1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Jack Aitchison

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 15, 2016.

Discuss Jack Aitchison in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CELTIC striker Jack Aitchison has thanked out-going manager Ronny Deila for giving him the chance to shine in Sunday’s 7-0 win over Motherwell.
    The 16-year-old Hoops striker became the youngest-ever Celt when he made his debut with 15 minutes left of the weekend clash with the Steelmen, at the age of 16 years and 71 days, and he marked the occasion with his first senior goal, scoring with his first touch on the 77th minute.
    It was a dream come true for the teenager, who has been part of the club’s Youth Academy since he was eight-years-old, and the Fauldhouse Bhoy thanked the departing manager for giving him the opportunity to show what he can do.
    “I’m very thankful to Ronny for giving me an opportunity,” he said. “I wasn’t expecting it but to give me the time he did was brilliant.
    “I didn’t think I’d get that much but it was down to the team scoring those goals and playing so well that I came on so early.”
    Aitchison’s strike against Mark McGhee’s side was his second in two appearances at Celtic Park this year after he opened the scoring for the Hoops Under-19 side in the UEFA Youth League play-off match against Valencia in February.
    That goal and his subsequent performances for the Under-17s and the Development Squad saw the striker win his first professional contract at the club at the end of April, signing with the champions for the next three years, and he said he plans to continue his progression with more hard work.
    “That goal against Valencia was very important because that was one of my first starts with the development team,” he said. “To come in and score against Valencia in the UEFA Youth League was amazing but to come here again and score again on my second time, I’m just hoping I score every time I come here.
    “But it’s all down to hard work and this is just the start of it. The highest crowd I’d played in front of was 6,000 and now it’s up at 50,000 and it has still not sunk in.
    “I just need to keep working hard and keep my feet on the ground. Hopefully I’ll get more opportunities like that.”

JACK Aitchison returned to the scene where he made history today and he admitted that he has been replaying the magical moment in his head over and over again.
    Within a matter of minutes of Sunday’s season finale against Motherwell, the 16-year-old became the youngest-ever player to wear the Hoops and score for the club.
    Introduced as substitute for Tom Rogic, the striker reacted fastest to Callum McGregor’s deflected pass and drilled a shot into the far corner with his very first touch of the ball.
    It was the stuff of fairytales and the Celtic Youth Academy graduate was then part of the post-match celebrations as Ronny Deila’s side savoured five-in-a-row on the back of a 7-0 rout of the Steelmen.
    After training with the U17s at Barrowfield this afternoon, Aitchison retraced his steps on the pitch in Paradise and reflected on a crazy 48 hours.
    Speaking exclusively to the Celtic website, he said: “I have had a couple of sleepless nights. It’s an unreal feeling to score on your debut. It’s amazing to watch it and I keep watching the video over and over again. Walking down the tunnel and looking at the goal again and trying to remember it in my head is fantastic, and I’m very thankful for all the support I’ve had.
    “I saw Stuart Armstrong play it in to Callum McGregor and he tried to play it to Ryan Christie and it took a deflection which I read quickly.
    “I didn’t think I had much time to finish it so I hit it with my left first time and I was going to say luckily it went in but I knew it was in as soon as I hit it.
    “When you watch the video back and you see the fans jumping up and the atmosphere when I scored, it’s a dream come true. I never thought it would happen as soon as this. The hard work is paying off but it’s just the start and I need to keep working hard.”
    Aitchison has been with part of the Celtic Youth Academy for around eight years and has been part of the innovative partnership with St Ninian’s High School in recent years.
    The talented teenager believes this programme has helped accelerate his development and he also thanked outgoing manager Ronny Deila for giving him his chance.
    “I came in at Under-8s and worked my way up through to the Intermediate Academy and at then at U14s I went into St Ninian’s,” said the young Celt.
    “I was up at 6am to train at 7am. I would finish training, get showered and have breakfast in the school and then we would go to our classes. After school we would go and train at Lennoxtown and I wouldn’t get home to about half-eight at night.
    “I was taken out of school and went with the Development team and have been with them for three months. I also got to train with the first team a couple of times and I’m thankful to Ronny for bringing me in so early.
    “Being part of the school programme makes you very focused. Among all the boys at school, it’s amazing to be the one to get picked to play and it was a dream come true to score.”

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

goal against Barca today.

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=agrXHqWJ6VU[/ame]

3. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    Good little run and finish. Really hope this guy can continue his development and be able to eventually perform for our first team.

4. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

16 years of age as well, Bhoy has the World as his feet.

5. BelfastCelt88

Nice finish.

6. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    Tells you what Rodgers thinks of Ciftci if he can't even make the bench over Aitchison :giggle1:

*Edit - Could mean he's off before the window closes, not wanting risk injury even with his two regular strikers out?

7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Aitchison is and will be a much better player than Ciftci..

Wee man came on and made an impact again....can't ask for much more than that..

I know it's designated takers and people will have there own target's they want to hit but..... I was slightly disappointed the wee man never got it as we were coasting anyway and he probably won't get a shot now for a wee while..

Sinky could've easily passed it on for Aitchison as Griff did for him..

8. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Aye thought that was poor from Sinclair, wee guy at 16 surely youd have let him take it since he won it game was already won and not as if he needed it for a hat-trick or that.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  9. celtic20

To be honest, I would've liked Aitchison to have grabbed the ball. But I didn't even think it looked as though he wanted to take it. As soon as he won it the Sky cameras panned onto his face and he looked quite nervous, so wouldn't surprise me if he sort of shied away from it, totally understandable for a 16-year old as missing it might have stuck with him for a long time. But would loved to have seen him give it a go.

10. McManus4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Would have been nice to see him take it but I'm the first to praise BR's professionalism and how that's rubbed off on the squad.

11. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I want to see him start a couple towards the end of the season.

Just realised he is a fellow West Lothian man (boy) as well.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    That's a fair point and possibility to be fair..

13. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Not sure.
    Would like to see us go unbeaten, but then our striker isnt going to really stop that is he? Rest of the team will keep everyone else out and plenty of others to score if need be.

Certainly want to see more of him, start giving him 30mins if we are 2 up and the likes.

Got to remember, only 16. We have 4 years to go before he even gets to the henderson age/stage.

Only thing I will say, as good as he looked and he done very well with the ball to get the penalty, he will need to cut out the over the top theatrics when he went to ground.
    It was a foul, penalty all day long, but bit to ott

14. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    Something about him I don't like.

Think it stems from the time he was asked if making his debut and scoring for Celtic as a dream come true and he said "no, Arsenal are my team" or something to that effect.

15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Eh?

16. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Bollocks.

"And then when he called me on to give me my debut in front of 50,000 fans, it was just a dream come true."

17. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He cleans their boots, it most certainly was not his place to be making demands of the senior boys.

That being said there is an argument Sinclair should have gave him it but it's by the by.

Artorias likes this.
  18. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

For the penalty not seen it again, looked a little bit theatrical in the fall but looked definite contact, shame he was on so late but slotted in well and some good movement.

19. celtic20

Disagree with the top bit, don't like that argument at all.

He won the penalty, and at 3-0 up, should've had every right to take it if he wanted.

20. PeeKay Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    100% agree, Sinclair should of give him the ball, rather than him demanding it.

Nevermind though.