1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Jake Clarke-Salter

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Notorious, Apr 3, 2024.

Discuss Jake Clarke-Salter in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic are plotting a summer swoop for Queens Park Rangers defender Jake Clarke-Salter, sources have told Football Insider.

The 26-year-old centre-back has caught the eye of the Glasgow giants with his performances for QPR in the Championship.

Celtic are eyeing central defensive reinforcements in the summer window with Brendan Rodgers prioritising that area of his team for improvement.

The Hoops signed Maik Nawrocki last summer (2023) for a reported £4.3million last summer but he is yet to break through as a first-choice option for Rodgers.

Liam Scales and Stephen Welsh have often played alongside top asset Cameron Carter-Vickers this term but Celtic are eyeing an upgrade this summer

Clarke-Salter has made 29 total appearances for QPR in the 2023-24 campaign, starting in 25 of those outings

The former Chelsea youngster has started each of the last 19 Championship games for the London side.

He has helped Marti Cifuentes’ side pull clear of the battle against relegation to League One after finding himself out of favour earlier this term under Gareth Ainsworth.

Clarke-Salter, who won the Under-20 World Cup with England as a youth, joined QPR from Chelsea on a free transfer in 2022.

His first move away from the Blues, where he came through the academy, came after loans at Coventry, Birmingham, Vitesse, Sunderland and Bristol Rovers.

He has racked up 114 appearances at Championship level but Celtic are now keen to bring him to Scotland with a view to also playing him in the Champions League next season

2. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Think we've been after him for years..

3. Thommo92

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    I live in London and QPR is my local team, so have seen Jake play a few times.

Hes a proper leader on the pitch, with good defensive nous and he’s quality in the air - probably his best attribute infact. Hes not rapid, but no slouch either. However, if you’re looking for a ball-playing centre back, he’s not the ideal candidate for it as his first touch can be heavy and his passing is iffy. He is left-footed though, which BR might like.

overall, he’s definitely an upgrade on the likes of Scales and would stroll it domestically but I do think we should be aiming for higher quality than him in European football.

Skelleto, Big Shoes, martin_d and 4 others like this.
  4. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    That’s worrying considering who’s been doing the scouting for us mate :56:

Gabriel, martin_d and McChiellini.. like this.
  5. Foley1888

Thanks for the insights, being left sided would be good. Sounds like he would fit pretty well next to CCV particularly if we got a better left back and keeper on the ball.

Another centre half who has had a career similar to CCV so far at the same club is Japhet Tanganga, I am surprised we haven’t tried to get him in even on loan. He is very fast for a centre back and although not the tallest has some leap on him. He can cover right back too.

6. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Heard he spends his winter break driving gritters. Pass.

7. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

asked my mate whos a massive QPR fan about him

upload_2024-4-4_12-26-50.png

8. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Would take him. First and foremost we need solidity domestically again as we've shipped too many goals this season and championship players often do the job for us.

Kelvin Wilson and even Goldson for the Huns also stepped up in Europe etc so I dont think the fact he plays at that level currently would prevent him from doing a job on the continent. It all depends on how we set up as well, if he's good enough.

We need minimum 2 CBs summer anyway.

martin_d and HTG like this.
  9. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Him and Scott Mckenna :BR1:

Champions0607, martin_d and Mr Shelby like this.
  10. Peter T. Lawwell Esq Chairman of Celtic FC PLC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Getting offers from EPL teams apparently

11. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    All depends on who in EPL are in for him especially if he wants to play Champions League football each season

12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Can remember the outcry about CCV after reading Bournemouth fans opinions of him.

And the start of this season, Liverpool fans talking about Nat Phillips saying they wanted him next to Van Dijk first choice and harshly overlooked.

*, there was probably times Forrest was linked away from us fans reading Celtic fans opinions of him and thinking he was useless with the narrative around his full Celtic career.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  13. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

I know not much to go off but generally I'd rather see fans of clubs say they're sad to see him go than happy to see the back of him.

Norwich fans were right about Cantwell, for example.

14. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic are “confident” of meeting Queens Park Rangers’ asking price for defender Jake Clarke-Salter this summer, sources have told Football Insider.

According to The Telegraph’s John Percy (7 May), QPR will demand around £5-7million for the 26-year-old in the off-season

Brendan Rodgers’ side are set for a huge transfer budget boost as they close in on the Scottish Premiership title after their win over Rangers on Saturday (11 May

Sources have told Football Insider that Celtic will bank a guaranteed £35million from playing in the Champions League league phase if they pick up one more top-flight point and retain the title.

As a result, it is believed the Glasgow giants are confident of meeting QPR’s demands for Clarke-Salter as they look to strengthen at centre-back

The 26-year-old has had a strong season in the Championship and has good pedigree after coming through the ranks at Chelsea in the early stages of his career

He is also wanted in England, with Football Insider revealing on 6 April that Crystal Palace, Burnley and Bournemouth are ready to join the race for his signature this summer.

Clarke-Salter made 33 appearances across all competitions this season, starting in 29 of those outings.

He joined QPR from Chelsea in 2022 and is under contract until June 2026

15. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I'd be happy with this, by all accounts he's had an excellent season down south and we still have Nawrocki to challenge for 3rd choice.

Moreover, its likely to be a player Rodgers wants if its from down south.

Ryanm1984 likes this.
  16. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Guff source but wouldn’t be surprised if there’s interest.

Looks like he could be another CCV. Out of a top 6 academy and made a name for himself in the Championship.

Left footed which is always a nice bonus

Ryanm1984 likes this.
  17. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Hes also got a double barrelled name like CCV get him signed

18. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Was just about to ask if he was left footed..

Is he quick, good in the air or on the ball?

We were definitely linked in previous windows and Rodgers will probably know him well from his links, being an ex Chelsea academy coach..

19. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Definite take as said above.

Maintain we need 2x CBs though. If Nawrocki isn't deemed good enough right now. And Scales I just really would rather goes down the order a bit.

20. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Just read that QPR hold an interest in Bosun Lawal. Wouldn't mind loaning him there for 18 months or something as part of this.

Although I do think he has potential himself.

martin_d likes this.