1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Greg Taylor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Sep 2, 2019.

Discuss Greg Taylor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. James Gold Member Gold Member

He's likeable but not good enough.

2. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

Works hard and will run up and down the wing all day long for you, but lacks the confidence and/or ability to beat a man and that's something we need - especially if we're going 3-5-2.

Happy to have a guy like him in the squad to rotate or bring off the bench to close games out etc, but not a first choice quality player in my opinion.

Slaw likes this.
  3. rickyroma25

Don't want to be unkind to the guy, but he just doesn't have the quality or attributes to do what we need him to do.

Twisty, Markybhoy and romeo9535 like this.
  4. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Aye. We need another LB but he'll do a job for us.

Rydo1888* likes this.
  5. Pearse67*

Do a job?

He is abysmal, he goes forward and as soon as he spots an opposition player he turns back, completely unbalances the side, hes weak, hes slow, he honestly is spl level dross!

Forrest lwb and Frimpong rwb going forward, until we can get another lwb in.

6. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    If he was abysmal he wouldn't have laid a chance on a plate for Klimala. He's more than good enough domestically.

martin_d, Mickmac and Mince.Charming like this.
  7. Pearse67*

Youre basing his ability off one chance??

* me i seen Mo Camara stick a few decent balls in but i had the sense to realise he was * *!

8. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    No, I'm basing my opinion on his ability after watching him play for us for a few months. He'd have had an assist on Wednesday night too if the linesman had done his job properly.

I think we need to find better if we can, but I've no issue with seeing him play for us in the league. Has room for improvement too.

martin_d, Mickmac, trackebhoy and 2 others like this.
  9. Maestro 08

Love his attitude but it's only going to get him so far. Unless he finds a way to go on the outside he'll only ever be back-up for us going forward. Point blank refuses to go on the outside which just kills the momentum of so many attacks. We use that flank a heck of a lot with McGregor drifting out there and Moi and he's slowing everything down.

10. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Between him and Boli it's been a bit of a disaster filling the LB position, the guts of 5 mil spent ffs.

trackebhoy and limezer like this.
  11. Montero Gold Member Gold Member

I like Taylor but he should be no more than back up, we need to be looking for a player similar to Frimpong for the lwb role.

12. Garrymac1888

He's a very likeable boy and I really really wanted him to do well.

Bottom line though, he isnt very good.

romeo9535 likes this.
  13. muaythai postie

Fav Celtic Player:
    lubo
    Shouldn't be playing in a 352. Should be frimpong every time. Maybe in a 442 but in my opinion he's not good enough for Celtic.

romeo9535 likes this.
  14. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I disagree with this.
    Iv not seen him make a mistake which has directly led to a goal. I think its reasonable to expect a bit better quality of LB at Celtic and i think we have been spoiled im recent years with Izzy and Tierney, but he has been far from abysmal.
    Theres no way he can be considered a flop.
    We have spent more on some who have given a lot less. Maybe lacking in pace, but he isnt abysmal.

15. stirfry999

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate oreily kyogo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    y n w a
    Guy is not the best

16. CH4 Gold Member Gold Member

Not good enough for us it’s as simple as that

17. DonnyCelt

Not gonna make it here I'm afraid

18. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

He’s far from abysmal but lacks the physical attributes to do the job being asked of him. We need a left back.

19. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

To be fair O’Donnell had made a complete * of that interception. He slid in but didn’t make any contact with the ball so it was put on a plate for him.

He can put good crosses in but he is too reliant in getting played in by team mates. He can’t beat a man himself or make half a yard to get a cross in without hitting the first man.

Doesn’t fit the 352 at all as he is never a wing back. For the 352 to work I feel you need a wing back like Frimpong who can just pick up the ball, take players out of the game with his pace and get us up the pitch. Taylor is better suited as a LB in a 4 in games where we are more defensive than attacking, which lets face it isn’t often.

HoopswithPride likes this.
  20. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    I would disagree he is abysmal. However we need to get more from him and Mo El for that matter.

Taylor does make plenty of overlaps, however we have seen teams camp on the edge of the area on almost every occasion domestically. That takes away that run because the space isn't there to play him in and the sheer number of bodies, there is a good chance someone will have him marked. Taylor nor Mo El can go/have shown they can go on the outside, like Frimpong or Forrest can do on the right side. As a result, the play down the left side tends more to go inside more often than not. Taylor will go around the outside, if he can't deliver a cross. Then he cuts back and plays back towards our goal towards Mo El or McGregor. The play then comes inside and in-front of the defending team. Which fits right into their game plan.

We need more from both players. We need to find a solution to get something going on that side. Do we ask Taylor to deliver crosses from deeper and change the angle of attack? The problem with this is that the majority of Scottish sides with lumps of wid at centre half would be delighted with this.

The rotation on the left tends to be Taylor wide and on the overlap, Mo drops inside and McGregor sits deep for the ball coming back out and to switch the play. Maybe we can look at adjusting this. Have Mo hold the width (intially) and allow him to combine with McGregor on the inside. Both of them are very capable of working in the tight areas. Taylor holds the depth and also in place to deliver crosses from deep as teams look to clear the area.

The other solution is play someone else. Boli has * it for himself. I don't know if Frimpong can play that side. And we have tried Forrest in this area, but hes all right foot. Been linked with a move for Barry Douglas and a guy from OG Nice, Andy Pelmard. Primarily a centre half, but capable of playing as a full back.