1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Colts

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Idioteque, Jun 10, 2017.

Discuss Celtic Colts in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Think it was last season or season before they might have got to like the 3rd or 4th round. Which is great for a low league team
    Same with that auchinleck...had a few good cup runs recently

McChiellini.. likes this.
  2. RockhardBoss

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Crilly likes this.
  4. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Be good to have a wee sub forum type thing for the colts make it easier to keep up with them

James Mc, Dannybhoy81 and Noskeil like this.
  5. KG-Henrik

Personally I think the colts team is a terrible idea. Don’t get it. Playing in the Lowland League, * me. This idea will be chucked after this 1 season trial.

6. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    As opposed to our youth not playing atall? It’s a start in the right direction, should of been submitted to league two imo but thats politics.

James Mc, Dublin Celt and Noskeil like this.
  7. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Great idea in so many ways. Will certainly keep the young lads grounded playing against guys who have 2 jobs etc. They’ll be more likely to realise how lucky they are and not waste their opportunities

8. KG-Henrik

I’m familiar with the highland league so imagine a very similar standard. If that’s the benchmark I don’t see any benefits.

It’s no different to sending all players out on loan to various league 1 & 2 teams.

The youth teams have never stopped playing each other either.

9. Foley1888

Bonnyrigg would have probably pushed Kelty for the league last year if it wasn’t for all the games and league getting called in a weird fashion. They are one of the strongest teams in that league I believe.

We also have to remember there was probably about half a team if not more playing with the senior team in the Preston friendly to come back in.

greengrocer likes this.
  10. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    It's not ideal that it's in the lowland league but it's a good positive start.

Playing against men is a different game than playing against other youths. Hopefully their admitted into league 2 next season though.

Having a colts won't mean that players won't get loaned out though,

11. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Its certainly better than before where they literally played zero competitive football bar a few of them in the Glasgow cup

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

12. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Lowland league or not our youngsters and now playing competitively each week which is a good thing.

13. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Agree with this. Will be a good few players that will be beyond the colts and not ready for first team that will be loaned too.

14. Born green

I also think it's a good start. It's certainly better than our teenagers playing against inferior teenagers in friendlies.

However, I still haven't heard much about what the rules are. Are we limited to only playing u23s? And can players go between the first team and the colts at any time?

Hypothetical: Julien needs game time and match sharpness. Could we conceivably loan him to the Colts for a month then take him back, or would it be confined to the transfer windows?

15. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Someone saying here other day essentially two different squads etc. Look back few days in thread

16. Born green

Unless I misread it, that seemed speculative.

Under the assumption that is correct, I'm not sure how much this is going to benefit our first team. It'll be great for the youngsters that had no chance of making it at Celtic anyway, but having our best youth prospects essentially locked away in a team that is playing in a league lower than league 2 isn't much better than just sending them out on loan.

The one big difference is that they will still be getting top tier training facilities and coaches.

17. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I'd argue that's the more important aspect, I'd like to think training at celtic is far better than at an alloa or a queen's Park. A competitive league is just that, it's competition and playing against men will improve them, training together as a team will better allow for developing a coeherant style and should help with the transition (this is where a DoF would really shine through though)

It works well enough in other countries, Spain, Netherlands, Austria, Germany. Why shouldn't it work here.

Bayerns youth play in the regionalia bayern thays probably Scottish league 1 standard and it gives pathways and development

Dublin Celt likes this.
  18. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Surely it can only be good for these young players who get to play competitive * football and can be brought up and come through with the first team. I certainly would hope oluwayemi bosun otoo Wylie letsosa vata Davidson to name a few from Saturday all have a good chance of having a career at Celtic.

19. Born green

Yeah, I think I agree. I've always been sceptical of the benefits of sending players to league 1/2 teams. Are they really being watched? I.e if they have an impressive game, will anyone actually know. And training with really low level teammates is hardly going to push you on to the next level.

So, playing in the low leagues, whilst training at Lennoxtown is certainly better than playing u21 friendlies, but it's ashame it isn't in the SPFL. I hope Colt players can be "recalled" any time in the season, if they impress or we have another crisis.

20. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Seems to work for the likes of Barca with the conveyor belt of youth they bring through... a clear and direct path to the first team. Won’t expect instant results but in years to come we should be producing and more importantly keeping some of the best youth in the country.