1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic to face Class Action over Boy's Club abuse

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Bob Loblaw, Oct 5, 2021.

Discuss Celtic to face Class Action over Boy's Club abuse in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
  2. Mr. Slippyfist

So, by saying it like so I'm assuming you're saying that Celtic (PLC) are at fault, or were complicit in Torbett and co's fiendish acts?

3. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

Could all have been avoided if we’d faced up to our responsibilities a long time ago and been proactive.

4. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Settling out of court looks almost as bad as losing in court, just look at Prince Andrew. This could be something the club would struggle to recover from.
    We also do not know who was complicit and to what extent. If Celtic aren't at fault the club shouldn't have to pay them. I actually think it will be tough for the victims to win.

5. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The court has said we were 'intimately linked' with the Boys Club, which we were.

So yes, I feel like we had a duty of care for these boys, which we failed.

6. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    There is no way we come out of this looking good. The best we can do is support these men who have been abused, through compensation and mental support.

* Prince Andrew. Couldn't give a * about him.

Sydneysider likes this.
  7. Mr. Slippyfist

So did many folk, including their own families - does that mean that it was the mother or father's fault for allowing weans to go to their coaches house unsupervised?

8. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    So we had a duty of care but shouldn't offer support because they...had bad parents?

9. Mr. Slippyfist

I don't recall saying either thing - I asked you question based on your comments.

You've said earlier that you "hope we settle out of court" - why would Celtic settle out of court unless they had something to either hide or took liability for?

Nothing has been "proven" against Celtic here btw - we haven't been found guilty of anything. Although I will tell you WHO has been found guilty, Torbett and his cohorts. What is happening now is a question of a group trying to sue Celtic PLC for corporate liability, or vicarious liability as this recent judge is claiming.

My question is not whether any kids were abused - no one is arguing that, and I don't know what you're demanding of Celtic to put in place in terms of support? The question is whether or not it's the fault of Celtic that an individual who created Celtic Boys Club and hired a team of evil * peadophile pals to groom and rape wee weans, which is still being argued - hence innocent until proven guilty btw...

10. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Whole things been disgusting from the beginning to end.

‘Our’ lawyer saying we have proof that us and the boys club weren’t linked but can’t find the paperwork sums it up.

11. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    It doesn't look good and doesn't matter about paper work or being technically two different entities anyway. They were essentially our youth set up and the connections that were there(like the name "Celtic boys club" and all the kit provided by us) would have legitimised the abusers coercive and grooming actions. Not sure if wording that right but would have gave the abusers power to promise to give a push to players and in theory a chance to make it professionally.

We could have handled it better and a lot sooner.

Hammy89 likes this.
  12. TheHappyLoss

An absolute stain on our history. Obviously this should have been dealt with many years ago and the victims getting some sort of justice. Genuine question though, absolutely no one left at the club that could have been complicit in this and the club has changed hands since the allegations. So how can the current owners be held responsible either morally or financially for what happened?

Twisty likes this.
  13. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    What was the point of you saying 'does that mean that it was the mother or father's fault for allowing weans to go to their coaches house unsupervised?'

Yes, I believe Celtic FC are liable. I've said we had a duty of care, which we failed. The notes said we even discussed these issues at boardroom level in the 70s up to the 90s. We did nothing.

As I've said, I want financial support and mental health support for the abused. I cannae understand why anyone would argue against that tbh.

If you think we're coming out of this scot free, you're off your rocker.

merthyn, aliceinsound and FranceCelt like this.
  14. Pacific Ocean Blue

Spot on, the club has to shoulder some responsibility

Hammy89 likes this.
  15. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Shoulder some but not all. Plus I'd be chasing the old board. Wouldn't have said its a club matter but the board at the time. As for huns foaming from the gash....sick * as per. But they shouldn't be gloating as they've got plenty enough that's been swept away

16. Mr. Slippyfist

You said we had a duty of care - I don't disagree with that, but we weren't the only ones with a duty of care. Without trying to take any level of responsibility away from the actual scummy * who committed the acts - so, my question (which still hasn't been answered) is instead of constantly saying we are "morally responsible" and "had a duty of care" etc I''m asking HOW exactly did we fail? Like give me one instance of factual information to prove this?

And as for your last two sentences - what is it about someone asking a question that folk like you genuinely cannot understand? Nowhere have I said that poor * kids who were raped don't deserve any justice or care - I'm asking a black and white question on what smoking gun makes us "morally responsible"?

And, again, I'm not "off my rocker) because nowhere have I said or intimated that we're coming out of anything scot free, did I?

17. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

A significant compensation fund should have been set up, and free professional help should have been made readily available to the the victims, many years ago.

It’s unfathomable that anyone would think otherwise to be honest.

Creativecelt, scootz and FranceCelt like this.
  18. FranceCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - McGregor, Past - Lubo
    I agree - we've wasted a * load of money on crap signings over the last few years, so a little bit towards compensating the victims shouldn't be out of the question. Just sign one or two less "projects" that never see the light of day anyway. Celtic can't change the history, but they can do the right thing going forward, and at least gain the respect for doing so.

Hammy89 likes this.
  19. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    What is the maximum punishment given to other clubs who have been in similar situations? I believe Man City and Chelsea had a problem with predators.

Creativecelt likes this.
  20. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    Get it out in the open and hopefully it is dealt fairly and quickly, this elephant in the room has to be resolved sooner rather than later.

Paul Kennedy likes this.