1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Jozo Simunovic

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Officer Doofy, Aug 15, 2015.

Discuss Jozo Simunovic in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Still better than Duffy.

2. Venomspawn82

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Shouldn't have been let go.

3. Big C

Why? We are not a charity, we have enough players being paid and not playing without adding to it. I hope he gets a club but it’s not looking likely.

trackebhoy likes this.
  4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

5. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Great guy, feel sorry for the big man

6. freitassen

It is not even that, he probably would be still useful in the squad. I mean we threw Stephen Welsh against the huns.

neilly1987 and The_Bhoy like this.
  7. Big C

I think it was the correct decision to empty him, we were not to know of what was to come.

8. cat123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry
    Definitely a mistake letting him go this season. He should have been kept on for another year. He was always reliable when fit.

9. honda Gold Member Gold Member

When was he fit? :56:

martin_d likes this.
  10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

FREED Celtic defender Jozo Simunovic could resurrect his career in Turkey following months in the football wilderness after entering into talks with Goztepe.

The 26-year-old hasn't kicked a ball since February when Celtic were defeated 3-1 at home by FC Copenhagen in the Europa League.

He was surprisingly released by Hoops boss Neil Lennon at the end of the season and has been without a club since.

Simunovic has seen two moves collapse due to concern about his long-term fitness when Turkish side Trabzonspor and then Croatian club Rijeka both pulled out after medical check-ups

Simunovic had a knee operation last year at Celtic and also suffered knee ligament damage four years ago when he missed a huge chunk of the season.

However, he now looks set to end his exile if talks with another Turkish side, Goztepe - who are currently sixth in the Turkish Super League - reach a positive conclusion.

The stopper helped the Hoops to five titles in a row during the time he spent at the club, following his move from Dinamo Zagreb and Simunovic also picked up three Scottish Cups and three League Cups during his time in Glasgow.

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

12. CountyDownFaithful

At a push, I'd take him back on a 6 month deal until the end of the season.

Better than some of what we have when he's fit!

Rydo1888* and Wee Baldy like this.
  13. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

People are forgetting the Copenhagen game if they want Jozo back, not mention the plenty other games he * it for us in.

Bobo_, freitassen, Slaw and 2 others like this.
  14. Smithy

Agreed. Hate when people post stuff like this. There was even a couple of mad * on here wanting Jack Hendry back ffs!

15. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Imagine Hendry and Duffy at the back, nightmare fuel.

Smithy likes this.
  16. CelticPhillySupporter

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nir Bitton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail The Celts Are Here
    I’m surprised another club in Scotland or a championship club hasn’t picked him up.

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Like his former club, Jozo Simunovic is looking to get back on track. The Croatian defender’s season has not got going since leaving Celtic in the summer at frustratingly short notice.

Simunovic, 26, is without a club after being told his contract would not be renewed. The centre-back has been training in his hometown Zagreb after being surprisingly released by Neil Lennon, leaving the defender out of work.

“In the beginning it was strange,” said Simunovic, who helped the Glasgow club beat Hearts to win the Scottish Cup final last year.

It was settled that Celtic were going to extend the contract with me and just a few days before they needed to let me know that they were going to extend the deal, I got the phone call and a letter saying that they are very sorry but due to the situation with Covid they were stopping it.”

Numerous clubs have approached the robust defender but been unable to tie up a deal. The likes of Liverpool and AC Milan were linked to Simunovic in recent weeks but that is merely paper talk. Turkish side Goztepe are the latest club rumoured to be signing Simunovic but there is no foundation to it.

“There have been some talks with two or three clubs but never to the end. Everything was OK and then we wait and wait but nothing happened at the point when we needed to do something and get to the final point. That was just with two or three clubs and there is a lot of talk about other clubs but I do not know who throws the names out there and where they get your details.”

One club who showed a serious interest in Simunovic was Rijeka in his homeland, but the defender decided the move was not for him. The deal did not come close to a conclusion but still resulted in some confusing headlines that he failed a medical due to a knee problem. Simunovic required surgery to clean out his knee while at Parkhead, an injury which has led to questions about his long-term fitness.

“That is nothing new, as all the time with me there was that cross with the injuries and everything. I understand some clubs that could not get me to sign that they put out this but it was not true and I expect in the future that if I have talks with a club and we do not do a deal to the end then they can blame the injury because in all my years at Celtic, that was my biggest cross. Every time if I was not in the team or on the bench, I knew they would blame my knee. I now have to live with that and for me it is no problem.”

Simunovic is fully fit and his knee has not relapsed, leaving him more frustrated by the long wait to find a new home after five years in Glasgow. During his time with the Hoops, he won five league titles and was involved in some memorable moments. His cult status was confirmed by his challenge on Kenny Miller in an Old Firm derby - sometime that still makes him smile when it is brought up - and scoring a poignant 67th minute winner in the first match following Billy McNeill’s death, while wearing No.5 on his back.

I had amazing memories there because I won everything that is possible. I have many more good memories than bad with Celtic. I cannot moan now about my contract finishing and not being extending there, I need to focus on better things, on the great things I did with the club when I was there with my teammates. The tackle is one of them for sure but also many trophies, many finals, many derbies and the testimonials, playing in honour of club legends.”

Those five league titles seem a long way off for this current crop of players, who sit 13 points behind Rangers in the league. Watching from afar has left Simunovic bewildered by the poor domestic and European performance from a team he knows extremely well.

“It is very, very strange as this is not the Celtic it used to be when I was there. They changed many things in the summer and, unfortunately, in the end it has not proven to be good. There are still many players who have been there for several years and I believe they have the quality and the mentality to turn it around. They are experienced players, they know what it is to be a Celtic player and how to be a great team again.”

Simunovic does not want to look at what he left behind, instead he is focusing on his next move after a frustrating time without a club. His aim is to join a club in one of Europe’s top five leagues. “I just want to be back playing as soon as possible, doing what I love most. I am 100% fit and I am just waiting for the perfect opportunity for me to get back into football at the best level possible.”

After six months of building up tension away from the pitch, especially with a few doubters to prove wrong, strikers, as Kenny Miller will testify, should beware of a coiled Simunovic ready to come back out of his box.

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

19. James Gold Member Gold Member

And there it is he was never replaced we already needed a centre back before he was released and only signed Duffy as result we went in to today with a lanky streak of * at centre back due to one Injury

20. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Genuinely can’t believe we pulled our contract to him to then replace him with Shane Duffy.