1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Giorgos Giakoumakis

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by The Thumb, Aug 31, 2021.

Discuss Giorgos Giakoumakis in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Wish we never sold him as he gave us something different from Kyogo

2. BhoyFitz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Song
    Bad mistake, punting him.

3. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    Probably one of anges biggest failures was not giving this guy a run of games together with kyogo. Would of kept him happy

4. trip2themoon Concomitant Allez-Vous?

Fav Celtic Player:
    Peter Grant
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the Old Brigade

This sickens me now. If we lose Kyogo to injury we're *.

BigDoggyWoofWoof and BhoyFitz like this.
  5. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Was a "hands tied" situation. I think him here with no Kyogo he's the star man but- and luckily for us - we have Kyogo. Kyogo is on another level to him. Just bad timing for him being here and his age too. If he'd been younger he would have likely been happier to accept 2nd fiddle status.
    Wish him all the best, he's a total ride tae.

6. horseshoe

Would have been a mistake to keep him, he wasn't happy here being second choice behind Kyogo, don't know how many times it needs to be spelled out to people.

neilly1987 and Tim-Time 1888 like this.
  7. PaddyJamieson

He wanted to leave, nothing we could do about it. Kyogo is the better player.

neilly1987 likes this.
  8. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I think that depends on the opposition. Kyogo is amazing aginst weaker teams (most SPL teams) and peer teams (Huns and EL teams). However, against superior opposition with better players than us (most CL teams), I'd genuinely argue that GG is/was a better option than Kyogo.

9. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    TBH, I'd tend to agree with this. In a perfect world, GG probably should've started a few more times in those sorts of games (even at the time I argued a 'horses for courses' attitude re using Kyogo & GG. That said, those sorts of games where GG's physicality could come into it would be an asset and potentially hold up play to bring others in, whereas Kyogo's chief weapon has always been his pace and getting in behind. Back in the WGS days this would've made for some partnership, in the big/small roles, a la JVOH & Skippy.

10. BhoyFitz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Song

You need not spell out anything pal. If the boy wanted more money - as was rumoured - he should’ve received it. He’d done enough to justify it.

11. horseshoe

We offered him a new contract and he turned it down, he wanted to match kyogo's wage and guaranteed playing time that he was never going to get.

Tim-Time 1888 and Westlondonscot like this.
  12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I’d agree mate, despite Kyogo being better than him by a distance I think.

We need to outplay teams to work him into a game or hope his movement can get in behind a long pass.

But we can’t get the ball up the pitch easily by passing it up there and having it stick. We need to build the play up to him, passed the strikers press, passed the midfield. And then play him in.

That might be a big ask for some opposition we’ll face, Real last year would be one even though we done it ok for a half hour to 45 mins.

However, the other night wasn’t one of them. We were even in possession and midfield, and Hatate didn’t use the opportunity to we made with our press when it was needed. I put that down to Hatate being erratic as * when he’s not fully fit, and I’m sure he wasn’t the other night btw.

and then going down to 9 men after a poor goal on the brink of half time, and struggling start of second half to recover before the sending offs….

Our midfield and wingers decision making would not have been any different if it was GG there or Kyogo.

We lacked composure for a final pass. Palma looked, well looked like he could do nothing but early days so I’m ignoring that. Maeda doesn’t have that composure at the best of times and I just come to terms that the ones that he pulls off perfectly just be happy bout it and not expect it. He’s useful enough in a lot of other ways to get that grace from me at least.

O’Riley we never worked into space to attempt a final ball, Hatate though, he had chances to and never had the composure. Then the 2nd half happened and it’s impossible by that point. But the sending offs you could probably put down to lack of composure as well. From Holm at least.

Random Review likes this.
  13. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I'd agree with almost all of that; but I'd argue that it's most CL teams not just the Real Madrids. Last year there was only Shakhtar Donetsk who were a similar level to us* and sadly this week's game was probably the easiest game we'll get in the group, given that Feyenoord look weaker than Lazio and Atletico and that they were having to play without a striker.

* infuriatingly, I think we were ever so slightly better even and I do think that failing to win one of those 2 games have to be considered real failures on Ange's part along with the Bodo Glimt tie.

14. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

15. BhoyFitz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Song

Well, if that’s the case, fair enough. A big loss but on that evidence it was his choice.

16. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    I felt that players like kyogo and maeda would have scared teams in Europe coming on at 65 mins. Totally agree on that point.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  17. CountyDownFaithful

Proper striker.

Totally understandable why he left.

Coming towards the later stages of his peak at 29 and needs to be playing week in week out.

No benefit to us in keeping a player against their will.

If Kyogo hadn’t been around, he would have been our number 1 striker for a few seasons.

Boruc17, JML67 and NakamuraTastic like this.
  18. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Could or should we have had a system of playin him and Kyogo together in certain games? Woulda been interesting to see them playing together up top although it’s obviously few and far between these days

19. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

I've said this before, if he was at celtic at pretty much any other time post Larsson he'd be our main man. Unfortunate for him that we landed on Kyogo in the same window.

Liam Scales likes this.
  20. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Wish we still had him but close to impossible to keep two high quality strikers happy at Celtic at the same time. Especially now when the modern game only play 1 striker.