1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

James Forrest

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Drakhan, Jul 25, 2015.

Discuss James Forrest in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Paradise_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    he signed a 3 year extension last year or the summer I’m sure

2. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    Sounds like his advisor played a blinder getting a 3 year extension when the tank is half empty.

3. saltire78

Forrest would walk into every single other team in the league... He only stands out as 'spent', 'too old' or 'half a tank' in our setup, because our other players make him look that way... If we were stuck using him for the rest of the season it would be squeeky-* stuff, but I genuinely think he'd still do the job...

As for the 3year deal... He's earned that for his service to the club. The way I'd see it going would be used as a spare this season, rarely next season and given payout/free in his last...

Liam II JP and The_Bhoy like this.
  4. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Its for this very reason im not sure he has a future in our team now. Im not sure what Forrest can bring to the team that someone else doesnt add, and more.

The performance at Ibrox was abysmal for me. Im struggling to see where he will play other than if we are hit with injuries.

5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    The role he’s playing is the one he’s doing just now mate. He’s an experienced old head that’s being brought on when we need it. And it’s proven worth it at points this season that as well, goals/assists to minutes this season he’s right up there. We’re too quick to dismiss how valuable experience is, not just on the pitch but in the background of pushing for silverware.

His voice in the dressing room, on the pitch and at Lennoxtown has always been quickly dismissed because he’s a guy that’s never been outspoken or went out his way to be in the limelight, but his attitude and what he still provides at times for us is invaluable in a very understated way. There’s a reason that Ange gave him the new contract, and a bigger reason why Ange has came out, pointedly after his hat trick, to wax lyrical about him being here.

I don’t think there’s a player as experienced as him at winning silverware in Scotland, that sets such an example in the background and can be relied upon as much as Ange has done for what he needs from as Forrest. He’s only 30/31 I think but he’s not long left in him, he deserves to retire as a one man club legend here.

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

[​IMG]

Big els and RabS like this.
  7. Big els

Fav Celtic Player:
    Currently: Ajer. Historically: Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I wanna be Edouard
    Had to watch that several times before I saw it! Too busy ball watching!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Had to do the same mate

Noticed it after the replay :56:

9. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I know he never made the match day squad but does he get a medal, having played in previous rounds?

10. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Very probably yes. My understanding is that the way it works in the Cups is that the club are awarded a maximum of 40 medals, to be distributed amongst players, coaches, staff and other significant figures of the club. Everyone who takes part in the Final obv immediately gets one, and the club then decides who also should be awarded with one, based on previous contributions, etc.

Dan Breen likes this.
  11. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    But officially he will go down as winning another trophy right?

12. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    It is showing that he has 7 now, including this season. He played 34 min (and scored a goal) v RossCo, unused sub v Motherwell & 9min v Killie in the SF.

It's the club's decision ultimately, but given all of his service to the club it was a bit of a no-brainer. Same with the likes of Jenz, Giakoumakis and Juranovic, who all played a bigger part than Forrest this campaign - minutes-wise at least - and likewise, they've all been awarded with one. So has Yosuke Ideguchi, who was an unused sub for the Motherwell game only, and he has one.

The flipside of that is, for example, Tom Rogic is credited by the club with 5 League Cup medals even though he was here while we won 6 (like Ideguchi he didn't kick a ball in the 2014/15 LgCup campaign, because of injury/operations/recovery - he also missed out on playing at the 2014 WC and winning the 2015 AFC with Australia when Ange was boss because of that), but Ideguchi got one for this season when Rogic didn't for that season, so...).

Like I said, the SPFL allocate 40 to the club in total, so apart from those who are part of the matchday squad for the Final, it's upto the club how they are allocated.

Dan Breen likes this.
  13. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Found it strange he wasn’t there for the celebrations. Wonder is anything up with him?

14. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    [​IMG]
    He's in this pic so it's not like he * off home in the huff or anything. He's a reserved guy and he wasn't even in the match squad. Probably just stayed in the background as he'll have been disappointed not to be involved. Wouldn't read too much into it.

Dan Breen likes this.
  15. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Ah good stuff so

Dan Breen likes this.
  16. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I think Ideguchi gets one as a thank you for coming. Rogic got other medals so not a massive loss.
    40 medals probably covers all who played, coaches and a translator.

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

James Forrest: Celtic winger suffers major fitness blow and has Scotland recall chances scuppered
    Celtic winger James Forrest faces several weeks out through injury.

Any hope the 31-year-old had of a Scotland recall for Euro 2024 qualifiers against Cyprus and Spain later this month has been scuppered. Manager Ange Postecoglou said: “James Forrest got a bit of a muscle strain in training so he is going to be out for a little while, which is unfortunate for him. He will miss the next period of games, probably beyond the international break.”

Forrest has found regular starts hard to come by under Postecoglou this season despite the Australian speaking in glowing terms about his contribution on and off the pitch. His best moment of the season when he scored a hat-trick in the 6-1 win over Hibs back in October, but he is now going to miss the club’s Premiership run-in, starting with Hearts’ visit to the east end of Glasgow on Wednesday night, and the Scottish Cup tie against the same club on Saturday.

18. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Difficult to see him featuring again this season then.

19. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    We've 8 league games and likely 2 more Scottish cup games to play after the international break, if it's a few weeks out he'll likely appear before the seasons out

20. GreenLeanMean

It's unfortunate for James thats he's injured just now. I know he's not near the first team but he would be a good option to have while abada & jota are out. Fair play to Vata though