1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Favourite whiskey/whisky

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by KhingLarsson, Apr 3, 2011.

Discuss Favourite whiskey/whisky in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. elbhoydo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Not mad on whiskey at all but I got a bottle of 10 year old Glengoyne as a leaving gift from an old job(2010) which I quite liked as wasn't harsh at all. After that I got a 14yo bottle(2015). Still half full after having it for years haha. From sherry casks I believe, not a fan of those strong peaty types.

2. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I’m well and truly aff the stuff.

Even a wee nip after I’ve been on the beers sends me doolally.

3. jj81

Some islay bhannahahahahhininnana lethal *, I hate whisky tae, just needed time oot fae the maw in law so grabbed that and went for a *.

4. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    A radical suggestion I know, but maybe have either the beers or whisky and not both...

5. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

You are a genius.

6. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Here, this stuff is pretty addictive

Doogs. and Lupis like this.
  7. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Yeah, you start off with one or two, then the next thing you know you have 50+ bottles kicking around and a list of ones to buy as long as your arm!

Marty McFly likes this.
  8. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Got myself a Glenfiddich and I'm firing through it.

Worked out I enjoy it most just with a couple tiny drops of water in it. So easy to just sit at night nursing a couple of glasses, and that's plenty. As you mentioned it's not drank for the purpose of getting drunk. I will stick to the lager or Guinness for that.

Have a Glenmorangie on its way from Amazon now, and my wish list is growing!

Doogs. and Lupis like this.
  9. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Glad you are enjoying the Glenfiddich. A couple of suggestions for you, not about specific whiskies just some things to try to see if you get more out of the experience.

if you are planning on having a couple of glasses of a particular whisky one night try adding a fair bit more water to one of them a bit at a time. Add a little, leave it for a bit to settle and then nose and sip it. Then contrast it to one without water, or with the normal amount of water you'd add. It'sjust to see what differences you pick up. Then add a little more and repeat.

Then when you get a bottle of something else pour a wee glass of each then alternate nosing and tasting to see what the differences between them are. You'll likely be surprised how different they appear when comparing them side by side, where if you were having them individually, on different nights, you might have sworn blind they were very similar.

No worries if you'd rather just sip and enjoy them normally, as you have been, it's just an idea that might make it a bit more interesting for you.

Doogs. and Marty McFly like this.
  10. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Moderation is key to enjoyment, sip and savour rather than just neck it to get *. :50: :67: :60:

Lupis and Marty McFly like this.
  11. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Sorry, I actually missed your post somehow until now. One thing for those not familiar with the Lagavulin distillers edition to bear in mind, if you do decide to get it, is that it is a batch product, so it can change flavour quite a bit year on year. Whereas the normal lagavulin 16 they blend to try and keep it as close as they can to the same flavour every year. Basically some bottling years of the D.E. are better than others, so if you find one you like make sure to keep a note of the year and try to find that one again if you are getting another, if you can still get it.

I still have a couple left I've not got around to opening yet, one was bottled in 2012 the other 2013. Should be interesting to compare them to the current version at some point.

12. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    If anyone is interested Amazon have Glengoyne 10 year old for £24 and Wild Turkey 101 for £23 at the moment. Both are pretty good value at those prices.

Beware the WT101 though, it is a higher abv than most people are used to at 50.5% (most whiskies come in at 40-43%), so if you haven't tried it before tread lightly at first. I think I've become desensitized to higher ABV whiskies, so I don't notice it, but I sometimes forget to warn people that aren't used to it and, well, let's just say they struggle. Having said that it is, in my opinion, pretty * tasty for the price.

13. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Enjoying the Glenmorangie. I'm not all that clued up on aromas and tastes but would I sound stupid if if I said it's "creamier" or is the word smoother? than Glenfiddich?

Tbh I can't really explain the differences I feel between them at this point but I can notice some.

14. scootz

Love the Islay malts.

Pick of the crop (for me) is Lagavulin. It's like nothing else!

Fontaine likes this.
  15. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Taste and smell are so subjective it is whatever you experience it to be. Creamier would be a better descriptor if you are talking to someone that is into their whisky. Smooth is frowned upon by some of the more snobbish types as it's often used by new people into their whisky as basically meaning there is little to no alcohol burn. Where creamy could cover things like vanilla, which you get from the barrels through compounds called vanillins, especially from new oak barrels or ex bourbon barrels.

Marty McFly likes this.
  16. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Ah cool :50:

Yeah vanilla would make sense then as creamier on my tongue was definitely one of my first thoughts. There is definitely a burn too though.

It's weird, sometimes I feel the burn in the gulp differently, there are times it goes down and feels great. Then times when it's like "oooft ahh".

17. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    There's also what is known in the whisky community as "mouth feel" which is exactly what it sounds like. So if you are talking about creamier as a texture type thing rather than an actual flavour that is also perfctly valid. Oily and waxy are others. You'll usually be more likely to find those kind of things in whiskies that say they are un-chill filtered. Clynelish 14 is a classic example of an oily whisky for example.

If you are genuinely interested in this stuff google whisky flavour wheel. It might give you some hints as to what you are experiencing when you can't quite put your finger on anything specific.

Marty McFly likes this.
  18. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

When you taste a whisky you can swirl it around in your mouth before swallowing, this gives you the full mouthful experience, allowing all the flavours to hit the taste buds, usually goes down extra smoothly when you swallow.

Sometimes when you pour a glass, the first few sips can have a feeling of burn, thereafter it will taste smoother as your taste buds acclimatize themeselves to that particular whisky.

Another thing you should do is when you pour a glass don't drink it straight away, try and let it sit for at least 5 mins before drinking, just allows the whisky time to open up a little when going from bottle to glass.

You will even notice a difference in taste in the same bottle of whisky from when it's first opened to when it's near the finish, the air/whisky ratio within the bottle can affect the taste.

Paddo and Marty McFly like this.
  19. Paddo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik The King
    Fav Celtic Song:
    WILLIE MALEY
    :50:
    True for many things.

Looks like the ancient Irish monks who invented and named Uisce beatha (Whiskey) 'Water of Life', knew something about fire water.

Recently reading a large scale study of studies, was not surprised to find the general conclusion suggest that a daily small tipple was likely of some overall health for most adults, but was amazed to read it can generally be of more overall health benefit than not having one!
    This is in terms of the reduction in risk of stroke and heart attacks, quite significantly so if true.
    But
    dosis sola facit venenum
    Like most things it's taking the pish that causes the complete reverse.

Noted that the barrel peat smoked whiskeys are much more likely to be carcinogenic even at small doses.

So the old Irish pot still not peat smoked style have a edge if taken for health.

Marty McFly and The Dude like this.
  20. HenriksRightBoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Enjoying a wee dram of Tomintoul Peaty Tang at the moment. Not on my top 10 list, but quite reliable, and good value for money as well. Cheers!

Marty McFly likes this.