1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc

I think you’re looking far too deeply into it, tbh.

He operates in the corporate world and has done for decades. He’ll be well aware that it’s inappropriate.

JamesM09 likes this.
  2. murphy88

The world has gone to * anyway mate.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  3. murphy88

Why is it sexist?

honda likes this.
  4. Bayern Bru Gold Member Gold Member

Next time I want him to smirk and call her a bad girl.

* the media, they are the enemy from a starting point and I care nothing for how we speak to them.

5. Easydays

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy Mc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    BR has touched on it…they have to keep the narrative going somehow. Likely anyone upset over his comments was just upset at the result.

6. Onefootwonder

Because after he lost his cool he intentionally tried to offend the journalist on the basis of her *. The comment was meant to be demeaning.

The manager of our club shouldn't be reduced to that kind of behaviour. It wasn't a particularly difficult interview.

It's not just other football teams making a deal of it. Women's groups are speaking out about it too. Rodgers does owe an apology for his conduct.

King of Kings, SwissCelt and Bhoyyo like this.
  7. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    Thanks, this is exactly how I see it. I'm not even much of a champion for women's issues (not that I don't care) but when BR hit out with that good girl comment I was immediately like "wtaf"

Even if your attitude towards women is 10-15 years out-of-date, don't you think the Celtic manager should have more class than that?

Westlondonscot likes this.
  8. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady, Artur Boruc
    A man with a brain would not have used such a dumb term. He just makes himself look like a proper weirdo. You can have a go at a journalist in many ways, calling her a good girl is trying to condescend her because of her gender. Of all the possibility to call her out that was the least intelligent and most childish you can chose.

Probably tried to do an Ange and because he's a * weirdo it came out like that. We already knew he's a narcissist but apparently his pathetic personality doesn't stop there. If only he wouldn't have become a similar pathetic manager as well.

Instead of mimimi with a journalist he should try to get the performance of the last 20 minutes out of the team. It's ridiculous I have to congratulate a Celtic manager for 20 good minutes in such an important game. It's worrying he is not capable of preparing the team to be up for it from minute 1.

9. Bangarangura

Whatever happens at the end of the season, the board needs to cut their losses and get rid of him . We need to start building something for the future. Ange was always going to the b team games and talking about getting them playing the same way as the first team, not seen Brendan involved in anything like that so far. Thankfully though, don't want them playing the same as the first team are now

10. BigDoggyWoofWoof

!00%. If we were top of the league by 10 points, everyone would instantly dismiss it. Mountain out of a molehill.

11. murphy88

Bullshit. Will he have to apologise to all the men he has called good lad or similar as well?

She was happy to dish it out, Rodgers being condescending back to her in response is something she will have to take on the chin.

It was 100% condescending, it was intended to be. In no way was it sexist. Faux outrage from people who have a gripe with Rodgers. So transparent.

telle and Bayern Bru like this.
  12. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

When your appointment splits an united fanbase, you need to be near perfect..

It was definitely a mistake bringing him back even if we manage to win the league, lots will still want rid..

He's talking about a negative narrative against us, when the truth a fair chunk of that negativity is coming from us, ourselves.

JML67, Twisty, Artorias and 4 others like this.
  13. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    * sake, you’d have thought we’d just lost or drawn again with the reaction in this thread. Enjoy the win and move on to the next game… this title will need us all there as one. Rodgers subs worked out well today and changed the game. Hope this puts to bed us seeing Kuhn again.

14. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Rodgers sanctioned the Kuhn signing tho.

15. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I'd say a fair chunk is coming from Rodgers. His recent interviews have been car crashes. Football moves fast and what was great 5 years before doesn't cut it now.

Same thing happened to MON and Strachan. Football moved on they didn't.

16. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    What’s your point? Rodgers can also drop him too regardless of signing him. He doesn’t have to play him solely because of that reason

17. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Well, this is Rodgers thread and rightly you've given him credit for his subs having an impact yesterday.. whilst also saying hope it's the last we see Kuhn.. he signed him so that's on him too.. he either can't spot a decent player or has no influence over our transfer business, both worrying.

The_Bhoy, JML67 and NomDePlum like this.
  18. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Aye, he's probably trying to create a siege mentality.. when in truth our performances have done that by themselves.

Artorias, NomDePlum and Random Review like this.
  19. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Was thinking the same.

Fans of any team are naturally skeptical of the press, but the ‘narrative’ in this case has mainly just been our own fanbase telling it as it is - that we’ve been poor this season while looking disjointed on and off the park.

Maybe an attempt to create a bit of a siege mentality around the club, but just a crass and demeaning way of doing so.

Artorias, JC Anton and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  20. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I agree that women have a right to tell someone not to say that, because it can be and has been used in a sexist way. I also think it was patronising. I still disagree on 2 points, though.

Firstly, the above doesn't imply that it definitely was sexist and therefore Rodgers is a dislikeable person (which was the original assertion- not by you- that started this off). I want to insist that only Rodgers (and maybe people who know him well) know whether it was sexist or not. No one on TC really knows one way or the other if we are honest, although I think we can know in context that it was patronising and condescending.

Secondly, I dislike giving moral weight to what the corporate world does or doesn't find "acceptable".

I get what you say in that last part and that's fair enough; but there have been one or two posters on here trying to make it into a massive deal (again, not you).

Artorias, NakamuraTastic and murphy88 like this.