1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I can get on board with most of that, mate (apart from the bit in bold ha ha, but that's a matter for HP&R rather than Celtic Chat). But yeah, I think we agree about more than we disagree about. :50:

King of Kings likes this.
  2. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Personally, I don't think she merited it TBH. I want to see journalists questioning things. If she'd turned round and told him to stick his patronising attitude where the sun doesn't shine, I'd have struggled to take his side TBH. However, that doesn't mean I like to see Celtic fans trying to make this a bigger deal than it needs to be, I don't like seeing people get up on their high horses over it and I don't like people saying it's definitely sexist (or that it's definitely not, for that matter).

This kind of thing is a big part of what's wrong with our society now IMHO.

JML67 and King of Kings like this.
  3. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    I'm finding that the whole wokey let's not say anything to offend anyone thing is backfiring on me.. and now I think bollocks to it all and speak my mind a lot more.

Screen Shot 2024-02-26 at 16.25.02.JPG

ddub11 likes this.
  4. Sgt Neppers*

Perspective...

5. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    What do people actually mean when they say the questioning was out of order?

I think very tame overall. It doesn’t even feel like there’s an insane amount of media pressure on Rodgers (compared to say, Lennon or Delia). He’s hinted at a ‘narrative’ but i genuinely don’t see one.

The frustration directed at him has been from the support, and feels fairly valid. We’ve been poor this season. I’m fairly certain he’s even admitted as much.

Sween and Sgt Neppers* like this.
  6. James Gold Member Gold Member

I'm firmly in the who gives a * camp

JML67, telle, packybhoy and 14 others like this.
  7. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Steve Hughes had the best take on this: if you find it offensive, you can be offended.

For example, the other day, I came across the following racist, sexist and ageist comment in a video about dictionaries.

As a middle-aged white man who has worked very hard and has literally nothing, I found the assumption that lies behind this throwaway comment genuinely offensive and upsetting. But, OK, I can be offended. It doesn't mean the people who made the video are bad people or racists or sexists, or that it should be censored or something (it does mean I'm now more cautious about watching their videos, but that's a natural reaction IMO).

[​IMG]

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  8. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Neither do I.

As you said, the fans are * off and rightly so. It’s not being stoked by the media because it doesn’t need to be.

9. Martybhoy53

The hun loving lickspittles in the Scottish media will look for any kind of negativity regarding our club and the support. They can’t take it that we’ve been putting the scum in their place over the last decade. * them all the mutant * and I hope we do write our own story to get it right up them.

10. Waiting For An Alibi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Talking of dinosaurs

back4st.jpg

11. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Think he was being condescending rather than sexist because she kept trying to needle him and get a headline or reaction. Would rather he outwitted her some other way and kept a bit more composure but she's a hun boot with an agenda so * her. Surely we've got bigger fish to fry than lengthy debates on this.
    Defo feels like people gleefully taking an opportunity to bash BR here, everyone lapped it up when Ange gave the media short shrift.

telle and HoopyT like this.
  12. Sween

I think the same and before this particular incident I think a lot of the narrative actually came from himself. I read that before January he raised the issue of "needing quality" 16 times in interviews. Then after the window closed and he was asked about failing to bring in quality he seemed to get wound up as if the question was loaded or unfair. He has flip flopped in tone a few times over this season.

On this one, it is much ado about nothing to me. But at the same time I don't think it's a great sign when a manager loses his composure. Ultimately he meant to sound patronizing and it was but if he said "good lad" to a male reporter no one would care.

13. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I think the mistake people are making, is expecting a coherent, truthful narrative from Brendan Rodgers. :56:

NakamuraTastic and Sween like this.
  14. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

You can have an opinion on his tone and the words he used towards a female journalist no problem but if, as a Celtic fan, you can’t see a media driven narrative currently then you either live under a rock or are blind.

There absolutely is a media driven hun narrative and it appears to have seeped in to even elements of our own support going by both these posts.

15. Bonobhoy

We have more pressing issues to deal with than this bullshit tbh.

16. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    They're getting paid obscenely more than those at AZ, Bodo, Copenhagen etc yet are performing far less than them.

neilly1987 likes this.
  17. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    Much better from Rodgers yesterday in terms of game management and also looking a lot more engaged. Hopefully the start of a better run.
    The post match interview is a storm in a teacup. Poor word choice but didn’t merit the flak he’s taking for it.

18. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    So…..what is it?

Less of the ‘hun narrative’ seeping into my posts, thanks. Poor form from a mod here.

19. saltire78

I stand by the buck doesn't stop, although the consequences most certainly will fall, with him...

If I (anyone!) go to my boss and say there's too much work, they need to hire more people, give better equipment and remove obstacles and their answer is "No!" are they to blame, or me? Rodgers was on record saying he needed a handful of quality players - ON * RECORD, PUBLICLY! It was as near to a cry for help as a professional manager could make. They gave him a youth player from Germany and a reserve youth from a lesser English team...

And there's always a million armchair scouts with no real experience giving opinions, especially after the first few weeks looking back retrospectively. But most sensible reviews I heard were to the effect he's decent but been derailed by injuries. How else would a player capped at all levels for Germany need a transfer to Scottish football. Brought in to train/develop and he's a solid investment, at reasonable risk. As the BIG SIGNING of an important window is incompetence by the board.

20. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    That's true of the second half not the first. First was as bad as we've been for me.

paulie walnuts likes this.