1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Karamoko Dembele!!

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by DEADEYECFC, May 29, 2016.

Discuss Karamoko Dembele!! in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    See talk about Man City wanting him.

2. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

City can get tae *, they are like Chelsea now just buying up all the young talent so no other teams can get them, ruining a lot of promising careers.

trip2themoon and Callum McGregor like this.
  3. wanyama1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/Victor Wanyama
    They can get him if they want, once Karamoko turns 21 they can get first refusal if they give us Paddy Roberts just now for a decent fee.

4. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Watching the Brendan and Moussa press conferences there and the media have a * cheek.

They criticised us for thrusting Karamoko into the limelight with him filling in for youths away with the national team, yet they are still asking questions about him nearly a fortnight later.

I * loathe journalism in Scotland, I honestly don't know why the club don't tell them to * off!

5. Andy Thom

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andy Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    When it goes like a bomb and it's not Andy Thom it's DiCanio
    We'll do well to keep a hold of him. Can imagine a few teams will try and test our resolve in January.

6. This Charming Man

It'll kill me to see what he's worth in a few years if we do let him go this early.

7. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I don't think Gyp can wait that long.

8. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

You do realise we're talking about a 13 year old kid here and not his 20 year old French namesake?

freederry20 likes this.
  9. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Rodgers doesn't seem too happy about Dembele getting on for the development side.

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Brendan Rodgers appeared to express his regret yesterday at the decision taken by the Celtic youth department last week to play 13-year-old Karamoko Dembele in an under-20s match.

Dembele received the full glare of publicity, on social media and in the mainstream press, when he came on as a substitute for the Celtic development team with nine minutes to go against their Hearts counterparts. There was criticism of Celtic from various quarters for having chosen to play such a young player in the match.

Rodgers admitted yesterday that he hadn’t known Dembele was going to feature in the game.

“He is a child, he’s a baby,” said the Celtic manager. “I didn’t know he was playing, and you have to be very careful. He’s not a 13-year-old in the body of a 19-year-old. He doesn’t have those maturation levels. He really looks 13.

“He’s a talented boy at 13 and has had a lot of attention. But Karamoko just needs to be left alone to develop. Then, hopefully, he can go and make the steps we want him to. Would I have sanctioned it? That’s not the point. The point is, he has played. Will I take a more hands-on role? Yes.”

Rodgers said he had been alerted to the talent of Dembele when he arrived at Celtic as manager, and has done work with the kid himself. But the Celtic manager expressed wariness over the road ahead for the 13-year-old.

“He [Dembele] is obviously a talent but he’s young and there is so much development still needed for him to go on and become a player. I’m a father and, as good as they are, I worry from a parent’s perspective. He is a big talent but we have to nurture him and ensure he is challenged — at the right times.

“It’s not good for the kid. Ultimately, you want him to play for Scotland, you want him to play for Celtic, and he needs to be left alone, otherwise he becomes a statistic.

“I could go through a million kids who I’ve helped develop. You have to be calm with them, you have to respect their talent. There is also a huge psychological side of it, especially in the modern world with social media.

“If you are a big talent, whatever field you are in, people want to bring you down. So that’s for us to try and manage the best way we can.”

While seeming to be critical of the decision to play Dembele last week, Rodgers sought to absolve Chris McCart and Tommy McIntyre, who head up Celtic’s youth development structure.

“I oversee the football, and I trust the guys here, who do great work,” he added. “Chris, Tommy and Jim McGuiness are doing a very good job.

“I’m sure they probably never realised the scope of media attention it [Dembele’s substitute appearance] would get. He’s a talented boy, a great kid, but it’s not always the gold medallists who make it.”

Moussa Dembélé — no relation — spoke about the teenager’s training session with the senior players. “We didn’t want to kick him because he is still so small,” he said. “He is a good talent but we have to wait and see how he will improve.”

freederry20 likes this.
  11. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

He plays against Barca's U13 'wonderkid' (Xavi Simons) in the highlights vs Barca on YouTube, brilliant seeing young boys that age with the technique a pro of 20 years would be proud of.

Must be a class feeling for coaches to play a part developing talent like that, if they both progressed and became great players, would be a good thing to look back on for the Celtic/Barca coaches.

12. Andy Thom

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andy Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    When it goes like a bomb and it's not Andy Thom it's DiCanio
    No. Excuse my mistake.

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member