1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Callum McGregor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by greengrocer, Jul 5, 2014.

Discuss Callum McGregor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    It was more the guys that always came on calling him ‘Mr Invisible’ and genuinely not seeing what they done on a pitch. Similar used to happen to Lambert, McGregor’s not in the same role but it’s similar to me. Always the guys I enjoyed watching at an actual game. What they can do is phenomenal.

He’s had a * season but don’t know where people are getting he’s not been criticised, he’s been facing accusations of being a Hun all year. Been doing my * in.

Bernie Bhoy and seanm like this.
  2. KG-Henrik

We almost punish him for simply being available every single game. Does he really have a bad game? Not many! Unbelievably reliable. Lots of average(maybe too many)to good games. His major downfall imo is the lack of stand out games. Which is probably the main frustration of this recent criticism. If he had an injury for 2-3months I’d suspect we’d all realise we’d miss him.

He’s the type of player that you appreciate more when you see him live. Passing and ball retention is second to none in our squad. He’s never been a “TV” player if you know what I mean. Example being Forrest can be absolutely * but could be all over a 5min highlights package.

cat123 and Liam Scales like this.
  3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

4. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    He was honking when he came on aswell it’s a gamble do we keep and he has another * poor season or do we cash in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

He was one of Scotland’s best players when he came on from where I was sitting.

6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Aye we suddenly could keep the ball when he came on.

cat123 likes this.
  7. northeast67

He needs a good break away from football, he looks burnt out all the time, he doesn't cover the ground the way he did 2 years ago and at 28 he should.

alex_bhoy likes this.
  8. ticketyboo0 Gold Member Gold Member

Over relied on , needs resting from time to time.

9. Foley1888

Do you know what’s weird I automatically think this too but in reality he had a lengthy break (enforced because of COVID) last year nearly three months and came back to have the worst season for years.

I am sure I read somewhere Callum is football, football, football and a bit of a hermit otherwise, physically he doesn’t look the same player but to me it’s more tactically he needs to be played to his strengths which are going forward not deeper in midfield, especially when there is no obvious defensive midfielder playing next to him. I feel we badly need a midfield anchor to come in. Soro has looked decent but having another to either play with him in Europe or to rotate would be very handy.

Most of his best games for us have been when he’s played in a 3 in CM (often as the most advanced) or playing off the left of the three behind the striker with an offensive left back to provide width.

alex_bhoy likes this.
  10. celtic warrior

Got to up there for the most minutes played by a player in the last years with little break.

That level of physical and mental demand would be draining, even the most physically fit people need a break.

11. murphy88

I thought he was poor when he came on yesterday to be honest. Gave it away a few times and just struggled to really get into the game I thought. Hopefully we get the form under Rodgers back for next season. A player who massively deteriorated under Lennon and Kennedy.

12. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Wonder how many years he will live on "needs a rest" as his excuse for being *? I'd be actively looking for a replacement. Had a good purple patch under Rodgers but has lost it.

Dan Breen and trackebhoy like this.
  13. Cringer67

He's completely lost it. Was sensational under Rodgers but with each passing month I'm beginning to wonder if that was just a purple patch.

trackebhoy likes this.
  14. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    I remember when McGregor was coming through and to be honest I wasn't even that much of a fan but it was clear to see technically he was a very gifted and intelligent player, under Rodgers & in Lennon's first season back he showed how talented he is, he did it over 3-4 years and barely missed a game, just because last year he got absolutely zero standard of tactical or technical coaching and had no rest so now he's suffering a little has he turned into a bad player.

He is an excellent player one who we cannot afford to lose, particularly with a coach coming in who wants to play good football we need players like McGregor for that and for the dressing room.

15. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Well said

16. cat123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry
    I think we'll find under the new manager the will be a return to the CalMac we all know. Ange Postecoglou plays the same style as Rodgers and that's the system Calum was excellent in.

17. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He was impressive tonight and I think it highlights how daft people have been for wanting rid of him. Can't wait to see him return to form for Celtic now.

AdamRS and jimbobers like this.
  18. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Yes sir he can boogie !

19. DuffyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Petrov/Calmac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    lonesome boatman
    He was good tonight, positive and trying passes he we have turned away last season for us.

Hopefully kicks on

20. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Night and day performance wise compared to domestic club season.

That post match interview as well.
    Okay different circumstances to when he was left to do an interview and basically said "we are lost".

But night and day still, guys a much better player than we have seen the last two years.
    Without brown (having to cover for him being so deep) and the general Lennon *, we will see the real McGregor again next year.

Think a lot of players will come back with a fresher approach now that has been sorted.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

AdamRS likes this.