1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Jonny Hayes

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, Jun 14, 2017.

Discuss Jonny Hayes in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    think hayes might surprise some and score a couple cracker sin Europe.remember was pretty underwhelmed about barry robson then he goes on to score a screamer against barca in his first european game.

2. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Well unless Forrest is leaving it certainly looks like this is the replacement.

3. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    this signing is back up for Sinclair.

4. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

OK mate, I'll play along with that.

5. McManus4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I like that he'll remove the need to have Izzy on the bench/stop McGregor playing left back.

6. Sno'sLeftFoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    At least Ronny could get Roberts in the door.

:fear:

7. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    If he does well the doubters will have to say,

Johnny.................we're sorry.........:84:

Random Review likes this.
  8. joemc

We're worried !

Random Review and The Prof like this.
  9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

JONNY HAYES will become Brendan Rodgers’ first summer signing for Celtic.

Aberdeen last night accepted a £1.3million bid from the Hoops for the Republic of Ireland winger.

Hayes, 29 will have a medical in the next 24 hours before sealing his switch to Parkhead.

And SunSport understands that he’ll be offered a three-year contract with a one-year option.

The swoop will see Ryan Christie move to Pittodrie on a season-long loan.

Hayes was wanted by Cardiff in January and during the transfer window.

But Hoops boss Rodgers identified the attacking midfielder as one of his early signing targets.

He worked with Hayes as a youngster when he was coming through the ranks at Reading.

Ironically Rodgers told Hayes NOT to sign for Celtic when he had the chance as a teenager.

They formed a close relationship with Rodgers heaping praise on Hayes last season.

Hayes’ move to Celtic comes eight years after he first arrived in Scottish football.

Inverness signed him from Leicester in 2009 and he had three successful seasons.

Hayes then moved to Aberdeen in 2012 and became a huge favourite.

His last game for the club was against Celtic in May’s Scottish Cup Final when he scored to give Aberdeen the lead.

He still had two years left on his Dons contract but made it clear he wouldn’t sign a new deal.

The talks came with manager Derek McInnes on his way to Sunderland.

Hayes has been on holiday after being part of the Ireland squad for last week’s World Cup qualifier with Austria in Dublin.

But he’s expected to fly into Scotland today to undergo his medical.

Celts are expected to parade Hayes at Parkhead before he starts pre-season training.

10. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    Could be a case of take rogic off after 70 mins, move Sinclair into the 10 role and bring Hayes on at left wing. While Roberts is on the right and Bojan is resting up for the last 16.

11. doctor venglos

Please stop this Bojan pish. :thumbsdow

12. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I think the fact that this is so early tells us Brendan actually wants this guy. This is not a "Pukki' signing by Lawwell of someone more affordable way down his list after failing to sign his top targets.

In Brendan we trust.

13. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    It will be 6 cups we would be going for :84:

Scottish Premiership
    Scottish League Cup
    Scottish Cup
    Champions League

Win CL and we would be going for

FIFA Club World Cup
    UEFA Super Cup

bobbybhoy92 likes this.
  14. TIART Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wee Callum
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I've been reading about Hayes SPL top assist stats across online rags and folk on the likes of Facebook.

People are using the stats in debate; comparing Forrest, Roberts and Hayes but we should remember Hayes played 1200 minutes more than Roberts, the equivelant of about 13 games.

But let's look at the stats again;

Hayes
    GOAL every 3.86 games.
    ASSIST every 1.76 games.

Roberts
    GOAL every 2.71 games
    ASSIST every 1.57 games.

Forrest
    GOAL every 4.05 games.
    ASSIST every 2.49 games.

15. richie87 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonny Doyle
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I think this is his utility player signing, he can fill the gap left or right wing when needed I am happy he's arrived but would be disappointed if he is here instead of Roberts.

As for timing I think this was the easier negotiation of the players coming in so was done to get it out the way.

DoTheBroony likes this.
  16. donnegal celt

What happening if Forrest and Sinclair get a bad injury. Would prefer Hayes filling in than gms.
    It's going be long season and anything can happen to Sinclair or Forrest.

17. Captain Brown Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Good stats. Especially when it's for Aberdeen. Can only assume he'll improve at Celtic.

18. kramer1 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Sammy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Brendan seems to have been keeping an eye on him for some time now. Every time we've played Aberdeen this season, Brendan's had a private word with him after the match. If anyone can make Hayes a better, more polished player, Brendan can. Hayes seems to have a lot of energy and pace. Hopefully he'll be a good buy for us.

19. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

“I am sure Brendan will probably give Hayes an extended run of games in the side and the opportunity to prove himself" - Joe Miller

At who's expense is this going to happen (injuries aside)?

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Former Cherry Orchard coach Liam Keogh believes Aberdeen winger Jonny Hayes will thrive on the extra pressure at Celtic

JONNY HAYES will be under pressure to deliver for Celtic.

But former Cherry Orchard coach Liam Keogh insists that will bring out the best in his star pupil.

Keogh knew Hayes was destined for the top after almost singlehandedly winning the 2003 Under-15 Irish Cup for the famous Dublin club — days before joining Reading.

And he believes the 29-year-old Republic of Ireland star will thrive on the extra pressure at Celtic.

He told SunSport: “When Jonny first signed for Cherry Orchard, he was a left back and a very talented one at that.

“He was always quick and good on the ball and loved getting up and down the wing. But everything changed when he was moved into attack.

“I think he’d been playing there for his school and in one game we decided to give him a chance.

“Jonny scored four or five and never stopped after that.

“He could play wide or through the middle and the other teams couldn’t handle him.

“By the time he was 15, clubs from everywhere started looking at him and we knew he was going in the summer of 2003.

“But we still had two big games to play in the Irish Cup — and Jonny rose to the occasion.

“It made him play even better.

“We played Lourdes Celtic in the semi-final and he scored twice.

“Then we were up against Home Farm, our big rivals, in the final and he scored a hat-trick in a 3-1 win.

“Jonny then signed for Reading a few days later. Five goals in two games — what a way to bow out of the club!”

Celtic boss Rodgers revealed how he talked Hayes OUT of joining the Hoops and lured him to Reading in 2003.

But the Cherry Orchard man is glad the winger has finally ended up in Glasgow — 14 years later.

He said: “There were so many clubs after Jonny at that time and he could have taken his pick.

“Celtic were keen and so were a lot of English teams — but Reading really pushed the boat out.

“They made it clear how much they wanted him and I think that really swung it for him.

“I’d imagine Brendan would have been persuasive and I know he had high hopes for Jonny at Reading.

“It never really worked out and he had to move on to Leicester City and then up to Scotland.

“For me, that was the making of him. Inverness gave him a chance to play games and the move to Aberdeen was perfect.”

Hayes comes from Ballyfermot, where Cherry Orchard are based, just a few miles outside Dublin city centre.

He’s never forgotten his roots. Keogh revealed he even took time to see him when on Ireland duty last year.

He said: “I was in the crowd at the Aviva and Jonny was out warming up. He wasn’t too far away from us.

“I shouted his name and he came over for a quick chat. He’s still the grounded boy he was all those years ago.

“Jonny was a really good young player. It was a pleasure to coach him and it was a proud moment seeing him in that Ireland kit.

“For all our young players that is the dream — to go and represent your country in a senior international match.

“Jonny is now a regular in the squad and is starting games under Martin O’Neill now.

“That is great to see and I’m sure he will play an even bigger role now he’s at Celtic.

“He’ll hopefully get the chance to play Champions League games. That can only help his international chances.

“I’ve followed his career all the way and I think Jonny is now playing his best stuff.

“Aberdeen was a great move for him after Inverness but I think Brendan will take him to the next level at Celtic.”

Liam’s son Karl is now the director of football at Cherry Orchard and continues to nurture the next generation of Dublin kids.

And he insists Hayes’ rise to stardom for club and country is an inspiration to the dozens of kids starting out at the boys’ club.

He said: “When your former players reach the heights Jonny has, it makes all the hard work worthwhile.

“He played and scored in the Scottish Cup Final for Aberdeen, then started for Ireland against Uruguay at the Aviva and now he’s signing for Celtic.

“It’s been a dream couple of weeks for Jonny and everyone associated with the club is so proud of him.

“I say to the younger boys ‘Look at Jonny — that’s what you can do in football if you work hard and keep believing’.

“Jonny had to deal with a couple of disappointments in England but he’s really rebuilt his career in Scotland.

“I watched him a lot for Aberdeen and he always seemed to do really well in the big games, especially against Celtic.

“He’s scored some great goals and was outstanding in the Scottish Cup Final. He was everywhere on the pitch.

“Brendan has known all about Jonny for a long time and I’m sure that performance didn’t come as a surprise to him.

“Hopefully we will catch up with him soon at the club and I know I speak for everyone at Cherry Orchard when I wish him all the best with the move.”

Saul Goodman and kramer1 like this.