1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic's Record Transfers

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by ILoveTheCeltic, Aug 14, 2013.

Discuss Celtic's Record Transfers in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. murphy88

Balde was seemingly on 18k p/w basic, an extra 5k if he was on the bench, and 10k if he started. Heard that a few year back from an accountant that dealt with one of our players at the time.

2. Intellectually Absurd Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson (obvious choice ehh?)
    Agree. I mean when you factorin that he gave us great years as a player and he is now our manager (and I wouldn't want anyone else), then it is a 'bargain'.

However, before he became our manager I remember thinking how stupid Celtic were, splashing that amount of cash on him, when I didn't even rate him , nor did I rate him at Celtic:52:.

O'Neil certainly loved his British players.

3. LoveTheTic88

Wasn't Bobo Balde on the best part of £25,000 per week and hardly played in his last 3 years or something similar?

Literally rinsed the club in his later days.

4. The Maestro

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul Mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Malley
    I only recall Jock Brown saying we traded Di Canio for Regi Stinker, so it must have been 4.1 million for Paolo with Regi valued at 100,000

5. LoveTheTic88

"In July 2007, before the start of the new season, Roy Keane, manager of Sunderland, showed interest in Baldé. Keane was reported to have made a £1.5m offer for his former Celtic team-mate. "I love the club, I am very settled in Glasgow and I would be happy to fulfil my current contract."

Which is EXACTLY what Bobo did, without really playing. Easy dosh!

6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Interesting fact about this signing - signing Stubbs for £4m meant that Fergus wouldn't realise the funds on another young defender priced at £1m that Davie Hay and Tommy Burns desperatdly wanted... Jaap Stam.

7. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    The worst thing about it was he was better than Caldwell and McManus and wasnt even injured. :54:

He was made to train with the youth teams etc and basically being forced out. Think it was as he was due a £1million loyalty bonus if he reached the end of his contract which he did anyway.

8. JBhoy85

This is true any other season.... But with the added totals from the Sales of Wanyama, Hooper, Wilson..... plus Profit from last Seasons CL campaign........ Increase in season tickets bought this year..... we have a shed load more money than we would have any other season on recent years. Now would be the best possible opportunity to land ourselfs a £5million Striker! Alfie Finnbogason would fit the bill perfectly and has a wage packet of under £28k a week. We have the extra funds there... we should use them while we can!

9. LoveTheTic88

Balde's last 3 seasons at Celtic, 2006-2009.

10 SPL apps, 14 in all comps.

We really should have bitten Roy Keane's hand off.

10. 31B404 Gold Member Gold Member

I still can't believe we bought Rafael Scheidt. Was there seriously nobody at the club who had seen him play?

Don't you just hate stupidity and corruption... :52:

11. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    We have probably already spent £5/6million though, plus Lennon and most fans say we want 3 players. So if one of them was costing £5million, then that means we'd have spent £11million with still probably 2 other signings to be made, if they cost £2million each that would be £15million spent in one window, which would be very unlike us even with selling players.

I think at the moment we're probably paying off the whole loan or as much as possible from the 2018 £10million loan so that we dont have to worry about it in future.

12. Intellectually Absurd Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Celtic have been * awful at times in the transfer market. This is magnified by the fact we have limited transfer funds, therefore we have to try and get it right every time.

Robbie Keane: £65k a week
    Roy Keane: £45k a week
    Henrik Larsson: £45k a week
    Sutton; Lennon; Thompson; Balde etc were on 30k a week. However i've seen sources quote £35k a week for Sutton but I'm not really sure.

13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    John Barnes watched a 14 minute video

14. LoveTheTic88

No chance we paid Robbie Keane £65,000!!

Surely half of it with Spurs paying the rest?

15. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Aye mental signing. At least he's our only one like that though who was signed for big money and basically done heehaw with us getting nothing back.

The Dead club from across the City seemed to make these kind of signings Willie Nilly.... Negri, Prodan, Rosenthal, Boli, Salenko, Amato, Konterman, Guivarc'h, Ball - on average those players must have cost about £3.5million a peice and on average probably only made about 25 appearances apeice - and most of them were signed in the 90s in fact I think all them were except Michael Ball.

16. Intellectually Absurd Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    A director at Celtic stumped up the wages for his loan deal.

17. murphy88

Wasn't Balde's fault. He was under contract and willing to play whenever called upon. MON put a few guys on longer deals prior to leaving.

18. coybig1967

worst thing with bobo balde was the fact we never kept a clean sheet away from home for a year, played him one match away to dundee united if i remember correctly, kept a clean sheet then dropped him again :56:

19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Balde was the best defender at the club and didn't play under Lawell's orders.

20. ParadiseAndy

Fav Celtic Player:
    paddy mccourt

I think we were totally duped on that one.

I can remember something going on at the time about wanderlei luxemburgo (brazil coach at the time) being involved in a scam to cap no-body, * players so that they could then be sold for inflated prices to unsuspecting idiots (like our club at the time...barnes etc - clueless)

I'm nearly sure that was what happened with Scheidt