1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Chris Sutton

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by gasrex, May 13, 2016.

Discuss Chris Sutton in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr. Slippyfist

He has a point though, couple of times against der Sevco he was caught shockingly out of position, and far too slow to react - think the one that stands out (and I see the irony in it that I can't quite remember at this point), but think it might have been the goal that Candeias * scored? Well need to have a look back at it, but Ajer was definitely poor.

That being said, overall he's been wonderful imo since he's come in and nailed down a starting position at CB.

2. belbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley...the shebeen version
    Great analysis by Sutty very accurate imo

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

4. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    Signing Odsonne Edouard is great but Celtic simply cannot now let Moussa Dembele go - Chris Sutton
    Chris reckons Dembele is ahead of his fellow Frenchman in terms of quality and Celtic can't afford a downgrade going into the Champions League qualifiers.

By Chris Sutton

Celtic have finally got the ball rolling on their summer spending and I’m pleased to see them securing Odsonne Edouard because it was beginning to look like they were stockpiling cash rather than speculating in the transfer market.

But as one young Frenchman comes in the front door, Celtic can’t afford to let another one leave through the rear exit. Moussa Dembele has to be retained because he is a far better striker and Brendan Rodgers can’t afford a downgrade going into the Champions League qualifying campaign.

A £9m price tag is a fair amount for a development player - and that, for me, is what Edouard is. But that’s the market Celtic are in. Edouard is a good prospect but he’s far from the finished article.

I’m surprised it’s taken so long for the club’s transfer record to be broken. Eighteen years is a long time but if Edouard continues to progress and to fulfil the potential he has, there’s no reason why Celtic won’t double or treble their outlay in the next few years if and when the Frenchman moves on.

The difference for Edouard has already been at the club so he already has a head start. But forget about this notion he’s a ready made replacement for Dembele.

But with a hefty price tag comes huge pressure. I should know, I broke the British transfer record when I went from Norwich to Blackburn, cost Chelsea £10m and then Celtic a Scottish record as well.

I’m not going to lie, it did carry a burden of expectation. But you just need to deal with it.

They are not in the same league as yet and I’m not convinced he’s a natural No.9.

I hope Celtic dig their heels in over Dembele, because losing him would be an absolute disaster. Edouard has ability but is still raw and we saw last season Celtic need three strikers.

Dembele and Edouard showed they can play together with the way they linked up against Hearts at Celtic Park and when the 10 men won at Ibrox.

It’s an awful lot of money for a guy who is not guaranteed a game but at least Celtic are investing in the side and in the future.

They spent £4.5m on another development player in Olivier Ntcham and you could see the progress he’d made by the end of the season. Brendan Rodgers has proved he can develop players and if he can improve Edouard and in a few years there’s every chance the club will recoup they outlay on the striker and then some.

But keeping Dembele for the short term is huge when it comes to the European qualifiers.

Celtic have strength in depth. Now it’s time for Rodgers to get the chequebook out again and address the defence.

As well as Europe, Rodgers will be desperate to get off to a flier in the league and on the face of it, a home game against Livingston on day one gives him a great chance to do just that.

Rangers, on the other hand, have a real toughie - but Steven Gerrard, who made Let’s Go his catchphrase, should have another one now.

Let’s get on with it.

You could say Rangers have been handed a fairly tough set of games to kick off their season, with three out of their first four away from home.

A trip to Pittodrie on the opening day is the most difficult test he could have been hit with outside a curtain raiser at Celtic Park. Motherwell at Fir Park is another tricky one if Stephen Robinson’s side are anything like last season.

Then there’s the first Glasgow Derby of the campaign at Celtic Park, just four games in , but I don’t think for a minute Gerrard will be looking at the fixture list and feeling hard done by.

Quite the opposite.

It’s a baptism of fire but it was always going to be tough with the Europa League involvement even before we get to the opening day.

Gerrard won’t complain. He’ll see it as exciting. I’d think he will be viewing it as an opportunity to lay down an early marker.

That clash at Pittodrie will be intriguing for a number of reasons - especially after Derek McInnes saying last term it would be embarrassing for Rangers to finish below Aberdeen.

Well they did, and they have the chance to make an early statement again at the beginning of August.

Both clubs will.

People might look at the first few weeks as being tough but it can work both ways. If Gerrard gets off to a flier then he’ll have real momentum and they could be up and running.

Sure, it could go the other way, but that’s the environment he’s coming in to.

The Celtic game on September 1 will jump out for all Old Firm fans but Gerrard can’t get drawn towards it. When I arrived at Celtic in 2000, we were due to face Rangers early in the season but I wasn’t worried.

I couldn’t wait to play them. Celtic will be looking forward to that one as well and they won’t have any complaints about the fixtures.

It’s exciting when they come out and it gives fans the chance to get their diaries out and plot their trips for the year ahead.

It will be certainly interesting for Celtic when they get to the Christmas period and they have back-to-back away games against Aberdeen and Rangers to end the year, but there’s a lot to sort out before we get to that point.

Rangers have been busy in the transfer market and they look like they have done some decent business. It remains to be be seen whether it’s enough to put a dent in Celtic’s dominance.

freederry20 likes this.
  5. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    John McGinn would become a Celtic star because Brendan Rodgers is the best at developing talent - Chris Sutton
    Chris reckons Parkhead is the perfect place for the Scotland international to continue his development.

By Chris Sutton

Celtic have made their first move for John McGinn but there’s next to no chance it will be their last.

I’m not shocked Brendan Rodgers has started the ball rolling in his attempt to land the Hibs midfielder but I have been a bit surprised by the reaction from some Celtic fans.

There has been a muted response from some quarters and a suggestion McGinn is not the kind of class required to compete in Europe.

I’m not having that argument. McGinn might not be European class right now – but he will be.

I’ve seen plenty of the player and I must admit I’m a fan. He might not be the finished article yet but he’s a top prospect and is not too far off.

Don’t get me wrong, Celtic can’t keep signing potential or project players.

At some point they will need tried and trusted campaigners, especially in the brutal testing grounds of Europe.

But McGinn is no wet-behind-the-ears novice. He’s still fairly young but has over 200 games under his belt and international caps.

Of course he has some developing left to do but have Celtic fans not been paying attention in recent years? Rodgers is one of the best in the business at developing talent – just look at the man McGinn would be replacing.

Stuart Armstrong wasn’t deemed European class when Rodgers came in but he certainly was by the time he left.

McGinn would be the ideal replacement in the engine room.

I don’t blame Celtic for going in low at first but I’d expect them to ramp up the bids – significantly.

It has been suggested Hibs are looking for £4million and Celtic fans see that as a bit steep for a guy with 12 months left in his contract.

But you can’t flog Armstrong for £7m and then low ball the Easter Road club. If anything I think they’ll need to go to £5m for McGinn – but he’d be worth it.

It’s not just about current worth, it’s about potential worth. The same goes for Kieran Tierney. Celtic would be flogging Tierney on the cheap if they accepted £25m.

People may scoff but I said the same when Virgil van Dijk went for £13m.

That turned out to be the bargain of the century for Southampton and I’m convinced it would be the same
    for Tierney.

Like McGinn, he still has a bit to go but there’s absolutely no doubt he’ll get there. If anything, I’d suggest he’d be better holding off for something higher up the food chain than Everton.

They’re a decent club but they won’t be playing in the Champions League any time soon. Tierney will, whether it’s with Celtic or someone else.

The lad is going places but he has talked himself in to the corner a tad with his comments about being a Celt for life. The fans won’t take too kindly if he was then to jump ship but they need to get real.

We’re talking telephone numbers when it comes to wages. He’d be daft not to at least consider any
    opportunities that come his way.

Celtic will be sweating though. It’s one thing banking a big cheque but another when your team is ripped to bits when you need it the most.

These are perilous times for the club. They are facing the prospect of taking on a club like Rosenborg with no right- back after Mikael Lustig and Cristian Gamboa’s World Cup exertions.

And their first-choice centre-back could be off as well if a huge offer comes in for Dedryck Boyata on the back of his performances in Russia.

If Tierney goes too, Celtic would be up the creek against a side they were lucky to get past in the qualifying phase last season.

There’s talk of the likes of Harry Wilson from Liverpool coming in, at least there was until it was suggested the Anfield bosses were wary because of what happened to Chelsea’s Charly Musonda last term.

Utter nonsense. Do they think Rodgers didn’t want to play him?

The simple reason he wasn’t involved was he wasn’t cutting it.

Only Musonda can say why that was the case but let’s nip this idea any club can dictate who plays when and where during these loan spells. No one should hold a gun to the head of clubs like Celtic and Rangers.

Rodgers has a duty to pick his strongest side, regardless of whether they are permanent or loan signings.

It costs a hefty packet to get these loans in nowadays and if they are off form or others are playing better then I’m afraid it’s tough luck. Play your way into the team.

If any club tries to make demands then look elsewhere.

McGinn fits the bill and he looks like being the next one in – but he can’t be the last.

6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Armstrong was European class by the time he left and thinks we'll need to go to 5 for McGinn..

Genuinely stopped there..

The IRA likes this.
  7. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Same mate soon as I seen the comment about Armstrong who couldnae trap a baw if he tried for us in Europe.

8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Aye i genuinely think he talks utter * half the time..

Always talking about us improving in Europe and what he wants to see, then bigs up arguably our worst performer in it now he's gone..

Doogs. likes this.
  9. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Love the * and I usually even agree with most of what he says but that was a step too far. Mibbae I’m a bit blinded cos I didnae like Armstrong but the only decent European performance I can remember him having is against Inter and that was under Ronny:giggle1:

Mince.Charming likes this.
  10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Loved him as a player. He's like marmite as a pundit with me though. Sometimes I can't stand him when he's got a bee in his bonnet. Ronny. Gordon. Boyata. Now it's Ajer. But then I'll love him and agree with him over a few thing's and how he backs the club as a whole..

He drives me mad at time's :56:.....mainly because he starts shouting and doesn't debate. It's his way or * in his eye's ha..

Doogs. likes this.
  11. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Good entertainment but :56:

More often than not he’s shouting cos he’s right anaw, he’s a clever big * compared to all the other cliche repeating mongos he works with and he knows it :giggle1:

12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Definitely :56:

Love how he tortures Sally and that wee gremlin Alex Rae. Murders them and yet whenever they give an opinion they look up 5 feet for the big man's approval :56:

Abuses Craigan and Currie. I actually think him and Craigan get on though and it's for show..

TheHappyLoss and Doogs. like this.
  13. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Aye the wee head to head bits him and Craigan do you can tell they’re pally, big man staring in to your eyes telling you how it is like the demon headmaster :56: scary thought.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  14. kinglenny

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    I like Sutton he's a good pundit and good at winding up the huns, but he doesn't half talk * sometimes.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  15. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    5m for McGinn?

* off.

16. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Did Sutton become McGinn's agent? Even by his own logic that makes no sense. £7m for a player, as he puts it, of European class, but £5m for one that isn't yet? Right you are Chris.

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member