1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

James McCarthy

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Gioventu, Aug 3, 2021.

Discuss James McCarthy in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Charlielarsson

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    When he signed most fans said at time it was crazy to give a 4 year deal but someone at parkhead did which is scary when it's obvious the guy is done at elite level.

2. G40B

Just be thankful it appears to have been a one off signing.

Back under Rodgers latter years and the Lennon years, idiotic board signings like this were the norm.

Now the chief idiot appears to be back, I pray we don’t return to those days.

neilly1987, Lewis Kerr and Skelleto like this.
  3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He brokered the Kyogo deal weeks before, I don’t think it’s anything like that.

It’s literally been that McCarthy was being offered more money or better terms elsewhere and the only way we could compete was to offer extended time on his deal with an element of pay as you play.

As a side note - this calling it shambolic and disgraceful are miles wide of the mark. Some signings just don’t work out for a plethora of reasons and he is one. Simple as that, he’s been lost in the shuffle.

Damnati, Hammy89 and ArturBorucCSC like this.
  4. EddieBhoy1986

If a player who doesn't fit the managers system is being offered more money elsewhere the sensible buisness thing to do would be to wish him all the best for the future and bank his would be wages to use on a more appropriate signing. Not chuck more money and years at him. Shambolic seems a fair description to me.

5. celtic warrior

Waste of money signing that was just completely unnecessary.

1 year deal fine...bring him in, help with quality in depth whilst Ange settles in and has to rebuild an entire new squad from the wreck Lawwell Snr and Lennon left.

4 year deal is just ridiculous business and complete waste of a wage when it could have been used more effectively.

His deal along with struggles of binning Ajeti and Jullien has to be cost the club close to £4million a year in lost wages for players who will likely never play more than 10 full 90s between them combined

King of Kings likes this.
  6. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Does Joe Hart really fit his style of play?

His reasoning behind both signings would have been to add professionalism and experience to the squad and both did. It just so happens that we’re over ran with quality midfielders and despite him getting cameos he’s had no scope for an extended run. It’s not a disgrace or shambolic it just hasn’t worked out.

Westlondonscot, Damnati, Slaw and 3 others like this.
  7. Cringer67

A criminal waste of resources. We all said it at the time too, so its not like Harry Hindsight at work here.

8. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    It was almost impressive how them * could sign more or less 10/10 useless duds. Not even by accident sign someone decent.

G40B likes this.
  9. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

It’s not simply a case of “well it hasn’t worked out but that’s football”. It was a crazy deal straight from the off.

A 4 year deal for an over the hill, utterly immobile midfielder who doesn’t remotely suit the style of football Ange plays. The only upside is he brings experience and appears to be a good lad - but you don’t give someone a 4 year deal for that stuff.

10. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

11. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

A 6 year old post:56:

That's not the "gotcha" you seem to think it is.

Noskeil likes this.
  12. EddieBhoy1986

That wasn't really my point though was it? I said if a player has bigger offers elsewhere and they aren't really suited to how we want to play, pass on them rather than upping our own offer. Joe Hart to the best of my knowledge didn't have lots of other clubs chasing him.

13. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

And tbf, I don't think I was against signing him at the start of last season - albeit not for 4 years. I hadn't seen him in a while and hadn't realised just how much he's regressed.

But that's a failure of the scouting department.

14. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I think most, if not every, Celtic fan would have took McCarthy 6 years ago, he was still starting for Everton and hadn't totally lost his pace. A younger McCarthy would be perfect for this team imo.

Since then, he's had numerous injuries, lost any shred of pace he once had, and doesn't seem to offer much, if anything, when he comes on.

I understand why we were interested at the start of the year, it was a no brainer to offer him a deal, but to offer him a 4 year deal was utter madness. 2 years or even 1 year + the option for another would have made much more sense.

15. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

I don't even think you can blame the scouting department as it was clearly a Dermot Desmond signing.

JamesM09 and Saul Goodman like this.
  16. Mr. Slippyfist

A James McCarthy appearance “turned” your stomach?

Generally I love your rants, but that just makes you sound like a complete and utter weirdo…

PaulM1888 and King Kwon like this.
  17. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Aye.

I wanted him for years but his injuries have * him. He used to be a box to box player with a bit of pace and could even pop up with a goal or two.

He's the definition of 'shadow of a player'. But dont wish him any ill. Really wanted it to work out for him here.

18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

You’ve missed the point again, in layman’s terms there’s more to it than simply style of play when building a squad. Is the crux of my point.

19. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

It’s not a 6 year old post but regardless, the point is you thought he was out of reach 5 years ago and he may very well have been but he wasn’t when we signed him and it’s simply not worked out.

It’s nowhere near as massive a deal as you are attempting to make out with every post about the guy constantly pounding him.

20. Mr. Slippyfist

Yeah, some very deviant comments going on here, and have been for some time personally against McCarthy.