1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

James Forrest

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Drakhan, Jul 25, 2015.

Discuss James Forrest in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Played well.

2. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    Another good game from James.

3. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Jamsey back to his best is another great option for Ange.

NakamuraTastic and Rydo1888* like this.
  4. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    First choice on the right for me. Capable of such class moments whether it's scoring or setting something up.

ynwa1987 likes this.
  5. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Yet another good shift from Jamesy, always taking right option, his experience showing, good decision making.

ynwa1987 likes this.
  6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic's low-key legend arrives in Madrid hoping this is not his Champions League farewell
    It can seem as if Celtic stalwart James Forrest needs only to step on to the pitch to end up keeping some form of rarified company.

Across the 31-year-old’s lengthy career, he has known more productive times in the Champions League than enjoyed in this campaign his club are about to conclude. Doing so in a fashion that seems incongruous. The club have waited more than four decades to earn themselves another evening against Real Madrid in the storied arena of the Bernabeu. Only for it to roll around when the good-but-not-good-enough story of their Group F participation has already been written. Yet, the fact that Forrest has played his part – albeit off the bench – across the five sectional encounters represents another landmark in a game for the hugely likeable character.

This is the fifth Champions League sortie that he has been involved in since he established himself in the senior Celticset-up 12 years ago. No Scottish-based player has jousted so often in the competition’s group stages with the game’s glitterati. Dead rubbers of the kind awaiting Celtic aren’t unknown to Forrest. Little is at the autumnal stage of a dazzling one-club journey that demands special status be accorded to the attacker. If we must reach for the standard term then, yes, legend it is. Low-key legend might more adequately describe it. It could only be so when the unassuming Ayshire product recently became only the ninth player in Scottish football’s Premier age – a period covering almost half a century – to net in 14 consecutive league campaigns, a feat he accomplished with a hat-trick in a 6-1 mauling of Hibs. A haul that led to him becoming only the 30th player in Celtic’s 134-year history to break the 100 goal-mark for the club.

Only one of his, now 101 strikes, was netted in the Champions League proper (he had a pretty happy knack of netting crucial goals in qualifiers). However, Forrest doesn’t pretend to have known an adventure quite like the one Ange Postecoglou set his team on with complete conviction. Forrest has played in a last 16 tie in the pre-eminent competition in club football – which he did when Celtic came up short against Juventus in 2012-13. Meanwhile, he scored his one Champions League goal, from the penalty spot, when Celtic snared a win against Ajax across a Champions League campaign that brought them five defeats. Never before, though, has he known Celtic daring to look to impose their front-foot game on all-comers, as they have in the past two months. In terms of results, it has left them coming up short – two draws against Shakhtar Donetsk the spoils as they have lost home and away to RB Leipzig, and in their own environs against Madrid. Yet, Forrest can respect, and applaud, the ambition.

I’ve said it to a few of the boys that [in the past] we maybe won games where you got one cross, one shot and then you are defending for 90 minutes,” said Forrest. “Sometimes you can get a result that way. But I have felt the boys were well in every game [this season] had our chances, and sometimes we just didn’t manage to take them. But I think it’s definitely promising the amount of chances we’ve created in the five games in the Champions League. The disappointing factor is that the club wanted to be in Europe after Christmas, I think it’s important for the players, the fans, the staff and everyone else as well. Apart from the results, that’s maybe the biggest disappointment, but we still have the other competitions to go for and we need to focus on that.”

Forrest would hate to think Madrid will represent his final excursion for Celtic in the Champions League. Many sought to present him as a spare part earlier this season. Celtic had a phalanx of wingers, and why would Postecoglou turn to him before Jota, Liel Abada, Daizen Maeda and Sead Haksabanovic. The craft and intelligence that Forrest has displayed in recent outings has demonstrated why his manager’s constant bigging up of him by his manager has not been empty words. As the player himself alights on in looking towards his future.

I signed the deal at the end of last season and I hope to be here for as long as I can,” continued Forrest. “Obviously this season we’ve got so many good players, but when you are playing for Celtic you are in loads of competitions, and being in the Champions League as well, there is nothing better. I think the performances have been really good but it’s maybe just been a bit unlucky that we haven’t managed to get the results and that win in the Champions League that the players and the fans deserve. The hunger is still there, you still want to be a part of these nights.

“The Champions League is massive. Every top European player wants to play in it. There are loads of boys that haven’t played in the Champions League before, and they have loved every game we’ve played in, both home and away. They’ve seen the way the fans have been as well, and for anyone, no matter what age you are, you always want that. You want to continue to be a part of that for as long as you can.

I said this to some of the boys who have played in the last couple of games, I think if you look at the amount of chances we have created then we’ve been in every game home and away. We’ve had loads of chances, and that all comes from the manager. Everyone is buying into the way he wants to play, real attacking football, and the more we put in performances like that then the results will come. I think it’s exciting, every player wants to play the way the manager wants to play, and I think that will continue as well.”

martin_d, NomDePlum and EddieBhoy1986 like this.
  7. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
  8. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    :56::56::56:

Totally. Said it in the thread he looks like he's gonnae pounce

Wllm likes this.
  9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

10. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Would that be his 100th assist or not quite?

11. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Excellent when he came on. So glad we still have him as an option.

Ryanm1984 likes this.
  12. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Yeah I think that still technically counts.

100+ goals and 100 assists. Only 3rd player in our history to do it. Fantastic achievement for him

NomDePlum likes this.
  13. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Good to see him today. Great performance.

14. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    That's of those which have been counted (the assists I mean). For the longest time these were not recorded sadly, but I can promise that more than 3 people have done that for the Hoops... Patsy Gallagher, Adam McLean, Bobby Lennox, Kenny Dalglish et al.

15. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Aye no doubt they all have and if assists had been counted they would be on the list. Jinky is on it when he's from similar era when assists weren't counted but I'm guessing they are just assuming he's an absolute given haha

16. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    100 goals and 100 assists. It’s a * unreal achievement.

Rydo1888* and Taz like this.
  17. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Good cameo from the wee man

18. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Apparently it was counted for Jinky though, Lennox and Dalglish you’d assume it would be as well? It makes sense to me that they would have done it. Especially Bobby, he was here for about 20 years in the end up. He’d only need to average 5 a season. Kenny, maybe not he’d be about 15 a season on average which is a bigger ask.

19. DdoubleD

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Another decent cameo. Played really well when given the chance so far this season.

Wllm likes this.
  20. Lewis Kerr

Legend, good cameo. Seems to have recovered a wee bit of pace.

Rydo1888* likes this.