1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic v Internazionale (Thursday 19/02/15, K.O. 20:05, BT Sports 1)

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Vertie Auld, Feb 14, 2015.

Discuss Celtic v Internazionale (Thursday 19/02/15, K.O. 20:05, BT Sports 1) in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    What a magnificent game. Exhausted and yet canne get to sleep.

First off, it might only have been a draw and we conceded 3 goals at home. What a game!!!

Mentioned earlier in the thread I was apprehensive of about the game. I thought it might have been a tight game. Instead it was open, both teams had the intent of winning.

As for the game. Inter might be a bit hit and miss but they were ruthless when we fell short of the standard required. Palacio(best I've seen him play) was a danger with his movement(dropping short and spinning into the fullback area. Works well when our players are more advanced)While it wasn't anything complicated, he carried it out to great effect. Shaqiri floated around picking up pockets of space to play in and Medel done likewise in his deeper role. Thought Icardi would show more but never noticed him until he was subbed off.

In previous weeks I haven't been impressed with the Inter defence. That sentiment still stands after tonight. Rannochia in particular can be our source of hope for the return leg. He looks competent when the ball is to be won in the air but time after time he was beaten over the top and on a few diagonals. He doesn't look to clever on the ground either. Also Handanovic on the bench,was baffling.

Anyway back to us. I said earlier we have to compete and we have to be braver going forward. I thought we did both very well. It was pleasing to see us knock the ball down and look to take on a team like Inter. The negatives are obvious and I don't need to go on about them. We worked hard in the midfield. All 3 in the central areas done both of the aforementioned tasks to a fine standard. Armstorng was impressive again, thought he was ready made for this team and his early performances are proving that point. He worked the area between Campagnaro and Rannochia to great effect. Once he forms a greater understanding with Izzy and improves on his conditioning, he's going to become a greater influence. Matthews and Izzaguire done the majority of the work in going forward.

In general we looked much more accomplished in terms of possession and conditioning, compared to how we've faired against our European opponents.

While the result when it's laid bare in terms of aiming to qualify isn't great. Plenty of positives to take from the display tonight. In the circumstances of going behind so early,then conceding a 2nd after settling again. To pull the game level shown a lot of character and belief in what they wanted to achieve. To then take another blow in the manner just before half-time, only to come out 2nd half and repeat the feat.

The neutrals watching on BT Sport and no doubt the Inter fans would probably be bemused by the scences at the end. For me it was as simple as an appreciation of the effort by the players on the park.

Superb display from the GB as well.

2. Shane1888

YNWA, Celtic Symphony and The Fields were all top notch again :50:

Spine tingling stuff.

3. Keano88

You gonnae call him John?

4. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony

Good summary, however this is a key point and a good one.

Too many times in the past we have been panicky on the ball in Europe, now, we at last seem to be able to play our way about teams when on form.

It's not as if Inter Milan sat off us either, they were pressing yet we still found those pockets of space and had the composure to pick passes.

I am going to single out Bitton as the main reason for that by the way...

5. davidhannah

6. Vertie Auld

In the Heat of Lisbon when the highlights of 67 were playing as well. :50:

7. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    That is why we are a big club :50:

8. z1c0

Maybe in like 15 years time :56:

9. Mikolias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Georgios Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Unreal night, what a game! Swear I almost died when Guidetti scored, my head is still pounding! I thought we were all over them most of the game, we were good with the ball and had good pace, definitely think we can take them in Milan!

10. Keano88

Reading some of the tweets from when we went 2-0 down, most of the people haven't tweeted since, wonder why :56:

"Go on Inter! This is going to be embarrassing! Celtic are so *!"

"Just shows how * Celtic really are"

Up yez, ya choad sucking zombie * :icon_mrgreen:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2015
  11. Keano88

Few more cracking tweets.

"Waiting on Inter for £250...it'll be the sweetest coupon ever"

"There was me hinkin inter would let ma coupon down lol"

"So so so skint and had inter on ma coupon literally greeting"

12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    :rofl:

13. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    :56: .............Brilliant

14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Last ones a belter, can picture it in it's hovel greeting uncontrollably at us winning and losing the bet as a double whammy..

They have the cheek to call us beggars :52:, good tip tomorrow pal. Home win..

15. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    :56::56:

16. OMcG25

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Naka, Sammi
    Very proud of the team tonight. Some going to come back from two down against a good side and Guidetti's goal keeps us right in the tie. What is particularly pleasing is how we played. We looked like a decent side with good crisp passing and and looked dangerous going forward. There is no denying that we had some great results in Europe under Lennon but the football we played was pretty poor. its refreshing to see us play like we did tonight. We could easily have won that 3-0 or 3-1. Dunno what was up with Gordon tonight, maybe the ocassion got to him, or the tricky conditions, but mistakes do happen and hopefully he can put it behind him for the next game. Without him we wouldnt be in the last 32.

Matthews had a good game which will give his confidence a boost. Delighted with Armstrong and GMS, quality players who suit Ronny's style well and can only get better. Bitton brilliant also.

Looking forward to the 2nd leg, we have a good chance but will need to play a near perfect game. id give Wakaso a run out at the weekend as its clear Inter dont like pace, with his speed and strength he could be a real asset next week.

17. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    One thing I've learned about Italian sides over the last few years, they are clinical as *. In games against Juve, AC and Inter I don't think any of the three have been overly impressive, they just have a frightening ability to put the ball in the net when a chance comes. Juve atleast defended well but Inter and AC have been two poor teams.

18. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    2 down after 13 mins at home, the alarm bells are ringing , but ther players showed a great mentality to get back into it, our pace and movement in the last 3rd will always give us a chance, but we just need to ensure that the defence is a little more watertight in the San Siro.

19. McManus4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Have Juve, Inter or AC missed any chances at Celtic Park :smiley-laughing002: feel like these Italian * are scared to miss.

20. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    Have to say shaqiri rebound was very well taking from the angle he was at and the 2nd goal the same Gordon closed palicio down very well but found the space between his legs to put it through, third goal can do one out of my memory.