1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Director of Football - Do we want one?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Zander, Feb 13, 2021.

Discuss Director of Football - Do we want one? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Of course.

2. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Dinosaurs who aren’t good enough to manage in the modern game isn’t what we want to overhaul the club no.

3. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Could have the best dof in world but worth * all if the person managing the first team is living in 1996.. a good first team manager should pay his own wages with player development, European success and transfers. Makes what's going on even more flabbergasting

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

The Prof likes this.
  4. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
  5. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Dof has to be young , innovative and loyal to the club ..whatever about managers you need some stability at dof

6. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Just fling everything to get Rangnick in.

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  7. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    No they don’t.

You get someone who can build a structure full of people with the same vision and when someone moves on we’ve already got people ready to step in.

If we have a DOF who’s hes for 5-10 years then they probably aren’t very good at their job.

We need to start employing staff that teams from all over Europe are going to want to try and poach.

8. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Even with a DOF in place, the most important guy at the club is always the manager.

Peej likes this.
  9. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Loyal doesn't mean they have to be here for 20 years or 5 years either

10. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    So why mention loyalty and stability if it’s not about having someone long term?

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Former Bournemouth head of recruitment David Webb is emerging as an option in Celtic’s search for a sporting director.

Webb famously played a key role alongside Eddie Howe as the Cherries achieved promotion into the Premier League in 2015 with signings such as Callum Wilson.

He left his position on the south coast to join Tottenham as their head of elite potential identification, where he worked closely with Mauricio Pochettino and famed administrator Paul Mitchell - who is now at Monaco.

Intriguingly, Howe, who is out of work, has been heavily linked with a move to Celtic to replace under fire Neil Lennon.

Webb has since held the role as Swedish club Ostersunds’ technical director.

His most recent position was in the Championship with Huddersfield where he head of football operations.

Webb’s in depth knowledge of the English, European and Scandinavian market - a region Celtic have traditionally found beneficial for talent - make him an attractive proposition.

During an early role with Crystal Palace, Webb spotted Wilfried Zaha playing for local club Whitehouse Wanderers.

He also played a key role in Tottenham’s decision to sign Heung-min Son from Bayer Leverkusen in 2015.

12. JamesM09

I think the common sense answer to this is there are no guarantees, but Yes Men are difficult to find so it’s unlikely bringing someone into that role wouldn’t at least have reined Lawwell in a bit, as others have said.

Again, I think the argument that, ‘We might get a * one’ or ‘The CEO might get a yes man DOF’ is stupid as * as an argument against a DOF. I shouldn’t need to qualify that when I want a DOF I want a good one that can do the job properly. It’s really not that high an expectation.

The alternative is to let a CEO continue to make unchallenged decisions they are grossly unqualified for, with money and shareholders being their primary drivers and not actual footballing success.

13. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    What do you want from a potential director of football?

14. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I’ve posted several times in this forum, including replying to in this thread.

So again, why mention loyalty and stability if it isn’t about wanting someone there for the long term?

15. JamesM09

Absolutely not. This is a complete misunderstanding of what the role should be, in my opinion.

To me, a director of football should have an understanding of how a modern, first class scouting networks work, so they can set up and run on here. Ideally they would have a network of contacts in football scouting.

They should have a clear understanding of what makes other similarly sized European clubs successful on the field. How they run their youth setups, how they loan players, compete in youth tournaments etc.

They should constantly maintain networks with up and coming managers, always with a succession plan in case a manager leaves or doesn’t work out (which is inevitable). You should be able to ask him who his top 3 manager targets are on any given day. He should be able to tell you who’s breaking through in Germany, Spain etc. A strong knowledge of continental football, in other words.

They should understand modern coaching, the latest developments in fitness and facilities. A manager will naturally have some input to coaching but there should be an infrastructure in place at the club that is maintained by the DOF. Fitness coaching and nutrition shouldn’t be changing dramatically between managers.

Dublin Celt likes this.
  16. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Because that's what the club requires at this moment in time, in my opinion. someone who has a vision and wants to build something with young players that a manager of a similar philosophy will play, that will take time and involve "stability" Simple as that. Maybe your view is different, I respect that, as it's a forum and each to their own.

17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Interesting..

18. Gurru 991

Unfortunately for Celtic if a manager or player excels he becomes a target for the Premier league so continuity is difficult to achieve. A DoF can maintain that continuity by overseeing the youth & transfer policies when managers leave & take their staff with them. The problem obviously is holding on to the DoF.

19. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

The post I replied to claimed that none of what lawell done over the last ten years would have been allowed to happen if we had a DOF. Im simply pointing out that's not necessarily the case, I never mentioned anything about going forward or expressed an opinion on having or not having a Dof.

For what its worth, Im undecided on the matter. In all honesty though, it just sounds like a different term for a manager that delegates training to his coaching staff and would ultimately limit our managerial/ head coach options. Not every manager/ coach will want to work under these circumstances.

IMO we can do all the rejigging we like but nothing will change in how we operate until Desmond is gone. I don't have much confidence in this mckay character either tbh, his comment about being impressed with the vision and people at the club was alarming.

20. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    In all fairness mckay could hardly come and say "the club is run by a bunch of dinosaur old *"