1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. seanm

Is he still here lol HH

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  2. Maestro 08

The misery going around after getting through to a cup final is something else. I'll agree the defending was pretty pathetic but we can't expect to win every game at a canter and when it comes down to it I'll take getting through to a final any way it comes tbh.

Aberdeen have managed to raise their levels for the bigger games this season (Frankfurt win and some good showings in Europe plus a semi final win already this season when down to 10 men) and I for one was expecting a tough game. Leven has also got them on an upwards trajectory recently and he gave us a good game at Pittodrie pre Warnock.

We have seen a big improvement in our own performances recently and let's hope this galvanises the squad even further if they can block out the negativity I think it will.

Liam Scales, murphy88, HTG and 5 others like this.
  3. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    That's the best I've seen Aberdeen play in years. Even when they were at their best a few year back they didn't really press us or play as good periods of football as we saw first half. Added to the fact that was the last thing they essentially had to play for all season.

We weren't great, not awful but not great either and I think we underestimated them slightly. It's not always down to how * celtic were. Give credit where its due to what was a good performance by the opposition. Think that sums up our fans level of entitlement, which, as someone rightly pointed out on the last page, Rodgers has contributed to making worse the past decade or so through his initial level of success, ironically.

We are through. We move.

eire4, martin_d, Darksel and 7 others like this.
  4. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Did you watch the games they played against Frankfurt? They come alive against teams they shouldn’t have a chance against, it must be so frustrating as an Aberdeen fan because all season outwith the games they expect to concede and be poor defensively, they’re a solid unit and Miovski up front adds so much quality and can play up there with nobody near him. They have by far the 3rd best team in the league quality wise, what they’ve done this year has been pathetic. Funniest thing was the most pathetic and only time they went up against a team to punch above their weight, we skelped them 6-0.

Fuelling all the rumours that.

5. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Exactly. The long and short of it is he’s never lost a game at Hampden. 11 wins from 11 if my maths serves me. Pure relentlessness.

Compound that with his overall record against the Huns. We are in a good position heading into the final.

bhroom, martin_d, murphy88 and 4 others like this.
  6. Guchi Gucci Gold Member Gold Member

We are through. Work on the flaws. Move on.

bhroom and NakamuraTastic like this.
  7. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    It's 10 from 10, his 2019 league cup semi final was at Murrayfield.

bhroom likes this.
  8. NoContextCelts

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Would that not be the game at hampden under Neil Lennon?

9. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    That was Rodgers. It was the game Ryan Christie first really cemented his place as a Celtic first XI player.

10. NoContextCelts

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    That was 2018 I'm sure

11. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    It was the 2018/19 League Cup, so yes, it was in 2018, as the final is held in December, but that was when we played a LC SF at Murrayfield.

12. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Guy on KDS posting stuff from a Q&A with Rodgers tonight, some interesting transfer stuff there for anyone wanting a look.

Crilly and NomDePlum like this.
  13. Crilly Hakuhna matata

Here’s what was said on kds:

1st post: Just back in from the q & a with Brendan Rodgers and he was very good. He answered a lot of pretty difficult questions about signings and his plans for the team. The fans asked good questions other than the odd nutter, and he was pretty open in his responses.
    I think we will see significant signings in the summer to fit his player profile. The club clearly made assurances to him when he was brought in, but he wanted to take stock of what players we had, and the squad was too big.
    He did see the summer signings to agree them, and he does have the final say now. He trusted the scouting and reports that were done before he arrived for last summers signings.
    I think he will have a much bigger input this year.

2nd post:
    I don’t want to build your hopes up mate, but one young girl asked what positions did Brendan feel he needed to strengthen first. She was quite quietly spoken. Brendan asked her what she thought we needed to buy
    Brendan the. responded did you say Goal keeper, left back, centre back, 2 wingers and a midfielder. [​IMG][​IMG]. I think he was trying to give a pretty clear hint
    Another guys asked how many quality players did he think we would bring in. Brendan replied that he can’t say that, because he mentioned a number last summer and it was used as a stick to hit him and the club with.
    He also talked a lot about needing players in the 25 to 28 year old range, guys in their prime with experience. Projects are OK but we need established players to help the youngest ones progress. And how ange has the likes of Kyogo and starfelt in that age group in his first season.
    Whether or not we get what we want is impossible to know, but it’s clear that the manager is on the same wavelength as us.

Artorias, bhroom, martin_d and 5 others like this.
  14. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Absolutely, this is the summer that will either put us light years ahead or we finally let them catch up and give them a league if we go onto win it this seasons

We win the league this season we need to make sure that the team and Rodgers are backed with quality to stamp out any threat from them for years to come.

NakamuraTastic and martin_d like this.
  15. honda Gold Member Gold Member

We've got so much in the bank I wouldnt put it past them they've been stashing it towards completing the bowl, keeping our seating numbers above them and the financial advantage that affords forever not just a year or two. Although could still spend £30m+ and the bowl so no excuses this season if we win.

bhoy81 likes this.
  16. murphy88

Think the answers from the Q&A pretty much confirm what a lot of us thought. He has had to take the players we got last summer as there wasn’t any alternatives. The scouting/money men have once again let the club down badly.

17. Sgt Neppers*

Is it just me, or does Rodgers seem more relaxed since the dismissal of Lawell jnr. He's probably had reassurances regardless of the this title, and is happy with it.

That's how it seems to me anyway.

NakamuraTastic, Rydo1888* and Crilly like this.
  18. seanm

Is he still here lol HH

19. seanm

And will let us down again next pre season.HH

NakamuraTastic and murphy88 like this.
  20. murphy88

More than likely sadly