1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Craig Gordon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Dáibhí, Jul 3, 2014.

Discuss Craig Gordon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

Tags:
  1. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Clearly you don't watch any of our games then.
    That or Gordon has a lot of dirt on brendan, because he * hoofs it often enough to know that he should do it in a situation like yesterday.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

2. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Its his near posts at tight angles he has a weakness. Otherwise hes qaulity

3. GlenLoovens'LusciousLocks

Fav Celtic Player:
    Loovens the legend
    It's aw fun and games when he does a Cruyff turn in the 6 yard box & the fans give it a big "waheyyyy". Not fun anymore is it? Has always been prone to stupid occurrences like these, and should know better due to his experience. Woeful.

Also, in the second half, a boy whips it in from the left hand side and Gordon is in two minds whether or not to catch the ball and ends up in no man's land. Lucky not to have conceded another. He has to iron this incompetence out of his game, against Bayern or PSG, they will take full advantage of it.

4. clonbhoy

I thought he was poor against Astana. He made one brilliant save, aside of that he seemed to have no control or command of his area. A defence includes a goalkeeper and for twenty minutes we didn't have one.
    As for yesterday's mistake, the attempted pass was obviously calamitous, but what was unacceptable was him standing there looking for offside and not reacting to the play. He should have been trying to redeem himself by making it as difficult as possible to score.
    That was arrogant and nonchalant.

Peej likes this.
  5. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    A massive weakness, and he gets beaten there far too often and easily.
    His distribution is extremely questionable as well. Moving to playing it out from the back has helped hide that, but it is still poor. Also a bit slow in releasing the ball. Combine that with his poor decision making in where to pass the ball out to (throw or kick). Then we have his command of his 6 yard box, any crosses coming in I am still getting the fear that he does not command that area at all. Balls can often come looping in to land on the edge of his 6 yard box, and he dithers on whether to go for it or not - he should go for it.

For me, they are his flaws and we need better for the bigger games. Someone a bit more in command of his box, confident in his own ability, and a bit more natural with the ball at his feet.

6. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Still can't forgive him for this display-

7. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Problem is were not gonna spend £10m on a keeper :56: in our price range everyone will have a flaw. We will need to get a extremly talented youth and put up with fuckups for 2 seasons like forrester before they become better than what we have. Then he'll be off. Cant see anyone bar gordon for the next few years.

Spend the money on roberts. He'd have opened up st johnston yesterday easily. Gordon will save atleast 10 shots a game in the champions league. We'll just need to put up with the really tight angled near post misses.

Random Review likes this.
  8. AJ Styles Moussa Dembele's eyes Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Get Danny Ward even if its just a loan for a season he's too good to be 3rd choice at Liverpool

freitassen likes this.
  9. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Not always, but yeah.

There are players out there better than Gordon for a fair price - would argue some players like Costil, Asenjo, and that sort of level should be looked at - perhaps they will cost a few million, but not ten. Or a free with decent wages. But it is needed. And that's an obvious two off top of our heads, but there is a team of scouts at our club who are paid to go find more of these guys.

For me, we need to sign two keepers - one like we need above and another youth that gets mentored under them and we reduce that 2 year risk of mistakes.

But even if so, I'd always rather see a mistake by a younger player, willing to learn and can be developed and those errors ironed out, than someone near the end of their career who clearly won't get any better at these sort of things.

10. Xatraps Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    No mate I'm lucky & get to watch just about all. And I don't have much recollection of Gordon with ball passed back to his feet punting it past halfway? He generally tries to hit the full backs on the sideline who've pushed on.
    Gordon's got the dirt :):)

11. Xatraps Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    ext.jpg

The near post from an actual keepers perspective.

12. wulliebad

Not passed the half way line but there are a few times he has tried to hoof it to someone on the side lines......i still get the fear when he has the ball at feet and any player that is not in a celtic shirt is move towards him.

Peej likes this.
  13. Xatraps Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I wouldn't class trying to find a teammate on the sideline with a pass as a hoof? I get the nervousness but I'm just think he's not as bombscare as made out.

14. Scottk

For the 5m Chelsea were putting up we could have bought a decent young keeper

Peej likes this.
  15. doctor venglos

Danny Ward is not that good, Gordon is better than him. There is a reason why he is Liverpool's third choice goalkeeper.
    The one we should be going for is Newcastle's Freddie Goodman, the best goalkeeping prospect around in my opinion.

16. freitassen

It's not even as if his only alternative to giving the ball away while trying a fancy side foot pass with his weaker foot was hoofing the ball away.

He could have carried the ball a little longer, moved around the box with it, tried a short pass in a different way.

17. Easter Rd Davie Once a Celt, Always a Celt Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    In The Heat of Lisbon
    Good post, particularly the end bit ..."reading through our players pages here you'd think we're totally * with a whole squad who aren't good enough. People need to reel in their negativity."
    :92::84::ynwacelti

18. freitassen

He is a good shot. Only 24, welsh international, experience at the second best SPL team and a winning Championship side.

19. apevrak

Frankfurt gk Lukas Hradecky is out of contract next summer. He's one of the better keepers in Bundesliga and one who would strengthen our defense significantly. He would likely be one of the highest earners in the club if he come, but worth it if we're having ambitions about reaching the later rounds of an European tournament. Make it happen Lawwell.

20. Mr. Slippyfist

That's odd, I signed him yesterday for Celtic on FM.

I wonder if it's an omen :fear: