1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Link] John McGinn

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Officer Doofy, May 5, 2017.

Discuss John McGinn in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

What about McGregor and Rogic?
    Why wouldn't we just use kouassi to rest Brown since Brendan himself says that's the role he's being groomed for and we already paid supposedly over 3m for him.
    He's a good player but we don't really need him, would rather we replaced Paddy, secured Eddy and strengthened the defence while moving some players on, all more pressing than another midfielder who won't necessarily be a starter or improve us.

Crilly likes this.
  2. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

There is a need for him and would play his part if we were to lose Armstrong...

Unirea Gus and apevrak like this.
  3. Celticbhoy17

Would rather keep Armstrong tbh and develop Koussi - mcginn was good against us but think hes been pretty inconsisitent for Hibs ive heardand was shocking in the recent scotland games

The IRA, TheHappyLoss and neilly1987 like this.
  4. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

As another body for CM, fair enough, but they're totally different players for me. Both powerful runners with good engines but he is never gonna get you double figures in goals and assists, the same way Armstrong isn't gonna smash someone to win back possession and start an attack.

callumrae1967 likes this.
  5. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them

6. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Totally different players and when everyone is fully flying neither start for us, so in that respect similar.
    McGinn wouldn't see us as stepping stone I don't think..Armstrong has probably more to his game.

We could have done with McGinns strength a few times last season.

Gabriel and neilly1987 like this.
  7. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Did we pay that much for Kouassi? Im not opposed to that idea, but there hasnt been anything to suggest he will impose himself as a mainstay in the side.

Missing the point a bit but since you asked.. Rogic plays in an advanced role and mcgregor can play in a variety of positions? If we played a 3-5-2, 4-5-1 or a 4-3-3 they can all still play?

The point being Mcginn would add depth and consolidate the quality we already have.

For what its worth id rather we signed a quality center back and a right back as a priority. But i still want Mcginn as i think he has something to offer us and will prove to be a wise investment in the long term.

neilly1987 likes this.
  8. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Same. Browns positional sense, passing and dicipline have all improved under BR. I think BR has done him wonders and its just a shame BR didnt happen earlier in Browns career. But enjoying it while it lasts

Artorias likes this.
  9. oldpat

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Personally don’t think central midfield is an area we need to strengthen...yet..Centre back and right back should be the priority.I would have said another GK too but with Bain signing I can’t see that happening

10. jamesfr

We don't need to strengthen but I see him as a long term prospect and great cover for pre and post Champions league nights.

11. oldpat

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I Would rather us spend decent money on a quality RB and CH

Artorias likes this.
  12. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I agree about the priorities, however.. Armstrong is off and we still don’t know if Kouassi is up to scratch.. we could do with him.

ladbroke8 likes this.
  13. oldpat

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Kouassi not had much of a chance tbf

14. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

That’s true, but we have no way of knowing if he could step in and do and Job if say, Brown was out for a prolonged period.. too much of risk..

G_portillo likes this.
  15. northeast67

Kouassi should go out on loan this season or I think the same will happen again, every developing player needs game time, must be a nightmare waiting for someone to get injured.

16. Vinnie BBQ Justice is lost Justice is raped Justice is gone.

Let's get in as many midfielders as we can. It reminds me of me playing Football Manager. I always end up with 15 midfielders

17. TheHappyLoss

Don't want him but if we sign him he has my full support. Sure that will be a weight off his mind :)

18. Mike B MikeyBhoyy

Im in two minds over McGinn.

On one hand i think he is a player With a great attitude and would be a great squad player for us in the league as we do play a * load of games over the course of a season. Also if BR is here for a few years more he would reap the benefits of that.

On the other hand, i really want us to kick on and increase the gap between us and everyone else in Scotland and try and make a dent in Europe (Not much to ask for i know). I dont know if you are gonna do that by signing players like McGinn. Maybe more the likes of Ntcham and eddie?

If Armstrong is to go then i would say bring him in as his raplacement and let him fight it out for a spot in the team!

19. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I can understand your stance here. What should be taken into account is McGinns progress season after season now. I dont think he is a better player than Ntcham technically, but he did outperform him in some stats last season and did get the better of him in midfield on two occaisions last season (albeit ntcham twice had to leave the field with injury)

I think some underestimate the player he could be for us. Petrov, for instance, didnt have the greatest of starts with us and developed into a player capable of performing on the european stage.
    It could be argued that Edouard isnt yet proven at the CL level yet.. maybe we should be pushing the boat out for a proven striker who is. Whilst i think he has evident potential, he has yet to really do it against a top side.

20. celtic warrior

Stats can used to prove or disprove anything depending on the context of how they are delivered.

But if I had a choice between ntcham and mcginn it's ntcham all day long, yeah on paper I assume he didn't assist or score as many but he has the ability to control games and that same ability works perfectly with Brown. I don't think McGinn offers that.

My view on McGinn is as confusing as it is clear, I'd be happy if he signed but he's not an improvement on what he got so he's not really needed.

And as I've said before. He strikes me as a decent pro and while he's a Celtic lad he doesn't seem like someone who'd be interested in sitting on the bench for the first year of his career year after all the effort he's put in to progress to the level he's reached since being at hibs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.