1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Coping with Depression, Stress, Anxiety and other Mental Health Illnesses

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Drakhan, Apr 8, 2016.

Discuss Coping with Depression, Stress, Anxiety and other Mental Health Illnesses in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    100% same as me mate!

2. PaddyMcCourt20

I’m no expert mate, but giving yourself a new challenge, however small, can really help. Have you ever thought about learning an instrument, or even a new language?

Getting other parts of the brain going and setting short term goals really help for me.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  3. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Your boy has to be the catalyst for you to get better.

Small changes can all lead to a big improvement. Set short-term goals and test it out for yourself.

Going for a walk each day or a longer walk at the weekend if daily isn't an option, some chill-out time with a book or music, phone call to a friend or family member you've not spoke to in a while, whatever else comes to mind.

Don't isolate yourself and don't put it all to the side without taking any action.

buchanbhoy and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  4. DonnyCelt

Will that just be anxiety do reckon?

5. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Yip I have asked doctor to do all sorts of tests everything negative

6. DonnyCelt

Hope to * its the same for me. If its anxiety then I know I can make it settle down. I do feel anxious all the time now and I never used to be this way.

Lennon1888 and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  7. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I am back in office now and feel a lot better tbh

wd2oo3 and DonnyCelt like this.
  8. packybhoy Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Bhoys I hate to add negativity but the feelings you are explaining in here sounds like you are teetering on the brink of something big. You are only one knock away from a complete meltdown. If it doesn’t happen, great, but the signs are there and you need to remain strong. Keep yourselves surrounded by people who love you, workmates don’t really care mostly.

Your in the storm and it will get worse but remember that no matter how rocky it gets, you will come out the other side a stronger and better person. * knows how or why we end up here but it happens and it is a long road but fight like *. It’s worth it and while it will always be lurking you begin to control it and not it controlling you. @Blochairnbhoy focus on your kids and wife. Evaluate all the good things in your life and then try to cut out the bad things. It takes effort but you can’t continue on how you are now.

9. leeso-ardoyne Lord of the Chickpeas

Have you looked into changing up your diet! You will be hugely surprised when one cuts out all the * and nourishs the body with what it really needs. If your suffering from anxiety and other mental issues, your body is telling you there's definitely something wrong. Toxicity and deficiency are the two main causes for your problems, sort these out and you will be guaranteed to feel better. Easier said then done thou when there's to many distractions around us, especially in these interesting times!

10. DonnyCelt

Currently experiencing a bad bout of depersonalization. The feeling of unreality. I feel as though I am not in control. Everything is whizzing past me and its horrible. Concentrating on anything is so hard.

It's set of heart palpations and my muscles in my arms, legs and my right eye are twitching all the time again.

I feel worthless, hopeless and incredibly emotional. I think so negatively and don't know why or how to change it.

The worst thing is my missus is at work all day tomorrow and my daughter is at school. Dreading being on my own all day with this.

I wish I could get to the bottom of what is making me feel this way.

11. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Hi M8. I can emphasise with what you are going through. My family and I are currently going through a really * time and have been doing so for over a year now. I also feel that I am not in control, have palpitations, panic attacks and, at times, felt like I would be better off not here. I went to the doctor and was put on anti depressants and they did help a bit but it doesn't help deal the root cause of my problems. I have recently tried some deep breathing exercises and mediation which has helped and I have attended a family support group which has also helped so, my advice is to find the help that would benefit you as an individual and just give them a try and, if one thing doesn't work, don't give up and try something else. Here's hoping things get better m8. Stay strong

buchanbhoy likes this.
  12. DonnyCelt

Hi mate. I didn't suffer with my mental health for years and I then suddenly became spooked about not being there for my little girl as she grows up and became fearful of illness and such things. Its so hard to explain the things I think and feel most of the time.

When something triggers in my head, like feeling less in control, that sets off a battle for daysbtrying to regain control and concentration. If that makes sense.

I'm definitely opening up more to my missus about my feelings and worries. I just need to get to the cause of it and find out how to deal with it.

I'm so sorry to here you and your family are having a hard time, I hope everything gets better for you all.

13. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Donny thats same as me mate honestly. My timeline is

Happy childhood and teenage years then wee girl born and i started to feel weird. My gran who brought me up died 12 weeks after my wee girl was born, my gran was my world, she gave me everything, before she died she was delerious and out the game for days and we got a phone call to say she was dying and come to hospital she hadnt spoken for days and when i went up she had direct eye contact on her death bed looked at me and spoke "you will always be my wee boy" first words in days and her last words she waited for me and that was it she died 2 days later, this was the start of my health anxiety and abandonment complex i started to think the same how my gran had left me what if i left my wee girl and boy worrying everything was going go kill me, sore head = brain tumour, sore belly = bowel cancer CBT therapy helped me big time, they are going to be left without you. You go into a cycle and rational thinking goes out the window. Try and identify what was your life event trigger and look at all the positives, it will take time but speak about it, be open and honest and remember someone is always on here to talk to even when lonely.

Hope this resonates with you mate and can help you know you arent the only one and not alone defo look up health anxiety

14. DonnyCelt

The trigger is definitely illness related in some way. I remember seeing my grandma in a hospice in 1997. She had breast cancer and I was told to go and say goodbye to her by my mum 3 days before Christmas. She died during the night in the early hours of the 23rd. I've never seen that as the trigger though because I lived and dealt with that for years with no worries.

Something has triggered in me a reaction of panic when something doesn't feel right or if a part of my body unexpectedly twitches or when I over think things.

I really appreciate yourself and others who have taken the time to message me back. And I know I can get through this. Cheers mate

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  15. Mince.Charming

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/health-anxiety/

Sounds like health anxiety. I had this bad in my late teens/early 20's.
    Managed to get a grip of it through diet and exercise.
    Cutting out sugar, going on a low carb diet.
    Cutting out drinking and cocaine use.
    Can notice it creeping back when I have a hangover etc. Even when I have too much caffeine.
    Tea/coffee.

This was a long process for me and I'm not saying this would work for you mate but if I was in your situation again I'd try anything before tablets.

There is no negatives from eating well and
    exercising
    In my case my body needs to meet certain requirements physically or my mind is over active.
    Sugar has major links to anxiety too by the constantly raising blood sugar and caffeine is liquid cocaine for me. Can have an espresso and feel like I've took a line of the devils dandruff.

Fully87 and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  16. DonnyCelt

I do seem to have these episodes when I'm not working. My job is extremely physically demanding and I find I do not think about any worries when I am at work.

Thank you for the link to the website. I have read through and pretty much all of the symptoms are relevant.

I took a walk earlier today and took some deep breaths and try to just relax and think positively, and I already feel as if the depersonalization has stopped or at the every least started to ease off.

I spoke to my missus on her lunch break today, like I've said in my other post I've started to open up to her more about how I feel sometimes and all, and pretty much said I need her to help me. She without hesitation said "I will always be here to help you."

I feel as though I've made some good progress today and speaking on here has definitely helped me.

17. Mince.Charming

No worries mate. All the best.

18. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    Thinking positively is for me the best way to deal with this. It can be hard to channel your thoughts that way especially when you are hurting the way you are but keep at it.
    It really is beautiful that your wife is there for you like that, it almost brought me to tears. When I first spoke to my ex about depression about 6 years ago she just laughed at me, it killed me and I just ended up drinking myself to oblivion most weekends to try and avoid the pain but we can't hide from this, the only way to overcome is to go through.

It might sound daft but people who suffer like us create negative energy and I believe that is what holds us in that bad place. We need to change our psyche to be more positive.
    Keep the positivity and focus your thoughts and energy on it and day by day it will get better.

buchanbhoy likes this.
  19. Markybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Roamin in the Gloamin
    Has anybody experienced that feeling where you just feel completely broken hearted and you struggle to find a reason to go on?

I'm not talking about like if a family member dies. Obviously that is devastating. I'm talking about living your day to day life and you just reach a point where nothing seems meaningful enough to carry on for. If you've felt that, what made you go on? Question is aimed at people who don't have kids I guess, obviously kids would motivate you to carry on. I don't have kids.

Fully87 likes this.
  20. leeso-ardoyne Lord of the Chickpeas

My kids are the reason why i am the person i am today but if i was to choose another thing if there was another reason why my life is meaningful and to push on, then it would have to be stubborness and a * you attitude to those who want to see me fail at everything in life. This along with bettering myself in everyway possible although one can get lazy and put things off untill Monday and that Monday doesnt come along untill next year haha

Fully87, buchanbhoy and Markybhoy like this.