1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Link] John McGinn

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Officer Doofy, May 5, 2017.

Discuss John McGinn in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctor venglos

McGregor had laboured for a very long time to make any sort of impression at Celtic, it is only under Brendan's tuition that he has finally come to the fore, and all credit to him. But to say McGregor is miles better than McGinn and Henderson is off the Richter scale. McGinn in an able enforcer and has proved that with Hibs in the SPL and Championship, and even WGS has now reconised these fighting qualities by calling him up for the Scotland squad. McGinn has also bite, tenacity and aggression, and outside of Broony, I don't see anybody else filling that role in our team currently.We would be in stook without Broony in that midfield, and we have been when he has been suspended or injured.

Henderson has shown great promise and application with both us and Hibs when he has been given the chance to shine, and he is certainly not miles behind McGregor in my estimation either.

I wouldn't like to see McGinn slip through our fingers the way McCarthy and Robertson did.

paulmcq1888 likes this.
  2. CodyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Ninetoes Finder
    I disagree. Happy to be proved wrong if Rodgers decides to sign him. But I don't think he's the right player to take us to the next level.

3. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Don't know why people are comparing McGregor and McGinn two completely different types of player.

As for Henderson he's been tried in a few positions but not much by Brendan so I'm unclear what his best position actually is..

jocksteinupper likes this.
  4. doctor venglos

I don't think McGinn is being signed to take us to the next level, he is being signed primarily to be Brown's understudy.
    To take us to another level we will need someone of the ilk of McCarthy or McArthur.

5. CodyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Ninetoes Finder
    McArthur? You at the wind up? He doesn't even regularly start for Scotland. McArthy as well isn't worth half of what Everton would want.

rickyroma25 and freederry20 like this.
  6. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Surely the pertinent point here is that Mcginn, from the little i've seen admittedly, has more dig than Mcgregor and Henderson put together! Different types of player so can't compare!! Wee Mcgregor has come on a stormer this year and if i had to pick 2 out of 3 to have i would pick him and Mcginn as so far from what i've seen Henderson flatters to deceive!! Think Mcginn would be a good addition to the squad!!

7. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Out of all of our midfielders I'd say that McGinn can only be compared to Brown.

I rate Henderson though. Think he's a centre mid with a great eye for a pass. I think one more loan and judge his future next summer.

8. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    I agree and i would see him as an eventual replacement in there.....only 22 and Brendan could develop him and use him this season if we go on decent Euro run and Broony needs a rest. Each to their own with Henderson though.....he does seem to divide opinion. Quite liked the boy at first but imo he's not really kicked on.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  9. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Would prefer to see how he did in his first season back in the SPFL. We went in too early for Christie and have ended up sending him out on loan for the last 2 and a half years, on this occasion though he could end up down in England and if he does well then we've missed boat. From the admittedly little times I've seen him he has looked decent.

10. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    I would take McGinn. I would've taken him before he left St Mirren as well.

I think he's a very good player and is an ideal addition to the midfield, as has been said similar to Brown. 22 year-old, played close to 100 games for St Mirren in the top division at a young age. Looks very accomplished on the ball, technically very good and fits our pressing style with his boundless energy. Appears to be a good professional and aside from that big nugget Thompson spearing him with a training pole, he appears very little in the papers.

I don't see much downside to signing him. For me he would bring more to the side than Henderson and more ready to play than Eboue.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  11. CelticKurd

Fav Celtic Player:
    Georgios Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony and Willie Maley
    If he is the player that we want to sign before qualifiers I will feel a bit underwhelmed.

kevza likes this.
  12. horseshoe

I know what you mean, I'd hope for news of something bigger, but not on the scale of some panic merchants on here, underwhelmed, but not AHHH DOWNSIZING SACK THE BOARD * that seems to be seeping in already with some nutters.

Realistically I don't expect any sort of big money marquee signing until we've actually qualified, or at least got to the playoff round, if we're not in europe there's not much else to attract a lot of players to come here.

13. McManus4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    This. Both miles over rated.

Not the only ones down there but an excellent example of what £20 million actually gets you down there.

14. CelticKurd

Fav Celtic Player:
    Georgios Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:

Exactly, we will get stronger the further we progress in the qualifying rounds. But I think there are many players who would come here even before qualification see for example Dembele or Kolo last year. We are waiting this year though with signings to assure we get absolute quality IMO.

15. M.E.T.H.O.D MAN Straight from the slums of Shaolin

Would be gutted if we signed him and didn't play him, The whole situation with Allan was stupid and we have about 50 midfielders already.

16. jamiebhoy67

Mcginn would be a good signing and after a few years a great signing

17. honda Gold Member Gold Member

If mcginns our big signing I'll be so * off only another undefeated season would let me recover.

18. freitassen

What I don't understand is some people that equal criticism to some millionaires who barely know who Jock Stein is with hating Celtic and being a "nutter"
    I also don't understand how some people think it's a retarded opinion that the board, to say the least, lacked ambition in all of the recent transfer windows, bar the last summer one where Brendan Rodgers was hired, and a reproduction of this pattern is more likely than not at this point.
    In fact, looking back, we qualified against an obscure kazakh team due to a last minute penalty, we were one penalty save away from managing to have a 3 goal difference overturned by an israeli side, and with this squad, even though we are favourites, Champions League football is FAR from a certainty. Bar some completely unexpected activity our squad at the european qualifiers will be worse than the one that finished the treble season, and while the results were good, the club is posting profits nearing 10 million and had its income increasingly vastly last season, yet they are not even trying to improve the squad and sign guys that will be first team regulars.

I like Celtic because of the players, the supporters, the history. Peter Lawwell and Desmond can * off.

Regarding McGinn, his signing would make a lot more sense than Hayes, because he is young, and even though he is another midfielder, he is a guy with a defensive emphasis. Thing is we already have a young anchor man in Kouassi and by now we would struggle to find a place in the squad for McGinn that would help his development.

19. CelticKurd

Fav Celtic Player:
    Georgios Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Buy and loan him back for one season.

20. mickcfc91

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Scott Brown .. All Time - Lubo n henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wiley Maley
    Hayes, McGinn and Douglas. Champ league here we come.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.