1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

For once, I'm pleasantly surprised by the boards ambition...(Maybe spoke too soon)

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The Thumb, Jul 10, 2019.

Discuss For once, I'm pleasantly surprised by the boards ambition...(Maybe spoke too soon) in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. mairilouise

We have done the bare minimum required for the last few years and that has been enough to see us achieve 8IAR but I just feel that if we don't go get a few more quality additions for the 1st team and not projects, then we could quite easily be stopped this year. The team has gone stale and we need to freshen it up and not take any chances. The money is there, spend it.

ddub11 and Cringer67 like this.
  2. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Theres also the money from the champions league run from the season before.

Im sure only £4-5m of the Edouard money was paid up front with the rest in instalments, id imagine appearances, goals and team performance.

Murph-E likes this.
  3. wd2oo3 Gold Member Gold Member

The easily be stopped comment imo is in line with the Aberdeen are a serious threat patter.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  4. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    It was a £9m fee all fees are mainly paid ininstallments the full fee is included for account purposes etc

5. ddub11

Its the same practice just different figures,the hun are not spending the same amounts as english clubs so dont need the type of income english clubs need.
    As you said hun are getting loans and investment based on their planned income.Of course it could all go wrong but they have been there before and i dont belief they will be going bust if they have a bad run in europe

It remains to be seen how things go but they are supposed to have the biggest squad in scotland which from a playing point of view can only be good and could be the difference between them having a good or bad season but on the flip side they have to pay these players and if they have a poor europe they could be in a hole.

There is still time for us to add to our squad and with a bit of luck we will ,and it wont matter what hun do but if we dont we may look back on this season and as ourselves why did we not pump the money in and blow hun out of the water.

6. wulliebad

I think if we cant get into a winning position with this windows signings then the league is lost.....every window we are poor and winter windows and even worse......we will power into * all.

mairilouise likes this.
  7. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I have watched him, heres what I said when watching him over 3 months ago...

Then seeing him again after that I just thought the guys not a football player. I don't know what you seen of him that you thought otherwise but personally i'd be surprised if he even carved out a career in our League.

I dont see how the assessment of Helander is bizarre?

You can judge players on any amount of games, some guys just don't have any skill or quality about them or you can just tell the way they move or control a ball isnt the best.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  8. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside

100% this, I remember when that * * hole Louden had scaffolding with a banner saying 10 in a row party.

There was no pressure on Celtic at the time cause everyone was saying they will do the 10 cause if the team they had, we went about our business and even after that opening game loss to Hibs when Larson caused the last goal.

We can never ever underestimate them zombie *. They will try and do anything to stop us getting the 10, it feels like our board is * assisting them.

Garrymac1888 likes this.
  9. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    It’s mostly for this reason I’m delighted we’ve got Lenny in. Just can’t see him allowing that sort of behaviour in and we have a manager that’s fighting for his own legacy at this club.

The man who started the ten, was our captain, was a crucial part of a team to go to a European final, who made an instant impact coming back as a coach when we were struggling and going on to win 3 in a row under WGS, who was the first man to captain us through to the last 16....

There’s a thousand more moments for Lenny that cements him as a legend.

He’ll no if he * this up he’ll be remembered as the man who dropped the 10 for us. He’s got more on the line than anyone.

10. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    In hindsight though their team weren't very good.

Goram(34), Gough(35), McCall(32), McCoist(35), Durie(32) playing most of their games - Goram and McCoist were fat *. Gazza and Laudrup were done also even though they were only 30 and 28 they never really kicked a ball after the 1996-97 season. Cleland who was only 27 also played 41 games for them that season left them and played under 40 games in the rest of his career before retiring.

They were an over the hill team with guys at really the end of their careers, those 7/8 mentioned above could all have retired after that season.

They only really had 3 good prime players, Gattuso mostly playing at right back, Albertz and Negri. Even then Negri also could have retired in the December of that season as he never kicked a ball again either. So they really had two good player, one very good in Albertz mixed with old players and guys who never turned up (Laudrup, Gascoigne).

We never beat them cause they were too relaxed, it's cause 70% of their team was over the hill and on their knees.

Murph-E and Garrymac1888 like this.
  11. Whoflungdung

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ryan Christie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SOldiers song
    Very well put mate 100% spot on

12. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I'm fairly sanguine regarding the business the Club has done, in fact I'm quite positive about the players we've acquired so far. However, I thought we would have had an RB lined up and brought in early and the fact that we haven't makes me wonder about the scouting and recruitment departments.
    Lennon has said more than once that there is plenty going on behind the scenes and that we can compete with Championship wages and fees. We're only about half way through the window so I'm not going to panic...yet...

13. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Agree with all this Dev. He needs to be given a hand though.

He will have outlined what he wanted to the board and asked them to make it happen, the fact that he referenced that we need 2 RBs in an interview yet we're over 3 weeks and 6 games into our pre-season and haven't signed 1 is pretty damning.

I said it when Lennon was announced as permanent manager and a lot were unhappy but I still believe it, if we back him and get the players he's looking for then he'll deliver us success. I don't doubt that at all.

If we keep dragging out deals, missing out on targets and leave him with an under-strength squad to pick from then we're not being fair on a guy that has put his head on a chopping block by taking on the task of delivering 10 in a row.

The time for excuses is over. Just deliver.

14. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

We'll agree to disagree on this one buddy, they had a team full of internationals like Thern, Bjorklund, Porrini and Amoruso, maybe Numan too but I'll need to check that, as well as the ones you mentioned.

I'm not complaining, it was the best day of my Celtic supporting life, I'm just frustrated we have taken our foot off their throats.

Edit....apologies Numan was the following season.

15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    100% agree but I do think the boards trying this time round, I think that’s a key difference. I’ve faith this summer, setting myself up for a fall putting faith in the board but it feels like we are actually backing a manager, we’ve spent £11m already and that’s more than many suspected for the full summer.

Fingers crossed mate because I * agree with everything you say and feel like I’m being naive as * by trusting our weasels in charge but there you go :56:

Seán Mac D likes this.
  16. James Gold Member Gold Member

It's mental how much more relaxed the place would be if we signed a decent right back

Liam Scales and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  17. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside

You are right they had all them players you have said as well.

Garrymac1888 likes this.
  18. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Wish I could give this more than one like.

Seán Mac D and Liam Scales like this.
  19. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Don’t think Numan was there sure he was Advocaat first or 2nd signing

Garrymac1888 likes this.
  20. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    704CEBE7-7BC1-497A-8C96-3646D59F609E.jpeg D76822A9-79AD-4D53-98D0-775F22883B15.jpeg
    The majority of a fee is normally paid up front. As in the case with edouard and what celtic are holding out for.