1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Daizen Maeda

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Dec 31, 2021.

Discuss Daizen Maeda in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. EKCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    I like Maeda, but the jury is defo out now. Can run all day and night, doesn't matter though if your touch and cross are pathetic the majority of the time.

2. celtic warrior

If we need a more direct brute force style than Maeda and Giakoumakis is best way to go.

Maeda and Kyogo can't start together if we are looking to play a more fluid passing game.

3. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    He's a strange player. Don't think he's a winger, but don't think he's a striker.

I agreed with a comment on the previous page about us needing a left footer on that side with some good delivery to compliment what we have.

Noskeil likes this.
  4. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    This happened last season when he went missing in a few games.

For me he is an enigma, he will cover every position up top with no clear position of favour and will play for the team.

His work rate is unbelievable and at times he can be unplayable.

Other times the game passes him by, thing is he will make a difference in games and for me more of an impact player coming off the bench.

Jota shouldn’t be moved to accommodate him and Ange needs to see this pronto.

5. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Personally think his best position is through the middle but he's just not as polished a finisher as Kyogo and GG. Not to mention the other qualities they bring up top.

He'd be immense in a front 2 I think.

6. jvalin

In domestic games against clearly inferior opposition, I'd rather have Jota on the left with Maeda coming off the bench. In european games against superior opposition, I'd rather have Maeda over Jota. I mean, we cannot outclass the top teams in Europe. Our only hope is to outrun them. Maeda never stops running. He's exactly what we need in big european games.

7. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Jota was class in Europe last season, we need our playmakers playing in their best positions to make an impact.

To drop our most creative player would be absolutely pointless and we may as well hand the win to the other side.

Now if you said play Maeda on the right and the bring on Abada after 60 minutes or so then that would make more sense.

8. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Every player sometimes pull off a incredible Samaras-esque performance. Imagine when Maeda will have a field day. Will be nuts. If his crossing and finishing was good he would be a absolute machine.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  9. celtic warrior

I reckon that actually having him a Giakoumakis start against certain European oppositions might be more effective on that stage as Maeda allows an out ball as a target for balls for him to run onto and Giakoumakis would be a physical presence as another outlet to try and hold up play a bit better and let a player who roams like Jota to get involved.

Trying to play our passing game by say having Kyogo, Abada and Jota on the pitch could be where we get undone.

Hate to suggest it but a more rudimentary, direct game with guys like Maeda and Giakoumakis could better suit our European games.

gazb1888 and NakamuraTastic like this.
  10. celtic warrior

I reckon as front 2 Maeda and Giakoumakis domestically would be frightening....if they were strictly a front two that is, playing off each other would be something to watch.

Tbf Kyogo starting with Giakoumakis would be just as dangerous as Kyogo is the more clever in his movements.

Never happening though as fun as it is to think about.

NakamuraTastic and JML67 like this.
  11. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    We are never going to play a front two so that's out the question.

Maeda has his uses, quite clearly. He's just not my type of winger. I like a Jota type or at the least someone like Abada who's delivery can be more pin point delivery and finishing wise.

Think we need another option brought in, to add to what we have.

12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    We played a front two of Dawson and Abada last year :fear:

Mr Shelby likes this.
  13. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Exactly, any combination of the 3 of them would be such a handful for opposition defences. As you and @Mr Shelby say though there's no chance we see it happen.

14. RockhardBoss

Maeda's cross accuracy % is slightly higher than Abada's - Abada just crosses a lot more than Maeda. Maeda's shooting accuracy % is also higher than Abada's.

Celtic's Jota 2.0 is coming... Scottish football should brace itself | Celtic Way

15. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I get that statistically wise he's coming out on top but I'm just judging on what I'm seeing mate.

Abada is 4 years his junior as well. I'd personally have him in the side, but also acknowledge that Maeda suits some games better.

It's not a bad problem to have.

16. celtic warrior

I would agree with you.

I think overall domestically....Jota, Kyogo and Abada is what gets us past * bus parking 13 man defences who just sit in their own half as the trickery and passing between three and obviously the movement of guys like Kyogo and even Abada who's movement is underrated opens up the game better.

In games where...say against the huns, teams are likely to be more in our face and trying to be more attacking, brute force (Giakoumakis), and pace in behind (Maeda) as space opens up on the counter for us would be where Maeda fits in.

I love him (Maeda) but I'm starting to think he's someone who's ability overall is only gonna be useful for about 9 games a season

Mr Shelby likes this.
  17. Dip 'n' Swerve

work on his clinical crosses to add another dimension to his game. abada can also work on his finishing seems to miss a few easy enough chances in games, but that dundee utd goal last year was priceless

18. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Stuffy games like todays don’t suit his high pressing run in behind style. He is more suited to home games and games where teams will come out.

19. Big C

A footballer that’s more effective without the ball, strange concept maybe but I don’t rate him. Work rate is excellent but, surely that’s the least we should expect? Scores a few but should be nowhere near the perceived best 11. A decent squad player.
    I think if he was the only Japanese player on our books he wouldn’t get the leeway he currently receives. I’m not sure why, but I thought he’d be better after a break but his ability on the ball hasn’t changed, maybe Ange can make him better.

20. jambo_cfc

When he plays it severely weakens our left side going forward, a combo of Taylor and maeda isn’t great going forward