1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Highest Grossing films of All Time

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by Celtic_Daft1888, Feb 22, 2023.

Discuss Highest Grossing films of All Time in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Avatar 2 becomes the 3rd highest grossing film of all time, surpassing Titanic.

It has now made $2.244b. Titanic($2.243b) now drops to 4th in the all time list. Avatar 2 likely to continue pulling away over the course of the next couple of week. Will never catch Avatar ($2.923b) and Avengers EndGame ($2.799b).

Looks likely that it will finish up somewhere around the $2.3b mark, give or take a few million. It is also the highest grossing film since the pandemic, smashing past Spiderman No Way Home. Looks like the cinemas are getting back to pre covid levels.

James Cameron now reponsible for 3 of the 4 highest grossing films of All Time(Avatar 1+2 and Titanic) and Zoe Saldana has been in the top 3(Neytiri in Avatar franchise and Gamora in Avengers Endgame)

2. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/ Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Fifty Shades of Grey is also one of the highest grossing novels of all time. It too is a piece of *. Cameron's movies starting with The Terminator were great and have gradually faded to the mindless trash of Avatar. So boring it could keep a corpse awake. In fact I've drank week old boiled water that was more exciting.

Taz and Doogs. like this.
  3. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Of all the films ffs. Avatar is bang average and the sequel doesn't look any better.

TheHappyLoss, Taz and Doogs. like this.
  4. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    If you take inflation into account, Gone with the Wind is at $4b. Obviously, we don’t do that though.

I must admit, I like the Avatar franchise and I enjoyed the second one. Avengers Endgame should have been the highest grossing film of all time for me, though. 10 years of build up, 20 odd films. It was a very special film.

Slightly biased position, given I’m a comic book freak.

5. scuzzy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke, KT, Naka, Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenry
    Gotta say I've heard nothing at all as regards Avatar 2, not heard anyone talk about it never mind how wonderful it's supposed to be, whereas Avatar itself was well spoken about, i'm still interested in seeing it but assumed it wasn't too good as I've heard nothing about it.

6. dmccourt95

Avatar 2 was very meh for me, will give it the benefit of the doubt having been 12 years since the first film and there being 4 more to follow this one

7. scuzzy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke, KT, Naka, Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenry
    That's true it has been a few years didn't realise it was as much as 12 though, but another 4 gawd it'll prolly be mince by then.
    Didn't realise you are in Clydebank too :50:

8. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I’d be astounded if the 4 Avatar films that follow are released in the way they’re predicted too right now. I can see there being a break after Avatar 3 comes out in 2024.

9. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    It must be noted that it is because the all time numbers are NOT adjusted for inflation. it does highlight how incredible Titanic's BO was, that it is still way,way up there after 25years to still be in the top 4nof all time, but clearly the recency bias as it's geared to the money made today.

For example, Gone With the Wind made $402m in 1939 dollars, which equates to about US$3.44 billion today. The original Star Wars made US$775 million in 1977, which would be about US$3.22 billion today, etc.

Gabriel likes this.
  10. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    There are so many variables it would be impossible to compare using just inflation.

The greater availability world wide. Peoples capacity to afford to go to the cinema. Money generated on streaming services, video, DVD etc.

11. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Box office numbers are just that, mate. They don't include the ancillary market. For example, films can make 10s of millions of dollars from rental/dvd/streaming but that is not included in the overall box office numbers.

Taz likes this.
  12. horseshoe

Even if you don't like superhero movies you can understand why something like Infinity War or Endgame destroyed at the box office, you've got a whole decade long series of films building up to it with a lot of variety, someone could think the Thor films are * but like Iron-Man, or don't like Captain America but loved Guardians of the Galaxy or Spider-Man, so they'll still go see them, they cast a really wide net to pull people in.

I know the 3D gimmick was a big draw at the time and that bumped up the ticket price as well, but it still baffles me that Avatar was so succesful, the film was just dull as *, and I don't really feel like there's been anything near the level of people hyping up this new one like say marvel or star wars, as if the first one left everybody desperate for more adventures of popular character Jake Sully... I really don't get it.

Taz likes this.
  13. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    The BO numbers are purely from theatrical releases, and often these were only US/Can 'domestic' figures, rather than worldwide. Although it should be further noted that the International BO numbers were rarely recorded or even estimated until the 1980's. Prior to that and even into the 90's it is just the US/Can (or what the industry dubs Nth America 'domestic') BO figures that are known and quoted.

Modern and historical revenues from streaming, VOD, DVD/VHS etc sales/rentals and other auxilliary markets (airlines/hotels etc) are not included in the figures discussed.

For instance, I used to work in a video store back in the mid-90s and the only figures the distributors got was from the sale/rental of the videos to the stores themselves, which was considerably higher than the price that videos were by the time they were on general sale. It's also why those old enough will remember those stores some shelves of movies with rows and rows dedicated to 'big name' new releases and minimal copies of other lesser releases, but the rule of thumb was each copy no matter how big or small had to be rented out to customers about 20-25 times before the store would start to actually make a profit off of each video. But I digress...

The point being, everything that was then generated instore beyond those initial outlays were not reported back to the distributor and from them back to the studios.

14. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    This. So. Much. :50:

I am yet to hear a single person say how much these Avatar movies are loved. There is appreciation for the visuals etc and world building I guess, but can anyone say that they love these or are their all-time favourites, or anything even remotely close to that? Neither of the Avatar movies had anywhere near enough story to warrent the 3+ hr runtimes, and when like myself can't even see them it really underlines how thin they are and how transparently it's minimal effort goes into the writing, just outright ripping other older, better movies off.

15. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I seen someone describe Avatar as an Alien World, live action Pocahontas and I think that sums it up.

I must admit, I like both Avatars but I thought the second one was far better. Topgun Maverick aside, it was probably my favourite film from 2022. I also enjoyed the Jurassic World Dominion film, even though it wasn't popular.

16. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I think there is a considerable curiousity aspect to the Avatar figures and that extends to acknowledgement of where the cutting edge is at, at the technical levels, given the 13yr wait to see the improvements in the cutting edge. but strip back all the visuals, and the first is essentially displaced Western like Dances With Wolves, or as you said Pocahontas (or even older, 1950's Broken Arrow) in Sci-fi world.

As for the new one, seriously, how many movies tell a story of someone or a family etc moving somewhere new and having to fit in/prove themselves to those around them as well as dealing with the past? Like, literally hundreds - including essentiall retreading the first in a different environment.

17. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    This though significantly effect box office figures.
    Was it not feared at the time that video rental would spell the end of cinema. There was a significant drop in cinema numbers at that time and it spelt the end for many small one and two screen establishments

Taz likes this.
  18. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    It did indeed, and lead to the rise in multiplexes being built in the 1980s and partly why introduction of things like Gold Class/VIP etc, IMAX started to come in around the late 90's and early 00's.

Although many of those places with just a couple of screens were a hangover from the days when studios themselves were more directly responsible for their own distribution incl owning theatres or arrangements/deals with theatre owners to only show their studio's films, often extending for years at a time, right through and into the late 60's even this was very common. So they were already out of date to handle the influx of the blockbusters in the 70s such as Jaws or Star Wars, and why would get those massive queues that would stretch around the block.

As much as they had great character to those theatres, sadly they weren't really fit for purpose by that point for the shifting in the movie industries models for those big releases. Still, it was sad to see happen and would go to them as often as I could back then and why those that still exist should be treasured and preserved.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
    Gabriel likes this.
  19. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    People are like sheep …. Did the neighbour or workmate see avatar oh * better go see it then …. Even though said person has no interest in sc-fi usually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Avatar is pish too. It’s a completely different audience compared to the first movie too, I’m not buying how successful the 2nd has been. Some * is at it, I don’t even know anyone that saw it.