1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic in Europe in 22-23 Season

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Bhoyyo, Apr 13, 2022.

Discuss Celtic in Europe in 22-23 Season in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Cleansheets

I would've called it litotes but cheers...

Peej likes this.
  2. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

I think Jota made an appearance in it. I don’t think it’s matters to much about CL experience it’s more just European as a whole. Whole squad got some last year and put in some decent displays also some bad ones. We are a better team now and only getting better. Draw was a good one I honestly thought we would not have a hope in * of top 2 beforehand. Be extremely tough but do able. 3rd is definitely a possibility and there would be no shame in that.

Skelleto likes this.
  3. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I'll no lie, had to google that one - getting added to the limited word bank I have :56:

But yeah, that is what it is.

Mr Cleansheets likes this.
  4. Foley1888

It’s whether we have learned as a team from our games last year. I recall when we last got to the last 16 of CL we had a very tough EL group the year before Athletico, Rennes and Udinese I think it was and although we didn’t qualify we gave a decent account of ourselves and then built on that the season in the CL.

We will need to do the same again.

On the Bodo home game that game was won and lost on fine margins and poor decisions at times. They were a good side and well organised but we wasted some great situations and they were a marginal offside at 1-0 from losing their keeper and us having a penalty.

Jota probably also had his worst game in a Celtic shirt that night, he had a great chance to square the ball for Maeda and decided to shoot.

There 3rd was also a massive deflection.

We need to give a good account of ourselves in this group it is a very fair draw. It won’t be easy but 2 of the 3 teams are beatable and I would like to see us get a reasonable number of points on the board which will all help financially as well. Last 16 would be a dream but even coming 3rd would be better than I expected before the draw was made.

5. celtic warrior

2nd isn't unattainable...3rd however should be what we put our expectations on.

We would like need about 10 points to finish 2nd and that would most likely have to mean beating Shaktar home and away, then beating and drawing with Leipzig.

Don't expect anything from Real Madrid games.

It's the Leipzig games I'd say that could swing everything.

Shaktar might be seen as the one we should be beating but our away form in Europe for decades is so patchy I wouldn't bet on us winning both games

6. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    The important thing was to come out of the pot early to get a decent group pairing ranger came out later and where close to getting the hardest group going

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Ralston and Giakoumakis have played Champions league group stage football.

8. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

In reference to the Bodo game, that really needs to be our lesson to take into this year in Europe. In how we need to impose our game on other teams to outwork them and then take our chances.

Bodo were extremely efficient against us at Celtic park but we had a midfield with O’Reilly and Rogic, if we want to play a pressing game in Europe McGregor and Hatate have to play.

craigtheceltic likes this.
  9. celtic warrior

Not that he would even set foot on bench...Ajeti also has some exposure to CL

10. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Sorry if already been asked, but how is Shaktars squad looking?
    .i know they lost a few internationals, and are suing FIFA for 50m in lost transfer revenue, but are they still a strong outfit?

Never liked the *, so hoping their decimated as * and we can blast them apart.

11. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I actually can see us beating Madrid. They are slow, ageing. Benzema can finish but again slower, older. I actually think our group can give them a right fright. Dont be suprised if we beat Madrid and loose to shaktar :56: the celtic way.

12. saltire78

If we do everything simple right, no stupid mistakes and we're lucky with injuries/suspension so we're full strength I'm hopeful we can seriously push for 2nd in that group. Outwith the Spaniards I think we can get something from all the games - anything from Madrid would be Barca level shock.

We just need to give it to the others as good as they give to us and get a few breaks. I'd be very optimistic of football after Christmas

13. Jo-Jo-Buffon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    walk alone on a champs league night
    Checked there squad out , only 1 Brazilian full back on loan from a Greek team , at least 6/8 of there starting Brazilians look to have left aswell as the Israeli winger Solomon, apart from Lassina Toure looks like all Ukrainian's only 1 that I fear is the winger Murdruyk (sp)

14. Cumbernauld Bhoy67

Take it you wouldn’t be able to go to Madrid that week? :giggle1:

15. StrikeForceRed

Ange has been working his entire life for this.

the best moment of my life of watching football was the 4 minutes at the 2014 world cup, where Australia was 2-1 up against the Netherlands. we ended up losing that game, but for 4 glorious minutes we were living the dream.

Ange did that with the same group of players that had lost 6-0 in back to back friendly games against both Brazil and France under the previous manager in 2013.

i have put enough bets on to pay off my house if Celtic can actually go all the way.

here in Australia we have had the argument for years about what Ange could do if he had a chance to manage a team in the Champions League. we are about to find out.

TESLA likes this.
  16. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    This.

It’s a group that gives us the opportunity to do something, which is enough for me to get excited about, but let’s not pretend that Shakhtar and Leipzig aren’t looking at our recent European record and believing they can take 4/6 points off us.

Getting something out of this group is do-able, but I would much rather us take an underdog mentality into these matches, from both the players and supporters.

17. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    This also.

It's the same at the beginning of every European campaign though so it's not surprising. The excitement kind of takes over before a ball is kicked which is natural.

People had us in the conference final before we'd even drawn Bodo.

King of Kings, Lewis Kerr and Peej like this.
  18. Mr. Slippyfist

Nope, big birthday for the mrs on the 5th here in Glesga, and I’ve literally got an empty house 5 hours away from Madrid that date

:55::55::55::55:

Cumbernauld Bhoy67 likes this.
  19. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Shotgun the house :ange2:

Cumbernauld Bhoy67 likes this.
  20. Mr. Slippyfist

* shotgun the wife if you want instead :56::56::56: