1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Spoiler Alert] Film reviews and ratings

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by Fancy Pants, Apr 1, 2009.

Discuss Film reviews and ratings in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    I lasted 50mins, what alot of *

Sent from my M2007J17G using Tapatalk

2. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Spiderman: Far From Home

Finally got round to watching it. Pretty good film. The twist with Mysterio was quite clever, never knew his comic background so it took me by surprise. Still probably prefer Homecoming, but both are good.

Into the Spiderverse

I’d say this is my favourite of the most recent Spiderman films (haven’t seen No Way Home). Great art style, very funny and such an interesting concept. Wish Nic Cage was in it more, though.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Decent but nothing more. Didn’t feel like it had the usual, top class dialogue as frequently as some of his other films. Felt like very little happened for most of the film. Last 10 mins or so were mental but overall I wasn’t a massive fan. Definitely one of his weakest films.

Oh and the feet shots. I know it’s well known Tarantino has a foot fetish but it was insane in this film. Felt like every other scene someone was walking barefoot.

3. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Into the Spider-Verse was incredible but Far From Home was genuinely one of the worst films I’ve ever seen.

Wasn’t shocked they brought back Maguire and Garfield after that. Basically needed to somehow save the series if they wanted Holland to lead the MCU in the future.

4. scootz

The Green Knight

It got stellar review from the critics - won lots of critic polls for best movie of 2021.

I thought it was awful. Painfully slow and boring. I didn't make it to the end.

TBH, I half expected the main character to chance across The Black Knight from Monty Python and The Holy Grail... I may have kept watching had this happened!

5. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Agree about Into Spiderverse, but yeah, after that it was kind of inevitible that the MCU would try to pinch that idea but I struggled to follow the third act of No Way Home. But that is just me, and no fear they won't be changing Tom Holland any time soon. They've already greenlit another Holland Spiderman trilogy, and considering the box office takings its no surprised. Top 3 all time for an opening weekend (not adjusted for inflation etc) speaks for itself.

Disney doesn't care about good movie making/story telling, they only care about the $$$.

6. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Spider-Verse was genuinely a great film for me. Complete game changer for animated films. I’ve never been a fan of the MCU so I’m not invested in it but Far From Home was so bad man… like one of the worst films I’ve ever seen.

Which is why I prefer the DC films. They’re more hit and miss but when they hit they’re genuinely top tier films.

Gutted that Disney now have the X-Men films as well. It’ll just be same old same old and no more films like Days of Futures Past or Logan.

Would prefer more films like Joker. Low budget self contained character films than big blockbusters.

7. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I'm not a big fan of the big blockbusters either, @Valhalla but I feel obliged to sit through them at some point. TBH there is a lot of the MCU & DC I've not sat through and not sure ever will, lol. That said, that is where Hollywood is heading more into these than doing the low budget films as there is less risk involved with built in fanbases etc compared to actually having to rely on creating original ideas and matching them with good story telling etc. Shame, but that's the business right now.

Although do get the feeling that since Avengers Endgame that the MCU juggernaut is beginning to lose it's grip.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2021
    Valhalla likes this.
  8. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Outside of stuff like A24 it definitely feels like television is where people are going for great storytelling and ‘cinema’ is just about regurgitating IP’s and printing money…

Taz likes this.
  9. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Was Mckenzie the wee lassie in leave no trace? If it is, I thought she was unbelievable in that. Couple of phenomenal scenes

Taz, Officer Doofy and Valhalla like this.
  10. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Aye mate.

Ben Foster is one of the best actors around for me and she went scene for scene with him.

Jacob knows and Taz like this.
  11. stew37

The Last Duel - 7/10 Pretty good, Adam Driver decent in it. Quite long but worth a watch.

Dalbeth3 and Taz like this.
  12. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

It's the exact sort of film that's made for critics who are up their own *. The film was fine but nothing more. Agree about it being so slow and boring.

Agree with Valhalla and Taz in regards to blockbusters usually being pish, but on the other hand there's more and more of these types of films being made that seem to forget that films are meant to be entertaining first and foremost.

scootz likes this.
  13. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Don't think Foster gets anywhere near the recognition he deserves, but he was very good in 3:10 to Yuma, * or High Water (TBH pretty much everyone was in that) and also w as perfectly cast as Lance Armstrong in The Program. One of my favourite guilty pleasure comedies is Big Trouble and think I must've sat through that about 20 times over the years before realized he is Tim Allen's teenage son in that.:56:

Valhalla likes this.
  14. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    He was incredible in * or High Water. First thing I think I seen him in was The Punisher as a mad Goth who got tortured :giggle1:

Would love him to do a villain role in the upcoming Matt Reeves Batman films.

Jacob knows and scootz like this.
  15. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

'Don't Look Up' (2021) - heavy quality.

muaythai postie likes this.
  16. scootz

Foster was outstanding in HoHW, and Leave No Trace.

One of those supreme actors who almost fly under the radar... Paul Dano, Sam Rockwell, Guy Pearce, JK Simmons - jeez, we could have a whole thread on these types of guys!

Taz and Valhalla like this.
  17. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Michael Shannon, Forest Whitaker.

Lucas Hedges as an up and comer as well.

18. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Think I'll be watching Prisoners,Green Mile,L.A. Confidential and Whiplash now

Slaw, Graeme1888 and scootz like this.
  19. muaythai postie

Fav Celtic Player:
    lubo
    You just know the way the world is just now that's how the human race would react....oh look we're all going to die when that big comet hits earth....yes but could we make money from it???

Wllm and KRS-1888 like this.
  20. Mr. Slippyfist

Should rename it “Don’t look at this”

Absolute pish - would have worked far better as a serious film, Dicaprio and Lawrence were good, the bits were Streep and the wee fat guy were trying to be funny were just cringey as * typical * american comedy pish

cas79 and trackebhoy like this.