1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Controversial Celtic Opinions

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Liam Scales, Jul 7, 2021.

Discuss Controversial Celtic Opinions in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

In Europe our expectations have been damaged, of course they have but thats realism based on the past 10 years and also where we're at right now - middle of a rebuild as you mentioned. That's natural.

Plenty of people thought the 10 was a given, just look here last season and you'll see posts claiming the huns are * and we'll stroll it. Wasn't to be and that was a massive shame, particularly the manner of it. But contrary to Europe, domestic expectations have been as high as they've ever been and as a fanbase we'd forgotten what it's like to not always win after doing a quadruple treble. That's where I think we've become entitled and impatient.

Yes, we're Celtic and things will need to improve, after what has been a very poorly managed period for the club, top to bottom, but we have to remember how big a rebuild this is and that things aren't going to just be rosey overnight. We're just barely in October and people are already sharpening their knives. It's quite ridiculous, we need to give this time to work and as I said, it's on us to have some patience with it. It might not work, but * sake we have to give it a chance to breathe.

2. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Expectations are based on past results. If we had a series of pragmatic managers succeed in grinding out results in Europe, we'd start aiming at finishing second in CL groups, after a while.

3. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

What the board have done is a different discussion altogether. I dont think anyone just accepts this season should be a rebuild. Everyone knows ithe decline and mismanagement has and continues to be a shambles and I think 99% of us think there needs to be an overhaul at the top. But fact is, it is a rebuild season and expectations do have to be adjusted based on that. Not for the board but for the team and Ange. People said as much at the start of the season, we seemed united that any manager will need time but as soon as its not going great, the impatience sets in and people go back on the "give him time" chat.

Some of it is actually ridiculous, the smug quips about the manager are the worst of it. This place has been hard to read for weeks,

Yes, we are Celtic but no matter who the manager is this rebuild is massive and anyone needs time. We need to give it.

Liam Scales likes this.
  4. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Think we all probably are separating the two issues (in amongst even all my hyperbole as well), but to what level do we adjust those expectations?

Because languishing 6th seems a bit * far.
    I still expect us to win a league title at the start of a season.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

5. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Aye we're 6th but its 7 games in on a 38 game season. If we're still in a similar position at Christmas then yeah maybe something needs done. But its very early days.

This season I think its a lot to expect a league title. Whether we're Celtic or not we're rebuilding and up against a pretty settled and tough to beat hun side who went unbeaten last season. I expect to be closer and have hopes of winning the league but I don't believe it should be expected in this particular time. Progress under the manager over the next few months is what I personally feel is reasonable to expect

6. James Gold Member Gold Member

This talk of a rebuild is also over hyped as well it sounds good to say but in reality we aren't rebuilding anything the rebuild I was expecting was from top to bottom not just to have a busy transfer window with players coming and going. We appointed a CEO who seemed to have a genuine desire to improve and get away from the jobs for the Bhoys stuff and actually share out the power that lasted all of 2 months and we're not back to square one.

JC Anton and Peej like this.
  7. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Then, with all due respect (and not being a * at all), that's lowering your expectations for this club to a level that is far below what we should be at.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Forza 67 likes this.
  8. Forza 67

Finishing above an average Rangers team is mission impossible according to some on here and shouldn't be expected, gees us peace. What is this new uber fan? The board must be licking their lips.

oh bhoy and Peej like this.
  9. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Maybe try a different sport.

10. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    McKay was found out of his depth based on what I’ve heard.

11. Graeme1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Hoo boy, there’s controversial and then there’s this

ddub11 likes this.
  12. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

I totally disagree. It's being realistic

13. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

That might have been the case last season but they're definitely not "tough to beat" this season. They've had 5 defeats already and we're just in October. Malmö x 2, Dundee United, Lyon and Sparta Prague.

Throw in a draw to Motherwell, 1 goal victory v St Johnstone & Dundee (who would've drew if Cummings could hit a penalty with conviction)

They're their for the beating and anyone suggesting otherwise is being disingenuous. People are parroting this line simply to ease the pressure on Ange.

They've dropped 5 points already this season and yet we're still 6 points behind them. Diabolical form whichever way you cut it.

Mince.Charming likes this.
  14. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

What you even talking about uber fan? Noone said mission impossible. But to expect to won the league this season and accept nothing less is setting yourself up for a fall in my opinion. I hope I'm wrong on that, I'll reiterate, I'm hopeful we can win the league and obviously want it, but I don't expect it this season and most people.were.in the same boat at the start of the season so its hardly groundbreaking stuff

15. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

What they do in Europe is neither here nor there to be honest. They've struggled to get going this season but they're still a much more settled team than us with a thicker squad, that's just fact.

Of course our form has been poor, noone would argue otherwise. But talk of the manager being sacked or walking is ridiculous at this stage. I dont pretend things have been good so far, but I'm happy to give it some time.

16. Mr. Slippyfist

See this is the complete opposite of the spectrum with a certain section of our support.

Ange and the players are to get zero blame because we're in a "rebuild" - what a lot of utter cow jobbies.

Who is it that's underperforming on the park? Who is it that's deploying idiotic tactics? Who is it that is failing (thus far) in the league?

Or is it unacceptable to point these things out just because Ange has only been in the job 3 months?

Peej likes this.
  17. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Aye it’s crazy to completely absolve Ange of any blame. It’s his system that is seeing us concede some ridiculous goals. Conceding 8 in two EL games is inexcusable.

Sgt Neppers*, Peej and Mr. Slippyfist like this.
  18. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Malmo and Sparta Prague are average teams, if they can get joy against them then it shouldn't be beyond us.

Literally every team is giving them a game. Even Livi were getting chances at 1-0 down until their keeper passed it straight to Morelos' feet.

They're no great shakes and it absolutely should be beyond us to challenge them this season if their form remains the same.

I wouldn't be binning Ange just yet but if things don't improve and we fall further behind them, while we stubbornly continue to ask Ralston & Montgomery to be Lahm & Alaba then he won't get more than this season. Nor do I think he should.

He says he understands the magnitude of the club and if that's true he understands the importance of winning the League this season, if his methods don't get us close to that (however poor a hand he's been dealt with by the board) then he should ultimately pay the price for that.

Sgt Neppers* and Mr. Slippyfist like this.
  19. Mr. Slippyfist

Lennon got crucified for losing 8 goals in two games last season, and quite rightfully so.

The difference with that result and this is at least Lennon was playing full backs as full backs, and Ange is playing the most limited full backs I've ever seen as makeshift centre mids during the games and telling them not to bother about positioning, defending or backing up your two CB's.

Completely mindblowing tactic to be using, and I tell you what IF we lose this league and IF we conceed a serious amout of goals, and IF ange gets the bullet as a result of any/all of those points, I for one wouldn't be surprised in the slightest.

Even * John Barnes - a tactically inept novice of a manager wouldn't have played with such a * Hari Kari system...

20. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

I dont disagree with that. If the huns continue to struggle then we should (and I think will) give them a challenge and if things aren't obviously improving the I agree it shouldn't be more than 1 season. I dont think thats unreasonable. 3 months is way too short, given the squad overhaul and luck with injuries, to properly assess his capacity for the job