1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone else feel Deila has been unlucky?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by DJ CJ, Apr 18, 2016.

Discuss Does anyone else feel Deila has been unlucky? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Antz1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emillio Izaguirre, Joe Ledley, Beram Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    'You'll never walk alone' 'Let the People Sing'
    Yawn.

Lenny had the Huns to compete with in his first season and had to build a brand new team from scratch whereas Ronny inherited a champions league group stage side and has made them progressively worse.

2. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Totally agree. Ability isn't the problem here.

Gordon - Once considered one of the best keepers around and commanded, at the time, one of the biggest fees in history for a goalkeeper. Scottish international.

Lustig - Seasoned international, widely regarded as one of our best players not too long ago.

Sviatchenko - Danish league player of the season.

Mulgrew - Former SPL player of the season.

Tierney - Huge young talent, Scottish international.

Brown - Has put in plenty of colossal performances in a Celtic jersey. An absolute shadow of his former self recently.

Bitton - Touted as the next £10m exit from Celtic Park a few months ago.

Roberts - £12m player

Johansen - Norwegian player of the year 2014. 2014/15 SPL player of the year.

GMS - Ok. He is *.

Griffiths - 37 goals this season. Scottish international.

Are you telling me those * should be * outplayed by the likes of Kenny Miller and Andy * Halliday?

3. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    As I have said, the acid test is our performances in Europe. Our performances under Deila were far superior than under Lennon but the results were not as good.

The 4 matches against Ajax are the evidence for me. Horrendous hoofball up to Samaras in 2013, and if you look at it carefully, we played Ajax off the park twice under Deila. Likewise good performances against CL standard teams like Fenerbache, Red Bull Salzburg and Inter.

4. Maestro 08

The system & style he has us playing is set up for counter attacking football. Counter attacking football for a club that traditionally dominates the ball in most of its games isn't going to work out. At stromsgodset maybe but not here. We've invited the most average of opposition onto us time & again & we're not good enough to cope. He should have adapted his system long ago. His inability to adapt during his time here will be the end of him. It was said to us when he arrived that he was stubborn but now it's just coming across as stupidity.

We wanted attacking creative football and he's got us playing like utter dross. Everyone of our first 11 & every one of our back-up squad are better than what that mob have yet we were outplayed by them. That's on the manager & him alone. I think he's lucky still to be here never mind unlucky.

5. Bunk Moreland

They aren't CL standard teams, if they were they wouldn't have been in the EL :rolleyes:

6. JamesM09

These are good points.

7. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

He's had moments of bad luck. But he's tactically clueless.

8. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Same for Dortmund, Shakhtar Donestk, Man Utd, Liverpool etc then?

9. Celticswede

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Aye, that's why a team like Malmö managed to pump us:rolleyes:

10. Bunk Moreland

Well yes, if they aren't in the CL they're not good enough for it. If they were good enough they would be there.

11. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Pretty much this..

You can't say after almost 2 year's, he's been unlucky..

12. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Results.

Results. Being the key word. Give me results over supposed 'good' performances where we still leaked goals every day of the week.

Our group performances in his first season were not impressive. Astra at home, Dinamo at home, Salzburg at home. I was at all of them and never once felt comfortable in our ability. The away games as well, we should have been beaten by Salzburg and were by Dinamo.

Inter at home was enjoyable but at the end of the day the tie was over there and then. 3 goals conceded at home.

Maribor at home - horrible
    Malmo at home - two goals conceded, tie swung in their favour
    Legia - lets not even go there

This season was just a disaster allround. He can't set us up in Europe. He doesn't know how to. With players like Armstrong and GMS as your 'inside forwards' 'wide attacking midfielders' whatever football manager term you want to use, you cannot set up in a 4-2-3-1 in Europe and hope to beat sides from the continent. We don't have the players.

I know you have always been behind him and at one point I was too, quite firmly. However his time is up.

13. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    He been anything but unlucky. The fact the useless * has kept his job this long shows that.

14. Celticswede

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    We didn't play against teams like Dortmund, Shakhtar, man utd and Liverpool though. We got analy penetrated by * Molde instead

15. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

To be fair, that's not really true in the case of Dortmund. They had a disaster last season which meant they had to be content with the EL, but based on this season they are comfortably a CL team.

16. Haywood Jablomi

He isn't unlucky he's crap. Too many things he said he would do he hasn't and no one gives him a hard time for it..... Fekin Teflon Ron.

17. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lyon, Maccabi Tel Aviv, Astana, BATE Borisov, Dinamo Zagreb were just some of the teams in the CL this year. I would say Dortmund, Liverpool, Shakhtar Donestk are all a couple of levels above the aforementioned.

18. celticdawg

Quite the opposite in fact .....He's been very very lucky that we haven't had a realistic challenge for the league !! Now he walks away with 2 league titles and his reputation still salvageble , and hopefully still employable!!

19. JamesM09

This is a load of *. Deila's performances were * in Europe. One good home game against Ajax that we lost and a decent comeback against Inter and that's your lot. Salzburg, Astra, Dinamo, Ajax away, Fenerbahce away, Fenerbahce home, Molde home and away.. All of these were NOT better performances than many a Lennon Europe game by any stretch of the imagination.

And I wouldn't start trying to compare Red Bull, Inter and Fenerbahce to the Champions League teams Lennon faced. That's just ridiculous.

Honestly you'd think every game under Lennon was a bore. Every season except his last we were fantastic to watch in plenty of games.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2016
  20. Bunk Moreland

And they will be, next season. :56: