1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone else feel Deila has been unlucky?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by DJ CJ, Apr 18, 2016.

Discuss Does anyone else feel Deila has been unlucky? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Biggie Smalls

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kris commons
    They lot missed a penalty I'm sure as well, plus our goal was deflected. Talk about unlucky eh. :rolleyes:

2. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony

Maybe I worded that wrong.

I meant that even though we might have gone thorugh that group and may even have won at home against Astra and Dinamo, our performances were poor, really poor.

The point I was trying to get across was that even when he has succeeded in Europe he has gotten lucky. So just like people are saying he might have been 'unlucky', he's also had it go his own way too.

We were definitely unlucky in some of those games you mentioned but I mean how many games where we have lost could we use that as an excuse?:smiley-laughing002: We can't just keep plodding along with Ronny and be content with being 'nearly men'. That would be embarrassing.

We need a guy who knows how to get results and grind them out, no matter who the opposition. Even against the likes of Molde, Legia, Malmo etc I wouldn't consider us the favourites anymore, even when we played them prior to knowing what the outcome was going to be. They have internationals and a couple talented players round about the side, just like we have. There isn't a huge gap. If we don't have a guy who knows how to win in Europe, set a team up and motivate his players, even against those supposed 'lesser' sides, we are in trouble.

Regardless of budgets, forget that. We have more money but what do we spend it on? What do we have to show for it? Kazim Richards? Cartlon Cole? Make a huge difference won't they. :smiley-laughing002:

I was once like you looking for an excuse to defend him but I'm done now. Time for a change. His philosophy is lovely and I believe in it and will still believe in it long after he is gone. It's just not enough though.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2016
  3. Murph-E

The one thing he has been "unlucky" with is being called Manager. I don't believe for a second he's a proper manager at Celtic. He's Head Coach who works with what he's given and does as he's told. The board knew replacing Neil Lennon with a "Head Coach" wouldn't go down well, so they called him "Manager". But Ronny Deila is no manager.

4. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Can I just say that I agree with what you say there. The point I make is that there was no 'base-line' motivation from those players. They started the game shrieking. Nobody took responsibility.

In any day to day employment, people can become demotivated. Likewise can footballers in a run of the mill game. In employment, if your were a central component in a big deal then that should motivate you initially, anyway. If you end up making an * of something, you will likely lose confidence and that is when you require to be perked up mentally.

The point I make is that there was no fight from the offset in that game.

5. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I dont think this is entirely true. Griffiths has always been a goalscorer.

It could be argued on the contrary, that Griffiths may have progressed further under a manager who plays better tacrics and a better formation.

6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He's come on leaps and bounds under Ronny. That's a fact..

7. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Griffiths, Tierney, Bitton, McGregor, Rogic have all progressed under Ronny and markedly progressed at that.

8. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    :50:

The last glimmer of light for me is that performance wise we have been better in my view. Results have been poor but I have seen positive performances which I believe would bode well in the long run.

He will end up leaving, but I don't think I'm prepared for another manager and yet another transition period.

9. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I think regardless of who was in charge, it was a matter of time before Griffiths broke into the team and began scoring goals.
    If Lennon was still in charge it would have been him.

Remember he scored 25 goals for an atrocious Hibs team in the spl and was nominated for the PFA player & young player of the year awards. He was no donkey when he arrived.
    Again, whos to say he couldnt have been far better under a more competent manager?

10. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Neither am I but needs must.

If the choices are the Owen Coyle's of this world then I'd rather keep Deila. However if there is a chance of Moyes, Laudrup, Yakin..someone like that, then we have to take it.

11. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I don't think he has at all. He's always been a goalscorer in this league, under Lennon and at Hibs.

To me he hasn't improved the rest of his game in the slightest.

12. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Fine margins more so than bad luck to be honest.

He has also been lucky in the sense we haven't had serious competition. A decent Rangers side in this league and I would worry how his teams would do in a derby game, it's been proven they simply wouldn't have had the bottle.

I would excuse him for not qualifying for the CL in his first season in charge. This season it was imperative we qualified and he ultimately failed. I've made excuses for him before but the more I have watched of us domestically and in big games I'm not convinced we would have qualified this season with the most settled starting XI on the planet.

Our defence and defence from set pieces this season and especially in Europe was * cringeworthy to watch.

13. Markybhoy

That's how I feel as well.

14. saltire78

Brilliant post! Real nail on the head... they took a low cost, low risk gamble that he'd at worst limp us over the line for 2 years, at best be a blinding success for little outlay.

15. Dr. Frasier Crane

I think the luck has gone against him and us at the worst possible times, with refereeing and missed opportunities costing us quite a few times. Even looking back to Malmo away our disallowed goal that should never have been dosallowed, Ambrose being Ambrose against Fenerbache, the throw in the led to the goal on sunday being given the wrong way plus the open goal etc.There are so many times when i've thought the guy was doomed and it just wouldn't work out for him based on some of the random * on the park, quite a bit of it hasn't really been his fault. It's clear now it's not gonna work out for him here though so time to go.0

16. youngsweet

why are so many plonkers saying ronny has been unlucky or is hard done by. him and that fat head lawwell need to go. get him tae *. hes a rookie manager by a long shot and this establishment need someone alot better than what hes given us. The writing was always on the wall.

17. realshocks

What a great thread. It is filled with level headed, balanced analyses... AYERIGHT

Sent from my B3-A10 using Tapatalk

18. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
  19. Shaun

Last season we went forward. We lost VVD/Denayer and that dented the whole team. Ronny had almost everyone injured at some point. Lenny had the same, he pullled 1st team training away from Lennoxtown to figure out all the injuries, this season we have had inuries and the players tire badly. That is just a suggestion.

In football you become hero to zero, liked and hated. Ronny is a really decent lad but coming into the awful Scottish football setup we have, alien to him, all at the age of 38 years old. Lenny was young but captained us to amazing things, Lenny like many are Celtic men. The job was too big and the barsteward is I think it was going to be very special, we all know the players downed tools on the fans also.

These players are ALL international players, they fail to play a varied, simple 4-5-1 structure, can't pass. Real pity for Ronny, he came here with an idea and a dream, in the end that fine line made it impossible for him to get it right.

Get Lenny secretly agreed and support these guys till the end of the season. Get Lenny in and he will boot * out players and HIS staff

:shamrock:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2016
  20. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    No he has not, clearly his tactics, formation subs and signings. He has been * poor.