1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic joining a bigger league

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by jake10, Aug 6, 2022.

Discuss Celtic joining a bigger league in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. celtic warrior

I've always thought a British League made most sense.

It's always been stupid when the English comment on having Scottish team join their league set up....but just ignoring the fact they already allow Newport, Cardiff and Swansea.

Thing is, it will never happen...however for the case of a country like Luxembourg given the sheer size of the place I could see them winning but I don't think their case arguments would really transfer to other countries like Scotland or other league clubs.

Noskeil likes this.
  2. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

The league cup in England and Scotland should combine, make it interesting.

3. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

I've said this to my mates down here, both competitions are basically viewed as mediocre in terms of achievement. A Brit Cup would make it more interesting. Obviously need to find a better name for it than that though.

FrankMcCallum likes this.
  4. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    So * boring. Don't want it either..

They're scared of what we COULD become in England. I don't care what anyone says, we're no Cardiff and Swansea..

No English either so * them..

5. Keano88

I’m not one for moving leagues but that cup idea would be class I think.

6. Draupnir

Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Not for me.

7. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    If the powers that be who run Scottish football had a scooby this league would be in a better position.
    Decision after decision ends up completely *.
    Constantly shooting themselves in the foot which downgrades the brand.

If Doncaster could negotiate a good deal for Scottish football, and if the sfa and splfl could stand up to the * huns, this league would be in a better position.

Get investment to improve the brand and things will happen eventually. There are leagues who have less money and outperform Scottish teams, including celtic, in Europe every year.

I don't want to leave Scottish football...I want it to improve. I want owners to stand up and give it a real go. I want them to hire managers who aren't afraid to get the ball down and play football. Too many self serving clubs who play utter * football.

Slowly seeing young managers coming in and trying to change the mind-set of hammer throwing long ball * now and it needs to be more

8. saltire78

The boards of both clubs will follow the money... If we got more money than from SPFL and Europe, or if it was likely we'd still get into Europe, I'm pretty sure they'd pursue it...

It's the fans who would apply pressure to the breaks

9. Rydo1888* Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Scottish league is fine for me ..
    just needs investment and the cheating * eradicated

greengrocer and saltire78 like this.
  10. saltire78

Think if it was to come to pass it'd need to:
    1) be something like 20 teams, drawn as 4 from 5 different leagues.
    2) It'd need to have the lowest team(s) from each respective league playing a playoff with top back in their domestic leagues - no matter where they finish in the grouped league.
    3) there'd need to be serious money shuttled down to the domestic leagues to compensate and sustain them

In short, it just doesn't feel like it's a runner. A full shakeup by uefa, forming actual European leagues is the only thing I think could be done, but they don't give a * because the money's already * in as is

luboagain likes this.
  11. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Said this for years, especially when the filth were liquidated. All it would have taken was a Aberdeen or Hearts to step up and say we're going to invest and fill the void. Yet it was the same small time thinking, punted out of Europe before the qualifiers, no improvement.

Celtic and Rangers dominate and finance the league, with the other teams happy as long as they don't lose money. Look at Aberdeen for example, the sold two of their brightest talents for a pittance. It wouldn't happen at Celtic, clubs go in outwith us and them and pick up players for a few million and they think it's outstanding business.

12. saltire78

Agreed! If our leagues were actually managed properly, we'd be able to field an actually decent league and a good 2nd tier of regionalised teams playing locally. There's so much that could be done to improve all aspects of our game, youth development etc but the powers that be are terrified to challenge the status quo, or fanbases like the Huns

Noskeil and Rydo1888* like this.
  13. blackfish Screaming from beneath the waves...

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    If it ever happens it will be dictated by TV companies. If the bubble bursts down south then there will be a plethora of clubs in deep deep trouble.

A court victory in Luxembourg might just rear its head as and when it is required by the people who control football coverage. If there is a hint of a threat to the big boys league they might look at the obvious box office of new blood in their set up.

The down side is that they see us and them as two cheeks of the same * and would not have one without the other. I wouldn’t want that as it would save whatever iteration of them exists at the time of any change.

As for Scottish Football. It is run by no marks who are Sevco fans or * scared of bullets and bombs in the post.

The vast majority of CEOs and directors of all other clubs would jump at the chance of a blue blazer and a pair of brown brogues and a chance to ascend the marble staircase. That’s just a simple fact that the majority of the population in this country favour them over us.

That’s why the book wasn’t thrown at them, that’s why there was no outcry from the other clubs regards being cheated out of cup finals, European revenue, prize money etc. Not a peep. It was the fans who warned their clubs they would desert them if they didn’t listen to them. Rest assured the clubs were thinking how many fans are worth losing to preserve the fabled “blue pound”.

*note - the combined numbers of supporters of the lower league clubs pale into insignificance against the casual non attending supporters who favour a club from Ibrox.

Sevco should have been hauled up repeatedly for bringing the game into disrepute. They have not been cited once. Instead they are feted and revered.

Doncaster and that grinning * Regan should have been put in stocks on Aitkenhead road and pelted with rotten fruit for their shameful and deceitful actions. They both aided and abetted cheating to the detriment of all other clubs in Scotland. Yet we did nothing. Our club has a sin to answer as every single Celtic fan who paid into a game was watching a rigged pantomime.

The Scottish league set up will never improve. The simple fact is that if Sevco lived within their means they would struggle to finish second and the football authorities just can’t stomach that. Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen etc should be front and centre demanding it. For it is they who are still being cheated.

If Sevco were perennial also rans then it would sicken everyone else due to our untouchable dominance. By rights we should be sitting on 22 in a row. Only cheating prevented that.

Cheating that not one CEO has stepped forward and demanded action be taken on. Not one of them.

A bunch of shitebags who will never make their clubs the powers they should be.

If we could get out on our own without those animals I’d jump at the chance.

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  14. JamesM09

I don’t want to join England. I’d rather get rid of the domestic cups and join a European league or something like that.

Celtic are a European club, not an English club.

The Phoenix and Westlondonscot like this.
  15. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    I actually see green shoots of recovery in Scottish football because clubs are not getting into debt from 97 onto 2007 Scottish clubs were swimming with debt and did * all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreenLeanMean likes this.
  16. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Colts would stay I’d suspect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. honda Gold Member Gold Member

There no an English club or a European club. We are Scottish. You may not like it, but for me Scottish footballs brilliant. I like playing in Europe but * that being the normal. What's the point in the champions league etc if we are already playing in a European league with the same teams. No from me. Scottish football is picking up. You can see it even from smaller teams picking up good fees now, along with this conference league the teams actually have a chance to qaulify for Europe to build more. Even bigger leagues are taking notice and finally signing players from smaller teams. Good Times are coming and this league will take off.

18. JamesM09

I’m a Scottish football optimist too. I don’t think I took any digs at Scottish football.

It feels like there is going to be a shake up of European football soon and we should make sure we are aligned to Europe instead of England. Whether it be regional leagues or whatever.

IMO a good system would be to get rid of the champions league and replace it with regional European leagues, with “champions league/Europa League/Conference League” played every second year with teams qualifying based on their regional league.

We would probably be grouped with either Scandinavians or Benelux. Haven’t thought through those details yet.

Domestic football could still be used as a qualification route too.

19. DdoubleD

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Feel like a Scottish team would be a decent investment for someone like the city group for example or any billionaire looking to buy a club. Good league to develop players, plenty of European spots. Surprised it hasn't happened already.

Rydo1888* likes this.
  20. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Isn't the champions league basically doing that though? Last I heard they was talking about groups of 10 or more. Top half go to knock outs etc. Would provide more big games before knockouts and generate more cash for all.