1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Daniel Kelly

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Luis1967, Mar 24, 2022.

Discuss Daniel Kelly in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Buster

First time l seen him was the highlights of his goal. He looks a big lump of a bhoy, what height is he? We could be doing with a bit of muscle in the team. We should be looking at bringing in at least one of the youth into the first team every season

2. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    I don't want to hear about Neil Lennon since the covid season.

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    That’s a big part of another 9 in a row and 5 Trophies of a Quadruple Treble to ignore there.

bhroom likes this.
  4. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I didn’t know about this, him signing a pro-deal in amongst interest from them, especially if it’s been after Doak moved and looks like he made a good decision getting some game time and training first team at 17/18, and been unlucky with an injury to not get even bigger chances like the League Cup there.

He’ll be aware of that obviously, and signing on here, pledging his trust in us and him being rewarded with chances at the first team when he’s been doing well in training (which he must be to get those chances)… we need to keep those chances coming if we believe in his ability. The reaction from BR and JK to his goal though, I think they’re all in for his development looking at that

Hammy89 likes this.
  5. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    He absolutely tarnished his reputation by his * performance and not resigning, in my eyes.

6. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    It would appear it was before Doak left.

Daily Record in 2020.

Celtic have signed highly-rated teenager Daniel Kelly on a pre-professional contract after interest from a host of big clubs.

The 14-year-old had attracted interest from big clubs at home and abroad, with English Premier League sides Liverpool, Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham and Leicester among those showing an interest, alongside Portuguese giants Benfica.

7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That’s more impressive regardless of Doak, that list of clubs, some who he’d get a wage more than our first teamers do.

Fair play to him, hope to * we repay his faith and he makes the most of the talent.

because if it was me, I’d have been off to Benfica, out of us and them, who would you back to make the best of a youngster in the youth team? It’s them hands down, we haven’t done it since Tierney probably. Welsh closest since. Who I think we’ve hindered a bit because he’s reliable cover, to play 10 games or so. When we could have loaned him to some options in Serie A at one point. 20 starts in that league, much better for his career and for us in the future than some fleeting appearances off the bench. We don’t play the long game, short termism.

Hammy89 likes this.
  8. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    If we were better ran, Welsh would've been out on loan for the last couple of seasons.

There's definitely a player in there. You don't get chased by Serie A teams if not.

I hope he can stay fit and we give him the game time that he needs.

But aye, Kelly has stayed with us when those clubs were probably better choices for a youngster. We need to give him game time either at us or out on loan.

I'm desperate for youngsters to come through. We're literally the only club in the world that doesn't use their youth players properly.

Born green and Liam Scales like this.
  9. cammy07

Hope he stays on the fringes this season and gets 5-10 more appearances then next season will really be his big break through.

We’re deep into a title race now and that midfield is still the toughest competition for a place, but no reason why we can’t make use of games like the other night to get him a good run out whilst also resting guys like McGregor and probably to a lesser extent O’Reilly.

10. jafa

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Ironically this week it’s been announced Liverpool have a wage ceiling for young players of £50k per year
    I can’t believe we wouldn’t have offered Doak more than that

11. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman

50k a year? I'm making more than that and all I do is work and play 3 games of 5-a-sides a week

12. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Maybe he went for the opportunities?

10/4 Kemosabe likes this.
  13. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/ Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    I agree, he will have looked at how hard it has been for young players to get a chance in the first team while we have been spending fortunes on absolute junk. A shift in policy to make sure these players get a chance might help youngster see their future with us rather than elsewhere. And might save us £ms on so called gems and projects.

Hammy89 likes this.
  14. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

CELTIC are pushing to tie down teenage midweek goalscorer Daniel Kelly on a new contract.

The 18-year-old midfielder marked a dream Premiership debut against Dundee with a stunning first senior goal in a thumping 7-1 win for Brendan Rodgers’ side.

Out of contract at the end of 2024, Kelly is now attracting strong interest from Bundesliga giants Bayer Leverkusen and RB Leipzig as well as clubs in England.

Celtic have now made contact with the Scottish youngster’s representatives to schedule discussions on a new deal before he becomes free to sign a pre-contract agreement with another club this summer.

The Parkhead club have already been stung by young talents Liam Morrison and Barry Hepburn being snapped up by Bayern Munich.

Kelly is represented by the same agents as Jeremie Frimpong, the right-back who left Celtic for Bundesliga leaders Leverkusen in an £11.75million deal in 2021.

Kelly joined Celtic’s system at the age of eight. Tipped to join the growing list of hot prospects to emerge from Scottish football, Celtic boss Rodgers spoke of his admiration for the youngster after the rout of Dundee on Wednesday.

‘He’s a young player that I’ve loved working with since I came back,’ said the Northern Irishman.

‘He came with us on pre-season to Portugal and he has this incredible attitude. He’s 17 years of age and you can see physically how developed he is - his power, his speed, his touch.

‘He is only going to get better and part of the idea and strategy here is to allow these young players to come in and develop. The squad is so big that sometimes the younger players get left to the side.

‘He’s an example that, when there is room for them to come in and train with you, you’ll see the rewards from that.

‘Him and Rocca Vata have been training. Rocco maybe hasn’t had the game time so much but he’s been equally as impressive

Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
    Hammy89 likes this.
  15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    A year? Not a chance he’s on less than £50k a year down there. Might be youth, youth guys, not on pro contracts. Not guys like Doak they’ve poached.

Hammy89 likes this.
  16. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Delighted.

I want to see more of him.

17. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    If we really wanted to keep Doak we could well have offered 5 - 10 times that amount. Would still be dwarfed by what he's getting at Liverpool I'd assume. Basically development players get * all until we realise we aren't going to can them. Then it's very decent money from the point we think we need them.

If the number you are quoting is accurate and not completely made up wouldn't surprise me if the figure you are quoting is for the Liverpool apprentices between 14 - 16 years of age.

Gamboa was getting £16k a week years ago - which still amazes me.

18. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I'm starting to think 12pm on Sunday might actually work. We've got Barnardo in the wings if needed and I'm always banging on about giving development players a chance, so even with the stakes given how well he did I'd love to see that.

19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Calmac being out and going to Tynecastle, a very difficult place to go, we’ll see how much the management rate him.

I’d start Bernardo, but if Kelly starts, its a massive show of faith and an exceptional chance and a massive show of faith in him.

But then… if he doesn’t do well, it could be a career derailed as well. I’d rather Bernardo but he’s on the periphery and the first option from the bench at that point

20. Guchi Gucci Gold Member Gold Member

Huge call if we play him Sunday. Probably unnecessary if Bernardo on the bench.