1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Daizen Maeda

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Dec 31, 2021.

Discuss Daizen Maeda in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    I think he's played on the left because he's fairly effective going either inside or outside the rightback. On the right, I don't really remember ever seeing him cut inside onto his left foot.

martin_d and JamesM09 like this.
  2. JamesM09

From the left I think he’s good at suddenly switching into the middle and becoming a striker. He can cause panic in the defence by doing that. I’m not sure if he would be as effective on the right but it would be interesting to see.

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

The other day, a player who had returned to Japan off #前田大然 visited the Karigane soccer field and participated in the practice

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Tommy25 and Wllm like this.
  7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Please work on your finishing son..

Makes great runs and all the rest of it's good....even wee flicks over head's today....but when in on goal....he has no composure. Straight over the bar like most when he's free..

The header wasn't as easy but maybe could've done better there as well....although maybe harsh that. The rest isn't though..

8. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Yep, if his finishing was even half decent he’d get crazy numbers. Surprising how poor he is in front of goal.

9. elbhoydo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Great he keeps getting in those dangerous positions but * me he needs help on the training pitch at hitting the target haha.

Dan Breen and Wllm like this.
  10. DJ CJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    He reminds me a lot of Kenny miller.

11. Mr Hoopy

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

12. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Really hope we don’t shift Jota from the left to fit him in this season.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Honestly man, it would it surprise you if any one of Kyogo, Giakoumakis, Abada, Maeda or Jota hit 20 goals next season? Mental

14. paulo123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    If he had composure he would be frightening

15. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He’s going to be an enormous player for us next season, domestically and in Europe.

16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He's * poor as the 9..

Has to be on the wing or fuckall..

AussieGreek and AdamRS like this.
  17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

IT is easy to imagine Daizen Maeda doing quite well as a baseball player had he pursued his other sporting passion. It doesn’t take much to picture the Celtic buzzbomb whizzing round the bases to home plate.

Ironically though, the defensive side of the game was his strength as a youngster, before football took over and he pursued a career that has now taken him all the way to Scotland, and soon, the Champions League.

Baseball remains a passion however for the forward, who watches the sport when seeking an outlet from the pressures of professional football. So, when he was asked what he had seen of the Champions League when he was a youngster in Japan, and if he had dreamed of making it to that level one day, the answer was maybe not what you would expect from your average footballer.

Nothing at all,” Maeda said. “Because I don’t watch football on TV. I only watch baseball on TV.

“Why no football? Because I don’t want to think about football on my days off.

“I like to switch off and shut everything down. I think it is very important to have a different outlet.

“As I’m from Osaka, Hanshin Tigers is my favourite team. I played baseball when I was younger but I enjoyed it more playing football so that is why I followed this path. What was I good at in baseball? Defence!

It’s not only the Champions League I’m looking forward to in the new season. I’m excited to play in the domestic league and the cups, also. I’m looking forward to all of the season and it beginning again.”

Given how little time Maeda has had off in the past year or so, it is understandable why he might want to switch off from football now and again.

He arrived at Celtic in January after a full season in the J-League, and with internationals in the summer after the Scottish Premiership ended, he has had only a limited time to recharge the batteries.

Frighteningly for defenders though, Celtic’s equivalent of the Duracell Bunny has hinted that he hasn’t quite shown just how quick he can be since arriving on these shores, and he is hoping that his pre-season preparations will get him up to full speed.

I’m taking my time because my maximum condition will be ready for the beginning of the season,” he said. “I’m working with my tempo and rhythm to get ready.

“Pre-season has been normal, really. It’s been hard work as always. Last season, I had a really long season. After the season finished with Celtic, I had international matches to be involved in. I then had two weeks of rest and came back here.

“I'm trying to work gradually but also hard to make sure I'm ready.”

Celtic took the latest step in their pre-season preparations with an entertaining 2-2 draw against Blackburn Rovers on Saturday, with some predictable signs of rustiness and sloppiness still evident in their play given the time of year.

Rovers scored within the first couple of minutes after an uncharacteristic error from Callum McGregor, before Jota and David Turnbull pulled Celtic ahead by the interval. Late on though, a slack pass from Yosuke Ideguchi left Chris Jullien with no option but to concede a foul on the edge of the box, and Rovers midfielder Ben Brereton-Diaz hammered it home to level the score.

Despite the defensive lapses that still need to be ironed out, supporters would have left Celtic Park enthused by the quality of attacking play on show, particularly from the likes of Jota, who put on a masterclass on his return to Glasgow as a permanent Celtic player.

Maeda was similarly buoyed by the way that the attacking cogs seemed to be slipping back into gear, and he thinks that the forward line can be an even greater threat in the coming season.

“Every time I make a forward run, I know I will be receiving good passes,” he said. “I really believe in my team-mates and would like to make more goals.

“Do I think that understanding will get better? Well, in general during the last season I felt I built good relations with all my team-mates, especially the attacking players.

“So, yeah, there are still several games before the new season begins so hopefully we can improve even more by the time the competitive football starts again.

“We must create goals, so will try hard to do so.”

Rydo1888*, King Kwon and The Celtbot like this.
  18. oh bhoy

what a terrible thing to say about anybody

19. horseshoe

I really don't know why anyone complains about his finishing still, it's obvious he's never going to be a prolific goalscorer, but with his workrate he'll always get in position to bag some scrappy goals, maybe double figures over a whole season, while creating for others and doing a huge amount of defensive pressing. He's the definition of a team player.

charlietully and thailandceltic like this.
  20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member