1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic v Hearts - Saturday 3pm.

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Markybhoy, Sep 24, 2015.

Discuss Celtic v Hearts - Saturday 3pm. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    They combined for a goal that was ruled out did they not?

2. JoeDan67

On the plus side Nir Biton is now pure dead brilliant at running

3. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

A lot of good that did.

4. celtic20

Griffiths seems to be more suited to narrower away grounds I feel. Anyone know how many goals he has scored at CP compared to away games?

5. PlasticViking

A correctly ruled out goal, yes. Because one of your two strikers wandered into an offside position.

6. Balver77

Fav Celtic Player:
    Virgil van Dijk
    The referee was terrible but the Bhoys should've done much more and much better. Offensively there was no idea in front of the Hearts bus. Defensively the Hearts were not a big threat.

I'd have played Janko, GMS, Johansen.

- GMS instead of Forrest, Forrest is a running machine, nothing much more. He was so predictable. GMS has so much more into his play that defenders can't anticipate right away.

- Johansen instead of Commons, he's got some more edge and more intelligence against the style of play the opponent had.

- Janko instead of the Swede. Lustig lacks offensively what Janko has. Janko is much more skilled and to be exact that was what Celtic needed. He is versatile and very strong in offence. Lustig is more experienced and narrowly better defensively. However defence was not a problem tonight.

There was no offensive edge but I had not taken Ciftci on. I wondered what on earth Deila was thinking?

7. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    So you see that interplay between a front two can be useful then?

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i0yN3GPhwhk[/ame]

Today's post match interview With Ronny

RD: Disappointed is the wrong word. I’m irritated because our performance was good and you can’t create more than we did in the first-half.

RD: I don’t think they had a chance in the whole game, apart from at the end when we got the red card, and that wasn’t really a goal chance.

RD: We had about 70% possession & created lots of chances but we could talk about that all day. It’s about scoring goals & we didn’t do that

RD: If we’d got one there would have been more space & we’d have scored more.As a striker you can’t get any more clear-cut chances than that

RD: Leigh had 4 or 5 chances alone but he's scored in every game for us now for a long period & I’m sure he's irritated

RD: There are a lot of things we did today which are going to be good enough on Thursday but we need to be more effective in front of goal

RD: There are a lot of things we did today which are going to be good enough on Thursday but we need to be more effective in front of goal.

RD: In Europe, you get punished harder and you need to punish the opposition when you get the chance.

RD: Charlie is out for Thursday, Stuart trained on Friday, so we’ll see. Jozo Simunovic looks better so he should be available.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2015
  9. PlasticViking

True that. But you always sacrifice something to have two guys up front, either in the midfield or wide. The modern game is about packing the midfield, since that's where most of the action happens, at least if you want to control the game. So a 3-5-2 can work, but you still sacrifice width (which is usually helpful against teams that park the bus). But anyways, my point is that today's result wasn't about the formation, since Celtic created more than enough chances to comfortably win the game. And more so with one up front, than with two up front. Personally I think two strikers is a bit of a waste.

10. celtic20

Certainly an area he has improved in. He actually seemed to have a bit of pace whenever Buaban or Gomis were trying to drive forward. Can't remember a single time he was beaten to the ball today.

11. PlasticViking

Of course it can be, just like interplay between one striker and three attacking midfielders can be. But it obviously wasn't though, since Celtic neither scored or created anything with two up top today. All the chances today were created with one up top. None with two up front. Nada. Zip.

12. Xavier Woods

Fav Celtic Player:
    Erik Sviatchenko
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Game was frustrating as *. Not much you can do when Hearts defend like they did.

13. Lecs

This, 100%.

14. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    Correct. Interplay between a top four can be excellent. When playing against blanket defenses however two men close together in the middle is better. In this type of game we dominate possession anyway and width would be offered by fullbacks.

15. calanor

I actually think this game would have suited Johansen. He usually makes good runs in the box and that was lacking today. Players making runs in the middle of the 16m/ in front of the goal.

16. Bazros

Fav Celtic Player:
    King Kenny and Henrik. Proud to have seen them both play.
    Cheers Crow, been waitin on this on the BBC :50:

17. PlasticViking

Obviously it wasn't though, if you watched today's match (which I suppose you did). You had your two men up front, and it didn't do any good what-so-ever. Celtic created far more with one up front. Sure, if Celtic had two great strikers, then by all means play two up front. But Celtic doesn't have two great strikers. Celtic has one decent striker (Griffiths), and one who can become decent if given time (Ciftci). Having two average strikers up top doesn't help the team when you have better players who can create more from the attacking midfield areas. And today's match showed exactly that, as Celtic created quite a few good chances with one up front, and nothing with two up front. What Celtic needs is one good striker. Not two decent/average ones.

18. Captain Brown Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Cheers again Crow.

I'd have given man of the match to wee Forrest today. He's great to watch sometimes and ran Patterson ragged all game.

19. calanor

Well said :50:

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Aye thought forrest played well today

Brown was the celtic website man of the match

No problem.