball.

“Wingers don’t like playing against him because he can tackle strongly but fairly, and is the type who will hurt you when he tackles and wingers can see that. He’s got this great synergy of old and new school and that’s what makes him stand out. In the next few years he can develop and the manager’s plan is for him to stay and develop into a world-class talent.”

Davies also revealed that Tierney has never been fazed at being one of the younger members of a dressing room replete with internationalists.

“When John Kennedy spoke to us, as soon as me and Brendan came in, he spoke so highly of Kieran. We’d made sure we had a good idea of all the players we’d be working with.

“John made it clear KT was straight in holding his own within the first team squad as soon as he moved from the youth team. He also had the confidence to express himself on the pitch, and around the place he’s polite and well mannered.

“He’s got a good personality, too. Kendo had given us the heads up early doors that he was young but also not afraid to make sure he was a part of it all. Kieran’s inspiring. He creates energy for others because of the enthusiasm he’s got. It can rub off on other players.”

17. kswilly

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras / Brown / Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Roll of Honour / Grace / YNWA / Fields of Athenry / Soldiers Song
    Honestly... probably the best player at the club... already a cult hero!

18. Captain Brown Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    A cult hero? That suggests he's only loved by a small minority... I think he's a fans favourite and so he should be. Wee man's class and a credit to this generation of players who don't understand loyalty.

19. kswilly

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras / Brown / Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Roll of Honour / Grace / YNWA / Fields of Athenry / Soldiers Song
    I think you and I have a different definition of cult hero... though I agree he emulates what it means to play for Celtic...He's a fan who became lucky enough to wear the hoops and he's wearing it with pride and passion!

20. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

I think you and I have a different definition of definition, if that's the case. :giggle1:

OverandOver and Captain Brown like this.