1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Giorgos Giakoumakis

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by The Thumb, Aug 31, 2021.

Discuss Giorgos Giakoumakis in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Looks like a Greek Craig David.

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Sound lad

Celtic Football Club is delighted to announce that it has made its 10th signing of the summer transfer window, with the announcement that striker Giorgos Giakoumakis has joined the Club, subject to international clearance.

Giorgos has signed from Dutch side VVV-Venlo on a five-year deal. The forward, who made his international debut for Greece last year, finished the 2020/21 Eredivisie campaign as top scorer with 26 goals.

In six appearances for his country, the 26-year-old has netted once, and has club-level experience playing in the Dutch league, Poland’s Ekstraklasa and the Greek Super League – most recently for AEK Athens.

Giorgos Giakoumakis commented: “I’m really delighted to commit my long term future to Celtic and I can’t wait to get started with my new team mates.

“Celtic is one of the world’s great football clubs with the best fans around. It is a Club I have admired for so long and it will now be an honour to wear this famous jersey. To know that the Manager wanted me so much to join Celtic is really humbling and it makes me know I have made the right choice.”

“We have some exciting challenges this season in Scotland and in Europe and I will be doing all I can to help the team as much as possible and bring our supporters success.”

Celtic today confirmed the signing of striker Giorgos Giakoumakis, and the Greece internationalist now can’t wait to open his scoring account in green and white.

With 26 goals last campaign, the forward was top-scorer in the Netherlands’ Eredivisie, and said he can already hear the noise from the Paradise faithful as they celebrate his first goal at the club.

Speaking exclusively to Celtic TV, the 26-year-old said: “It’s really amazing, I’m really excited and I’m looking forward to wearing this strip with pride. Celtic have always been a team I’ve liked and I’ve watched many games in the past.

“The amazing atmosphere in the stadium is something else and I’m delighted to be here and to help write history together.

'I’m already hearing the stadium celebrating my first goal in my head. I’m really looking forward to scoring my first goal with our fans and celebrating together.'

“I’m really proud, I’m happy and I’m really excited that I signed for this beautiful club. I’ll give 100 percent in every single game to help my team to win every game, because this is the target that Celtic should always have – to win in every game, in Europe and in the Scottish Premiership.”

Giakoumakis said while he was delighted to have notched so many goals last season, having no fans in stadiums was unfortunate for everyone involved in football. Moving forward, he said his previous record has inspired him to work even harder with an eye on the future.

Before the move, ex-Celt and countryman Georgios Samaras spoke highly of Celtic and what lies ahead for Giakoumakis.

The striker added: “I’ve watched a lot of Georgios’ games and we worked together in Greece, he’s now the president of OFI Crete where I played for two years.

“We’ve known each other for a while and we keep in touch, I’ve learned lots from him and that’s made me even more excited to come and play here.

“He told me that the fans are great, that I will represent a very big club, and I’ll be expected to win every game.

“The manager’s attacking style of play is perfect for me. I can’t wait to come, to meet the fans and start something really good together.”

Artorias likes this.
  3. Jax Teller

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thumb
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Soldier song
    Doesn’t suit my agenda

4. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    He’s saying “please don’t let it be that * Gerry McCulloch, oh * it is that *!”.

5. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Welcome.

Sign some defenders Celtic. Or feel my wrath.

My wrath might be isolated but it will be strong.

bobs1974 likes this.
  6. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone/ Fields of Athenry
    Wonder if ange will be going with two up top at times, cant imagine this guy being happy sitting on the bench.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  7. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    So, Samaras had put in a word? That's lovely, just like his hair.

Cammaris and AussieGreek like this.
  8. DonnyCelt

Thought he was in Glasgow?

9. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Hopefully our new hunslayer

10. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    The way we play at home in the League might not work on smaller pitches most of the away teams have. Everything is more compact and harder to play though. Those games we will probably need crosses from wide and he should be a good addition for those games as someone you can cross a ball into.

Edouard up front heavily limited us in those type of games cause he never headered a ball, never got into the box and we were left trying to break teams down by having to play too well to create chances. Now we should have more basic options and easier paths to goals that a striker can get in the box and will header a ball if we put it in.

11. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I must be getting miserable as * the older I get..

I couldn't even read anymore after I scanned one of the great club's of the world and great atmosphere. Zzzz..

Anyway, bang them in ya big Greek *..

12. celtic warrior

Celtic casually trying fluff up or transfer dealing by making a point of starting he's our 10th signing.

Rubbish.

Sgt Neppers* and callumrae1967 like this.
  13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    … but it is actually our 10th signing how is that rubbish?

14. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

He’s at Necropolis.

15. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

He is.

There is loads to fling at the board. That isn’t one of them.

Have a lie down, recharge, and try again.

16. Keano88

Runoured it was done on Monday
    Dragged the announcement until late on Tuesday
    He arrived at the club on Wednesday
    And on Thursday and Friday and Saturday
    He trained on Sunday

:fear:

17. AussieGreek

For those who kept questioning whether Barkas knows English ( :biggrin::biggrin: ), this is pretty much the standard of English for anyone under the age of 45-50 in Greece.

Very happy with this signing and I'm sure he will bang them in.

18. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

From youtube he looks pretty good, decent on the ball but not that fast, holds the ball up well and very good in the air. He’ll be our plan B for the harder games when we need an outball from the back. Looks good back up for Kyogo to be honest.

19. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Good luck, you are going to need it buddy!

20. oh bhoy

With any luck he will continue his last season's form