1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Spoiler Alert] Film reviews and ratings

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by Fancy Pants, Apr 1, 2009.

Discuss Film reviews and ratings in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. stew37

Pretty sure I saw Dead Poets Society before Good Will Hunting but they're both brilliant, and he's the standout in each.

Sean Daleer likes this.
  2. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

That was the other movie I was thinking of. Couldn't mind what came first haha

stew37 likes this.
  3. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I just checked. It's not even close. Dead Poets about a decade before lol.

My brain is mush these days.

stew37 likes this.
  4. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Deservedly won an Oscar for GWH... although it was a 90's Miramax movie, so let's just say he may've had some help from big Harvey in getting that. It worked for Affleck & Damon for the same movie, with their Best Orig Screenplay Oscar.

Can think of at least 2 he had done before GWH... Dead Poet's Society & Awakenings, and he was good in both of those also, esp DPS, while Robert DeNiro has the more to do in Awakenings, Williams has a more subtle role, would recommend them both if you're looking for the more dramatic side of Williams... also What Dreams May Come, Being Human, and esp One Hour Photo and Insomnia.

Sean Daleer likes this.
  5. stew37

Aye Dead Poets Society is from 89, mental. Ethan Hawke was 18 in that film.

Sean Daleer likes this.
  6. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I think you are doing Williams performance and Damon and Afflecks screenplay a disservice there. They all deserved their Oscars whether Weinstein had a hand in it or not.

Edit.
    Let's skip by the fact you said Williams deserved his Oscar lol.

Please? :giggle1:

Taz likes this.
  7. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Oh, not at all. I literally said that Williams deservedly won an Oscar for his performance in GWH, but the behind-the-scenes politicing and glad-handing, pushing it et al is what I was referring to regarding having a helping hand there. Not just for Williams' benefit but more for the prestige and box office, and by extension Mirimax as a studio.

As for Affleck and Damon, however, there is no doubt they had a LOT of helping hands long before the script was remotelt close to being complete. It did originate with Damon at Harvard with some scenes but it was far from complete before it was already being doctored by the likes of Rob Reiner and Kevin Smith long before it was optioned, first by Castle Rock and then by Miramax, which brought Harvey Weinstein into the scene and his sphere of... influence... let's just say they had a LOT of help in getting them the award.

I would also say that the other nominees (let alone those that were snubbed outright) were at least just as well written (if not better), but there was a vested interest in promoting 2 stars in the making over yet another reaffirmation of Woody Allen, As Good As It Gets would end up with the 2 big acting awards so didnt need this also, but Paul Thomas Anderson was definitely most robbed here for Boogie Nights, (Full Monty was always the longshot there). Sadly, awards are not always about rewarding what is actually the best but was a launchpad for Affleck and Damon in the business and it succeeded.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
    Sean Daleer likes this.
  8. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Yeah I edited my post About Williams.

I had no idea About the lads screenplay getting the treatment so much.

Taz likes this.
  9. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I really like Ben Affleck. Think he directed Gone baby gone. Which was excellent. More than decent adaption from the book. Excellent in the accountant and finding the way back as well

10. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Babylon

This was fan-*-tastic! I know it's 2023 but it was made last year and as far as I'm concerned easily in the top 3 of the year and will need to sit through it again to definitively decide where it belongs! It really is that good.

All of the anarchism of the silent and pre-code roaring 20's era is on full throttle display contrasting with the coming to grips with the 'talkies' era and the imposed morality of the early 30's and the vaneer of respectability still beats the heart of the hedonism and nihilism of the age to it's death rattle.

There are more than a few unforgettable scenes, the acting is terrific, with special mentions for Diego Calva, who is top, top notch as Manny, Margot Robbie's iconic and quintessential flapper, Nellie is cranked all the way up to an 11 and an absolute force of nature, Brad Pitt has some of the best and most memorable scenes that he has done in years - and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

What more can I say - I already know this is a movie I will be sitting through many more times over the years to come. I'm seriously that blown away by this. I tend not to give ratings but this is a total 10/10 for mine, no question.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  11. stew37

He seemed to be a bit of a target for people, think some of it originated from when he was originally with Jennifer Lopez and was in films like Gigli, but I've always liked him and he's been in some great films.

Some of the cheesier stuff like Armageddon and Pearl Harbour was at least watchable, but stuff like Good Will Hunting, Finding the Way Back and Gone Girl were all excellent I thought. Changing Lanes wasn't terrible either.

I haven't got round to Argo but that's been recommended to me so is on my list.

Boiler Room is another one with him which I love. He's not got a massive part but he's good in it.

KRS-1888 and Jacob knows like this.
  12. TheHappyLoss

Became a great straight actor. Was outstanding in One hour Photo and Boulevard

Sean Daleer likes this.
  13. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    The Fabelmans

Just home from this. Was solid, although undoubtedly self-indulgent on Spielberg's part - tbh although it may be one of, if not, the most personal of his movies (even his pre-amble before the film admited this), it's well down the pecking order of his filmography for mine.

Some good performances mixed in with some that felt a bit off, incl Michelle Williams. Paul Dano handled the complexity of his character well, and the David Lynch cameo as John Ford at the end was a great point to end the movie on (just about), left me with a smile on my way out of the theatre.

14. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

‘Close Encounters of the Third Kind’ (1977) - quality alien film,it’s like E.T for grown ups.

15. carraigbhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Just watching All quiet on the western front, the 2022 German version, delighted its on my Mag box for free

16. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

‘The Town’ is a class film that he helped to write and produced,as well as starred in...about Irish-American bank robbers in Boston..should check it out if you haven’t watched it before.

neilly1987 and stew37 like this.
  17. Zanderama

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ALL OF THEM!!!!
    Just watched that too, it's pretty good. Especially that tank scene. The German film critics weren't too happy about the film though, some asking if the director had even read the book haha

carraigbhoy likes this.
  18. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    And they've got a point, because, 2 or 3 scenes aside and the names of the characters (of whom only Paul and Kat are really true to how they are in the book), it really does bear little resemblence to the book - let alone play fast and loose with some historical facts. Doesn't make some of the depictions of the battle scenes any less haunting and the movie is absolutely worth checking out and one of the better ones of 2022, but to say it is anything but a very loose adaptation would be just plain false.

Zanderama likes this.
  19. Zanderama

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ALL OF THEM!!!!
    I think the ending had something to do with the Germans criticism too. Cant give any spoilers but the name of the book is from what happens at the end. But the film done a different, more Hollywood take. Apparently. I've never read the book, but read into it after hearing it was up for loads of awards, and why German film critics were slating it

20. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Not looking good for Antman and the Wasp Quantumania. Really poor reviews.

Marvel really struggling to get a hold here. With James Gunn moving over to take charge of DC, huge change for DC to start fighting back. The Flash trailer looked * insane.