1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

climate change

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by ronan cfc, Oct 25, 2009.

Discuss climate change in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ronan cfc

is climate change getting into a really important stage?i heard on the radio that gordon brown said we only have 50 days to save the earth:88: it seems there is always a lot of talk and a lot of meetings (which they all fly in big private planes to a 30 minute meeting) but nothing really done about it.and there is an advert coming out which shows dogs drowning cities going under water and so on.i also heard there is a hole in ehtozone layer the size of europe. is any1 really doing anything about it?

2. number8

Fav Celtic Player:
    Dannny McGrain
    I dont know enough about it, but it seems to me that it matters not a jot what we in the west do to reverse it.The way the future superpowers of the worlds economy China,India etc are growing its going to take alot more than me and you filling our blue bin for recycling and turning the tap off when brushing our teeth to do anything about it.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  3. andrewhoha

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields
  4. LB

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Hooper ,All Time -"Jinky"
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic song
    i think its all a big con job to get us to pay more taxes !!!! the earth has been warming up since the ice age nothing different its only mother earth doing what it does best ..Like i said before its the government scaring people and it will carry on doing this so we pay more tax :shamrock:

5. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

I seriously dont know what to make of it,but when i herd :)icon_mrgreen:) that cows farting is damaging the world i laughed.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  6. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I have no doubts that Climate Change is very real and is starting to kick in. It's going to be terrifying for some countries. Selfishly I'm hoping I'm not around to experience it but it looks like it's going to get disruptive before 20 years time.

Small quote from the Guardian, link https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...-6-this-is-how-world-ends-book-climate-change.

What's quite depressing is the most vulnerable place currently seems to be the poor countries in the Caribbean. There is no way they can protect themselves being so wide open in the middle of that vast ocean.

What is frightening for the Middle East is meteorologists are predicting Dubai is in the firing line for new parts of the world where these heavy duty storms will occur. Dubai has absolutely no protection from a hurricane, it would be completely flattened.

Scotland and coastal areas in northern Europe are in the firing line for a different reason, the exponential melting of land ice which is going to raise sea levels and provide idea conditions for mass evacuation.

It's almost impressive how quickly we messed the place up, just since the Industrial Revolution is the original source? Obviously mass increase in population too.

Might be time to get planning permission for the side of a Munro, surely a storm wouldn't get that far inland past them?

Anyway, predictions are Climate Change is going to disrupt the natural cycle of earth's perfectly balanced eco system but long before that happens it's forecast that India and Pakistan are going to be severely affected by melting ice in the Himalays which is going to flow down and ironically flood the land so badly the main sources of healthy drinking water both countries use is going to be badly affected so a move to secure these areas will inevitably lead to an impossible satisfactory settlement and eventually when people start being affected by lack of water there is no other solution but to go and get some, I think I'd rather die in a nuclear blast than thirst as that is supposed to be excruciatingly painful for the nervous system.

It is still a theory, the climate situation is not theory.

Jeez what a cheery post for a Sunday morning.

And this confirms what we knew years ago, we're way past the point of no return.

Link - https://www.theguardian.com/environ...worlds-ice-is-doing-something-not-seen-before

Well there is possibly some good news for India and Pakistan after all.

Link - https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/09/180925140522.htm

More positive news, too late for a lot but possibly be a solution for emissions from developing countries never mind developed Western nations.

Sounds like quite an ingenious piece of technology.

Link - https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/09/180921140146.htm

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  7. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    Bring on the ice age

8. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    We are going through a crisis just now and you * are worried about the weather!

Twisty, Raoul Duke and StPauli1916 like this.
  9. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

When there is money to be made from it, climate change will be a thing.

There’s money to be made from it, now Trump’s administration are interested. Take from that what you will.

Clint Eastwood likes this.
  10. oh bhoy

It has been much warmer and cooler than it is now before the industrial revolution, the so Called man made climate change is a lot of balls .climate changes always has always will .
    polluting the planet we live on is * up but to pretend the big yellow thing in the sky ain't dictating what's going on here is bonkers

11. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

You do know that the ozone layer has protected us from the big yellow thing in the sky and that's what is being damaged as well. So obviously remove that protection and the sun will indeed affect what is going on here more than before.

Seán Mac D, Tony. and Clint Eastwood like this.
  12. oh bhoy

The same ozone layer with the big massive hole which is repairing itself

13. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Wait a minute I have just re-read your post and you have described it as "so called man made climate change"

I'm out, as that description tells me plenty tbh :giggle1:

14. oh bhoy

:56:
    Oh snap the ozone layer is repairing itself I'm out
    [​IMG]

15. honda Gold Member Gold Member

It's no us who is * it, it's those pesky cows farting all the time. Time to eat more steaks to combat the situation.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  16. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

No, not because you said that, it's because of your original claim. If I had registered that I wouldn't have even bothered wasting my time stating the obvious for you.

17. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Def something in it.......i mean there was a morning during the week there that i nearly had to defrost the windows on the motor!! First time in a while too!!!:fear:

18. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

We started with the Flat Earthers, now we have Climate Change deniers...what's next, Rangers wurny liquidated in 2012?

Lilac Wine likes this.
  19. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    :56: :poster_oo

Calm doon you, you're winding yourself up for no reason. Btw you not think you could do with a new car? That sounds like a nightmare to keep running, only adding to your stress. Herbie didn't get that name by accident, smoked weed like a hippy, probably first HighBrid, I think everyone involved in making that film were high, how did they manage to pitch it?

Anyway, less of the serious chit chat, you're the one who has to read about the 'crisis' as much as possible so you understand how to weather the storm that's blowing smoke up yer tartan 'cause I'm not in panic mode or evacuating yet, we still have time to take control of our own destiny this season. Btw, very subtle use of the word * when I was the only person who had posted in years at that point :RedFinger

Then you say you want an Ice Age ffs we just got a lovely new pitch last year, I can understand why you'd wish for that though, just to make the pain go away cause there would be no league games or Europe. Be a bummer missing 10iar if we win the league this season. How long is this Ice Age, the usually last a while so I would prefer a functional cryogenic chamber, maybe even in the standing area just cause it wouldn't need plugged in. Broony would still be ready to play. Nothing freezes the big man.

We used to have a Nice Age, when the biscuit tin outgoings were frozen for a while. Not that I want that happening again.

January is usually a good time to gander at the weather vein (yep on purpose) and assessing our chances of success. I imagine it'll be close this year than for a long time. Still optimistic. Others will probably think we might know before or after January. Before would be great, Christmas should be a time relax and reflect on a so far so good campaign and that goes for Lawwell too as a bit of support to show the squad we're serious is needed. I watch KT playing very well or brilliant every game and can't help thinking he must be so frustrated not having the same level of quality alongside him. He'll go sooner than later if we stagnate. Ffs now I am in crisis mode :rofl:

Jeez oh, people fighting over the authenticity of Human's responsibility for climate change. Why would it bother anyone?

Anyway, I just remembered this is not the correct thread to be talking about Celtic, I hope you're not reading the Invincibles Thread today :brendy: