1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

F1 Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Tulf, Jan 10, 2012.

Discuss F1 Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Onefootwonder

That was not a legitimate pass. He went far too deep into the corner and forced Hamilton to take avoiding action. Hamilton was pushed off the track.

2. Lavender Gooms

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    So that means that making the apex and then staying within the white lines of the track now means it's not a legitimate pass?

Big els likes this.
  3. Onefootwonder

It's not relevant to what happened. Neither is the thought that his tyres might have gone off. Judge what actually happened and how it panned out.

4. Lavender Gooms

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    What happened was that Verstappen was the first car across the line, therefore he became the champion.

Whether or not Hamilton was 'going' to win, doesn't mean that he's going to win it

5. scootz

I didn't say there was - I just said that Max had shown his hand - he wasn't going to play nice, so Merc were never going to want Lewis to have to drive round him! Max would have been perfectly happy with a coming together... but it would have been a disaster for LH.

That said, Max's move on the first lap was still controversial. Lewis was the first driver to turn his wheel into the corner, and he had to take evasive action to avoid the collision. F1 has etiquette - you can't just barrel into the apex of a corner, slam on your anchors to remain within the track limits and force the leading car to take evasive action. There was never an argument for LH giving the place back to Max. What I would say though is that there was an argument that perhaps LH should have lifted after rejoining the track and allowed Max to close the gap a bit as he did get a time advantage by missing the turn.

In the final analysis of that though, it made not a jot of difference - LH was massively faster at that stage of the race, so would have just squirrelled away into the distance again.

6. Onefootwonder

When you are overtaking a car you have to take it into account. You can't say that you've made track limits and that's all that matters. You can't push the other car off the circuit to pass.

Verstappen's lunge was far too late. Hamilton avoided it being an accident. He was pushed off the track.

That has never been a fair pass in Motorsport and never will.

scootz likes this.
  7. Lavender Gooms

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    So why basically all the actual racing drivers shocked that it wasn't given back?

Big els likes this.
  8. scootz

Like who?

9. BigManSmalls

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    It would have been a crime to motorsport to have the last lap of the last race led by a safety car. I think the right call was made.

It's called motor racing Toto

10. Lavender Gooms

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Brundle
    Rosberg
    Button

The only one who was on the fence was Hill

11. Onefootwonder

We all know Verstappen crossed the line first. It's why he crossed the line first that people have issues with.

It wasn't fair at all what happened.

12. Lavender Gooms

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    I don't necessarily think it was fair either. But to change the result wouldn't be fair on Verstappen/Red Bull though

13. Onefootwonder

That isn't what was said.

It was discussed that Hamilton didn't give back the advantage he gained. He came out of the corner with a bigger gap than he went in with. They weren't expecting him to give the position up. It was driving off with a bigger gap that was the issue.

scootz likes this.
  14. scootz

My understanding at the time was that their general consensus appeared to be that LH should have been told to lift and give back some of the advantage that he gained from missing the corner.

Not doubting you though - they may well have formed that opinion - I was concentrating on the racing rather than scrutinising their words. But remember they are a gaggle of ex-racing drivers; they like to harp-on about how they want 'hard-racing', but we know they would be the first to spit the dummy if another driver sent a pass down their inside like Max did to Lewis. The only exception to that may be Brundle - he raced in an era where apex comings together were far more frequent.

15. Big els

Fav Celtic Player:
    Currently: Ajer. Historically: Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I wanna be Edouard
    Jesus!! The amount of panty wetting Lewis fan boys in here!! Haha!!
    He’s been a bell end for years.
    His team predicted race would finish under a SC so did not pit. It didn’t. That decision cost him.
    * him. * reaps what he sows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keano88 and trackebhoy like this.
  16. Sin

I'm actually no Lewis fan.

I was on Skype with my folks back in Scotland and I told them I just started watching it, they asked who I wanted to win and my answer was, "Is there an option were neither of the * win?"

I am a sports fan though and that didn't end as a sport, just a fix.
    They didn't predict it would end behind the SC, they said there was a chance, they also said if they did pit now they would behind Max then, I don't think anyone could predict what happened was going to happen, I know that as it's never happened before.

I think in my small opinion it could have been done much better.
    If they want to finish the race as a race and not behind the SC they should have just started the race without telling the cars in between first and second to overtake.
    The crash had allowed Max to make up over 10 seconds, he would have had a chance, he would have to get by the 4 or 5 cars in front but I would imagine they would have let him past and he would have a few turns to have a go at Lewis.

It would be hard to argue if they had did that instead of just handing the race to Max.

17. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Agree with most, but have to reiterate, Hamilton could have pitted for new tyres if he wanted to.
    It was him/his team choice not to, as they tool the risk/hope that the race would have finished under safety car. That was their risk factor. But they could have pitted, he then would have been behind max and it would have been a single lap shoot out for the pair of them. With Hamilton in the faster car, Hamilton would likely have won that anyway. So yeah, they took that risk to hope for the safety car to finish the race for them.

Other than that, yeah the rules seemed to be bent in allowing only some cars to pass through, that's harsh
    Very harsh.
    It wasn't the first thing he done though.
    Credit to him, he went to max and congratulated him, he got there eventually.

But let's not pretend it was all grace from the chequered flag.
    He never went to park in the 2nd spot with max and Sainz. He also waited it out til the last moment before the interviews to say his congratulations.

I'm actually not that bothered, it was clearly a tough call to accept and anyone in his position would need at least a few moments to gather themselves.
    But it wasn't like he finished the race and went straight to max as the first thing.
    The first thing he done was refuse to park next to the winner. (Not a dig, I get the feeling he would have been going through)

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

18. Sin

I think every single person in that pit lane thought 1 of 2 things would happen.

1. The race would finish behind the SC so why would they ask Lewis to pit.
    2. The race would restart with cars in between 1st and 2nd place, so why would they ask Lewis to pit.

I mean if they followed the rules and let the cars in between 1st and 2nd overtake then they would NORMALLY allow the 3 or 4 cars behind Max to also overtake, then there would not be a lap left to race.

I do get that the guy in charge wanted the race to end as a race, he just made the wrong choice, take the SC out and let them have the last lap race but with the cars in between first and second, it would have still made it a race and exciting and it would have been the fairest way.

Peej and scootz like this.
  19. scootz

I'm not a LH fan.

20. Onefootwonder

I'm also not a Lewis fan. I'll reverse what you said and say it's the people that hate Hamilton that are allowing that to cloud common sense. If you think what happened on Sunday was fair then you don't understand what you've watched.

Hamilton couldn't afford to pit. None of the experts dispute that. If Hamilton pitted Verstappen wouldn't have. Verstappen would have won the race under the safety car as if predicted the race didn't restart. Hamilton couldn't afford to take that risk.

If the race was to be restarted then there was not enough time to give the backmarkers back their lap. Masi confirmed backmarkers would not be given their lap back. If Hamilton pitted Verstappen would be leading and have the backmarkers between himself and Hamilton. Verstappen would have won.

Mercedes knew they had a buffer and not stopping for tyres was 100% the only thing they could do. Nobody could predict the last minute rule breaking of only allowing the cars between Hamilton and Verstappen to pass as there wasn't enough time to correct the entire field. That has never happened before and is against the rules.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021