1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Guitars

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Unirea Gus, Feb 2, 2016.

Discuss Guitars in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

Check this out then;
    :50:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9oiNfw9t48[/ame]

2. Scullybhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Easy Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    PRS 25th anniversary

3. PlacidPenguin

'The middle of nowhere' according to some!
    Am a complete beginner and have a Yamaha Pacifica which I am learning with. Those rock stars make it look so easy (which of course it isn't) but I am determined to stick at it cos it's been something I have wanted to do for as long as I can remember.

4. ruzzle76

Fav Celtic Player:
    lubomir moravcic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    the willy maley song
    ive had one for years since they first came out. and whereas the sounds loaded into them a load of them are utter gash some are brilliant. but as u can download effects edit them all to your own taste. it has a brilliant sequencer. and a tough as * wah wah and expression pedal. but as I would say to anyone don't go on anyone elses opinion as everyones tastes vary. experiment and see what works for you

5. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    Would really love to learn how to play one

And to sing :smiley-laughing002:

6. Tulf

I bought a * Ibanez GIO of some sort when I was about 17, only just started playing it again, really need to buy something new.

Would * love a Mayones or Kiesel.

7. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    No idea of models but got a fender strat, a jackson, and a takimene acoustic.
    No played proper in ages though. Need to get my * in gear and also buy a new amp. Mines got bumped years ago. Limited edition green cased marshall. Was raging

8. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    If it's difficult to play take it to get it properly set up. Will only cost about £10 and take along your favourite brand and size of strings for them to put on.
    Will make a massive difference and will feel like a new guitar.
    Vast majority of guitars come out the factory with a basic set up that depending on the guy working in the factory at the time could be passable or complete *. :smiley-laughing002:

I had a Telecaster many years ago that was horrible to play - i bought it used and the nut had been replaced but wasnt cut down - just stuck in as it came. So the action was stupidly high.
    I intended on doing it myself but didn't i just got * off with it and gave the guitar away to my uncle (who had let me borrow his Gibson, yes Gibson acoustic when i first started learning).
    I played it a few years later after it had been set up properly and worn in and it was * amazing.
    I still let him keep it.

9. Gercelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic song, Let the people sing, Fields
    ...yer no a real guitar player until you play acoustic!!!:icon_mrgreen::icon_mrgreen::icon_mrgreen:

Good guitars bud, the Pacifica. With a a few mods they can become excellent...good value for money!

Enjoy

10. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Played guitar when I was younger, think it will be one of those things I pick back up as I age. Alot of my mates play, so we have a good sing song and that full of it, didnt really see the point in me picking it back up.

11. Gercelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic song, Let the people sing, Fields
    Getting a new guitar for my 50th....wife treating me!!

I only play acoustic up until now, but really fancy getting a semi acoustic....my current faves are

Epiphone Ltd. Ed. Riviera Custom P93

Ibanez AF75TDG-VSB Vintage

Gretsch G2622T Streamliner CB DC Bigsby Flagstaff Sunset

12. johnboy19

Fav Celtic Player:
    Billy McNeil and Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song and The Celtic Symphony
    Call me old fashioned but I still love A Telecaster. Great sound and great to play.
    My son is a bass player and plays in a band called 28mph. They play rock/grunge. They're looking for a singer right now, but back to the story, he plays a ESP 8 string bass. He plays it like a second guitar. It's a beautiful Guitar, and sounds amazing.

13. bassbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ronnie Simpson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    I play bass in a rock band in British Columbia
    I have a 86 fender (japan) jazz
    A schecter82 custom shop precision
    and an american music man SUB
    I also have a peavey legend telecaster from the mid eighties which is of surprisingly high quality and looks beautiful.
    and finally a norman 82 12 string acoustic.
    I dont really get much time on the guitars as my guitar player is a monster player and we are learning songs all the time
    so between bass and vocals, and a family, and supporting Celtic I,m pretty busy

14. KennyBhoy87

Aria Pro II TS-600. Beautiful guitar from 1982 or so, through neck and wood detailing is stunning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Swervedancer Guest

Good acoustic instruments get better with age due to the nature of wood aging so for £1000 it might be worth having a look at second hand instruments in shops. Unless I was an expert I don't think I'd risk £1,000 on one from a personal sale, definitely not eBay where you can't get to play it or inspect it.

Mind you for that price you will get a decent guitar brand new and any reputable shop will already have it set up well. As already been mentioned, make sure to play as many as possible before you choose as each guitar feels different to each person cause all of our hands are different.

All the best in your search and playing :50:

Regards multi effects pedals, I can only agree with the person who said it's best to buy individually. Sound quality is better and it's easier to set up a particular sound. You can add to them as you go along and sell the ones you don't quite like. Any top guitarist I've seen has individual pedals linked up.

16. Tulf

Sorry mate just seen this.

Aye I could do with getting it set up properly, bought it second hand and I haven't changed anything on it bar the strings. Some chords sound dead half the time, sometimes get a buzz on the low E string, pain in the *.

This could also be down to be being 100% self taught and basically only been playing seriously for about three months but still. Dunno where I would get it set-up either though as there are no music shops where I live, might buy a new guitar soon anyway, sick of looking at my current one.

17. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Yell.com

Search for guitar luther or guitar tech. Just explain your a beginner and your guitar has a few dead spots or buzzing frets and you want them to have a look and give it a set up.
    Might need some fret levelling or a new nut if there is buzzing but again that won't cost much.

What sort of guitar are you after if you get another?

18. Tulf

Never thought of that, found a guy that repairs guitars out of his house. Cheers.

Dunno, been looking through second hand guitars on RichToneMusic, seems they do a lot of good deals on them. Just looking for something around £200 that would be better than my Ibanez.

19. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Mate if you are spending £200 you could get a really decent second hand guitar for that price.:50:

20. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Bout an acoustic Ibanez years ago - nearly 10 years.
    Barely played it, had too much on my mind at a young age to dedicate to learning the craft.

Anyone any pointers to learning? Links to decent sites that help teach or books/cds or anything?
    Better to read Tab, or learn music, or just pick up and go?